White Stripes Emerald City 10 Jones

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
binky79
Art Expert

Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:52 pm

RobJones wrote:210.

The only prints I've ever printed a second edition of are:

1. Turbonegro Elvis: Early in my "career" and I didn't have much to sell at a Flatstock. I reprinted it with some changes in the artwork (Tom Parker spider in the web and Elvis & Jesse heads on Chang & Eng) and changed the colors of the bottom credits to distinguish it further.

2. Townes Van Zandt "Be Here to Love Me" Movie poster: I can't even remember how many times this has been reprinted (Five maybe?). The director of the film sold them on her site. It kept her afloat while waiting for money on the movie after it sold to Palm. It's her movie and her poster for all I'm concerned, so I was fine with her asking for reprints. I got paid pretty well for the design (twice actually), so I only asked for 10 copies each time it got reprinted. I'd pencil in a Roman numeral next to the number for whatever print run it was from III on up.

The first is easy to spot because it doesn't have a printer credit (Billy at Obsolete filled it in by accident when burning the screens). The second one is easy to spot because the colors are wrong (D&L printed my original colors. Billy drymounted up and used the wrong colors when he first printed it. However, I liked Billy's colors better so for every edition after that I had Steve copy Billy's color scheme). There's also an all blue version printed for a special screening in Marfa.

In fact she asked for another reprint recently. I'll probably try to do a copper version this time.

3. The White Stripes: Glace Bay Aluminum version: Second edition is used lightly here. Steve had to print my personal copies/band & management copies/band friends and family copies later because of the time crunch to get them to the show on time (crazy locales way north in Canada are incapable of having overnight delivery due to the terrain and I guess lack of a cohesive network).

It was the first thing he supposedly had printed on metal, and he figured out a few things in the interim between making the initial show copies and the copies printed much later. The results were very different so I wanted it known to anyone who bought one from me that it was not like the ones sold at the show:

a. Metal was properly prepared, cleaned (no grease residue spots interfering with the ink), and cut (no sharp edges)

b. Proper inks were used designed to print on metal. The result is more vibrant colors and vastly increased resistance to scratching and peeling over the initial effort (you could rake your fingernails across these, although I don't advise doing that).

c. They are numbered (etched into the metal on the back) to further separate them from the unnumbered show copies.

A lot of these had to be printed as this was the version The Stripes wanted sent to their friends and family because of the significance of the show (they don't normally do that for any other poster, at least the ones I've designed). I also gave out a lot to my family members because it made a nice gift and I got a ton of requests for it (four aunts, six cousins, niece, nephew, sister, mother and mother's best friend).

Of the show copies there were only 60 or so sold at the show (100 were made for the show, but only 66 or 67 made it there intact in two boxes. A third box was completely wrecked by customs agents and sent back to D&L. I know three copies were held back of those that made it to the show by the merch manager).

I don't know why anyone would need to ask. I like to think I'm pretty up front about things (to a fault if you've suffered an art critique from me).

210, 420, or 630. I don't care. I'm happy I ended up with one of them. I can't stop staring at this thing. :drool: Thanks Rob.

Edit: Quoted Rob for the new page
RobJones
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:13 pm

If I made a second edition (who knows, maybe they'll ask for one on the 25th anniversary of the film), I'd print the red roofed version used in the Warner Brothers CD/DVD bundle booklet:

I still might make a planed version I've talked to Steve about for a couple years but there's no deadline and thus no impetus to go forward on it. I wanted to print each element on a separate sheet of glass (like 2 planes for snow, one for the middle ground building and black crags, and the background mountains and sky fixed to the back). I'd get Steve's neighboring wood guy to make a slotted shadowbox frame that held it all together (I'd even make some variant planes so you can remove one or two from the box and replace them). It would cost a fudge ton though.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:14 pm

Use some of those Mondo millions.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
southerngarden
Art Expert

Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:16 pm

^ that is so drymounting cool! :notworthy: :notworthy:

thanks for posting Rob!
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:34 pm

Thanks, Rob!
Damn, a planed version on glass? :drool:
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
RobJones
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:37 pm

Codeblue wrote:Use some of those Mondo millions.
I didn't get paid by Mondo for any of my directorial/supervising duties until this year. I made sure Mitch was paid when I got League to hire him on, but I didn't want to impede the company during those growing years (ask Doyle). I was happy to get posters and free admission into movies (or skip the line at at QT Fest). I also thought it could develop into a new avenue for poster artists and something I could potentially do if gigposter jobs dried up.

It's only been in the past two years or so as we've grown and poster output has increased that I needed to be paid as it eats up most of my time.
RobJones
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:40 pm

Rick_a_c wrote:Thanks, Rob!
Damn, a planed version on glass? :drool:
If you look online you can get a half-ass idea of it by looking at the gold record award stuff I've designed for Stripes stuff (I think Blackwell has posted images of them on Third Man). The jewel box folks really do a great job with construction. The Icky Thump one has the Tin Man and Dorothy screenprinted onto the back of the glass with a separate piece screenprinted for the mountains in front of the gold record (starfield is screened and fixed as a background).
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:27 am

Received mine today and it is gorgeous. I can't keep it. This belongs in a White Stripes fan's collection.
nevadinova
Art Expert

Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:23 am

harrykeogh wrote:Received mine today and it is gorgeous. I can't keep it. This belongs in a White Stripes fan's collection.
So....you would have kept it if it was ugly? =)
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:48 pm

nevadinova wrote:
harrykeogh wrote:Received mine today and it is gorgeous. I can't keep it. This belongs in a White Stripes fan's collection.
So....you would have kept it if it was ugly? =)
:lol:
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:33 pm

RobJones wrote:I also thought it could develop into a new avenue for poster artists and something I could potentially do if gigposter jobs dried up.
What happens when movie posters dries up?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
redbear
Art Expert

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:03 pm

So what have we learned here about the art experts on this site?
Rick_a_c wrote:My point (so far) is that there are definitely 2 editions, each of 210 prints. Therefore, there are 420 of this image now rather than 210. That makes a difference in a number of possible ways.

That being said, I think EB should be able to document and segment the 2 versions in the 'correct' manner. If possible, shouldn't the explanation come from the artist?

Also, some/most people would have liked to have known that the drop a few weeks ago was for something other than a copy of the original edition of 210. It doesn't matter to me whether the artist is popular or a grammy winner or eccentric, all of which Rob is.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:57 pm

Redbear,
I was wrong. Dead wrong. That's what making assumptions does to ya. The only thing I can say in my defense, which is feeble for sure, is that I contacted Rob to ask him about the situation. I definitely should have kept my "guess" to myself until I heard back from him.

Sorry, Rob :oops:
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
RobJones
Art Connoisseur

Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:27 am

Codeblue wrote:
RobJones wrote:I also thought it could develop into a new avenue for poster artists and something I could potentially do if gigposter jobs dried up.
What happens when movie posters dries up?
I'll use my "mondo millions" to build a zeppelin and fly away to Katmandu.

I've heard Bob Seeger say good things about it.
RobJones
Art Connoisseur

Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:29 am

Rick_a_c wrote:Redbear,
I was wrong. Dead wrong. That's what making assumptions does to ya. The only thing I can say in my defense, which is feeble for sure, is that I contacted Rob to ask him about the situation. I definitely should have kept my "guess" to myself until I heard back from him.

Sorry, Rob :oops:

All cool.