Transporting Prints When Moving

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Xander
Art Expert

Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:10 pm

So I'm moving across town and I'd like advice on moving prints from one place to another. All of my prints are pretty much flat, so I don't want to roll them, stick them in a tube and unroll them again half an hour later risking any damage. I have one of those crappy lightweight portfolios, but prints carried upright in that thing have incurred corner damage in the past. My only thinking is that I could put my prints, already in poly sleeves, between foam core boards, fasten them with binder clips and lay them flat in my trunk with something heavy on top to avoid them sliding around.

Other ideas?
recycler
Art Expert

Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:04 am

Similar past situation: left majority of them in the flat file drawer, but they all had sleeves. Another technique:

Get two sheets of somewhat heavy duty very smooth plywood (3 by 4 feet). Make sure there are no splinters or anything sticking out. Sandwich some of your big posters or real nice ones between the two boards. Then I took some mini c clamps on all sides. Those will hold that bad boy together for sure. It worked great, even had that sucker tilted on it's side, prob not smart, but worked. Not talking crap either, I trusted all my stouts in there. I would do something similar again. Heavy but protective. Oh, I also taped the edge to ensure no splinters...

Good luck
rmoore
Art Expert

Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:26 am

Well, I recently moved from Orlando to Austin with all my stuff in the back of a semi.

I had my prints in one of those big mylar sleeves with the stitching on the sides, then put that in a big poly bag, then sandwiched it between 2 double sheets of foamcore, and taped it all together with duct tape all around the edges. It was solid as a rock. No problems. Recycler's plywood idea is probably even better.
TattooMike
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:30 am

Substituting MDF for the plywood would eliminate the chance for splinters. Probably a better option.
ironjaiden wrote: ...because I'm a 14 year old boy trapped in a middle aged asshole suit.
recycler
Art Expert

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:05 am

TattooMike wrote:Substituting MDF for the plywood would eliminate the chance for splinters. Probably a better option.
You got it, a splinter to the poster is no good, a splinter or two to the hand don't matter.

Maybe fiber board has come along way, but I wanted something sturdy which also had no chance to break. Afterward, I made a little flat file with those two left over sheets and some scraps. I like how IKEA stuff looks and how easy it is on the wallet, but there is no way their desks or the like last with out being real careful. To me that always was the problem with fiber board, kinda flimsy and breakable - these problems I wanted to bypass.
TattooMike
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:18 am

I don't own anything from Ikea, so I can't comment on the quality of their furniture. I will say that MDF is every bit as sturdy as plywood. It's actually used to make plinths for audiophile turntables because of it's rigid strength, density and vibration resistance. I'm not sure what you think of when you hear MDF, but I've bought several pieces of it for shelves and am very comfortable with it's ability to take abuse. It's what I'd use in this situation.
ironjaiden wrote: ...because I'm a 14 year old boy trapped in a middle aged asshole suit.
maden
Art Expert

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:35 am

MDF is denser than plywood.
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

TattooMike
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:55 am

Before commenting I knew that MDF was prefered over plywood in audiophile applications, but wasn't sure why. So I just did some research (google is your friend). MDF is denser and more stable than plywood. It's also much cheaper than birch plywood (which is considered the best option - get 13-15 ply). The drawbacks are that MDF is much heavier than plywood, does not take screws well and is not as strong as plywood of the same thickness. The 1/2" MDF I used is appears to be very strong, and it's stability and affordability would make me lean towards using it in this case. But birch plywood seems to be the prefered choice for builders and furniture makers.
maden
Art Expert

Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:23 am

It takes nails worse than it takes screws.
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

recycler
Art Expert

Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:09 pm

4 real - I stand corrected.

I guess I just equated MDF with particle board...thanks for the info. I will look into MDF in the future.
Asoli
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:49 am

When I moved from socal to Vegas, I put all my prints between foam core and used binder clips to keep it together. I then out that whole assembly in a huge mirror box from uline.
Xander
Art Expert

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:19 pm

Yeah, probably just going to go with the foam core option since I don't have very many prints.

Thanks everyone.
phishstix101
Art Expert

Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:28 pm

Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:32 pm

I'm surprised and disappointed that there aren't more posts about moving the stash. Several people who moved recently haven't weighed in.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
colflesh
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:15 pm

I moved 200+ posters from Chicago to DC. For the majority of the prints, I used wide, sturdy tubes and rolled between 10-20 in a tube with lots of kraft paper, and I put the tubes into a single box. Box was loaded into a U-Pack shipping crate with the rest of the stuff being moved and delivered a little over a week later and all prints were fine.