Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
flashphishin
Art Expert

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:55 pm

RiotAct wrote:
charter wrote:Nobody is going to frame and hang 20 Whalen Disney prints.
ohh I bet there's someone out there who would :lol:
GUILTY. 2 daughters and they love it. Wife approved too. 4 framed already. 2 going.
And perillo too. Keeping everyone happy ok's the addiction.
Limited Paper Mayne
thebends9 wrote:You fruitcakes need thicker skin.
smetenn
Art Enthusiast

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:03 pm

What time does mondo usually drop?
chisoxfan2424
Art Expert

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:08 pm

smetenn wrote:What time does mondo usually drop?
Midnight :wink:
rmoore wrote:Can't trust someone that doesn't like Jurassic Park...
Weinbeezy
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:23 pm

chisoxfan2424 wrote:
yay! see you guys tonight :roll:
RelaxingDragon
Art Expert

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:39 pm

chisoxfan2424 wrote:
If there's ever a Cinderella that'd actually be a good time for the drop.
RiotAct
EB Team

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:52 pm

charter wrote:Anyone who says they don't care about value is lying
This should be posted in big bold letters by one of the mods, inside the black titlebar at the very top of the EB Forum page.
busstees
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:07 pm

Celsius wrote:Those who want it more limited should be happy once the sideshow variants release.
I would be happy.....if sideshow's site wouldn't crash. People complain about Mondo, but the site never crashes like that even on drops way bigger.

The whole reason I'm willing to pay $50 for some ink on a sheet of paper is because it's limited. If it's not limited it shouldn't cost $50. If it's just about the art then pay the artist their fee and sell em until people stop buying. I really think Mondo is just trying to find that magic number that will sell out without going over that number and having a bunch of leftovers eating into the profit. I really can't blame them at all. It's good business. I do the same when selling t-shirts for a local podcast. I'll up the limited edition to meet demand and if I don't sell out then next time I lower the edition to make sure I do sell out.
charter
Art Expert

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:20 pm

PorkBelly wrote:
charter wrote:Anyone who says they don't care about value is lying imo. . . . You can enjoy the hunt as much as the prey you catch.

Not everyone.
I would bet those people have sold a print on here for more than face so if those people want to step forward 8) . I would also bet those people have more prints than they will ever frame. You can be proud of the value and enjoy the art. If your heart doesn't race and you don't get nervous and sweaty on a drop day then you are super rich or have no pulse. It feels good that I have one print of 30 or 300 and was able to beat countless people. The art you love is now enriched with a personal story behind it...a badge of honor so to speak. Everyone has a trophy of some sort in their house or has wanted to be better at something than others. It's human/animal nature.

This topic comes up every once in a while and it will never get old or die. Mondo knows the value of limited and they wouldn't be where they are today if the runs were unlimited or in thousands. This website wouldn't exist or be a ghost town if everyone could get everything they wanted. I would never have met Chisox whom I know we will one day meet in person and battle it out in a test of JP knowledge at a MMM.
Dnovi
Art Expert

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:54 pm

This edition size BS makes me think how no one has the Captain America litho prints on their ISO. How the Inn Keeper at 200 didn't fly off the shelf. It's about many things but print size is a factor. If I like a film, the art and the artist I'm going for it.

If you disagree I'll be happy to allow you to prove me wrong by straight up trading a reg stout for its variant.
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:13 pm

People fudge on everything.

I wash my hands every time I touch a grocery cart.
nopey23
Art Enthusiast

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:14 pm

busstees wrote:
Celsius wrote:Those who want it more limited should be happy once the sideshow variants release.
I would be happy.....if sideshow's site wouldn't crash. People complain about Mondo, but the site never crashes like that even on drops way bigger..
Yeah - sideshow SUCKS. I mean I'm sure their intent is fine and their CS might be good... but don't hype a release all day on twitter if your site can't handle it.

Then don't take phone orders for a few people and then cut it off when the site is still down.

So bitter about that drop - maybe I'm alone, but I was by a computer for like eight hours while they teased it on twitter. Then the site crashes... I call and they say they just stopped taking phone orders. Site comes back up I get it in cart... then its gone from my cart. Then its waitlisted, and of course I wasn't one of the lucky orders to be converted.

Just a bad experience - if you can't handle the traffic make it 100% random without any additional hype. Grr...
Diesmos
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:21 pm

RiotAct wrote:
charter wrote:Anyone who says they don't care about value is lying
This should be posted in big bold letters by one of the mods, inside the black titlebar at the very top of the EB Forum page.
Man, you sound so like one of those '11 guys these days... :roll: :wink:
phubar2
Art Expert

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:27 pm

1. These edition sizes aren't that much bigger.

2. Whalen dropped the ball on Pinochio merely based on how he drew his nose. The long growing nose is Pinochio.

3. Sideshow Collectibles can kiss my ass.
Last edited by phubar2 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meskell
Art Expert

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:27 pm

Edition sizes of 300 - 600 are tiny by Disney standards. Most of their limited edition items run in the thousands. And the people that spends hundreds if not thousands on "mall art" do so for editions also in very high hundreds if not thousands. When you spend $50 for a poster you should count yourself lucky that the edition is under 1000 and that it is not a litho.
Wanda: I can't stand people. I hate them. Do you hate them?
Henry: No, but I seem to feel better when they're not around.
jimmysleftbrain
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:28 pm

I'm also relatively new to this forum. There's always going to be tons of y'all that have been here before me, and many that will join after. Since joining the forum, I've discovered the community that exits is pretty cool. From art discussion, to giveaways, to meet up's at events, it's been great to hear peoples thought, opinions, and terrible attempts at jokes. I even had a chance to sit down and have some margaritas with a couple of you at MMM2. At the end of the day, i feel like the people that are here, and contributing to the site, creating threads, are all collectors. And just cause some of us are new to the forum, doesn't mean that we're all new to the idea of collecting. The idea of having a collection that was of value, was probably introduced to me as a kid, hearing stories about some baseball card that was worth a ton of cash. Baseball cards were never my thing, I did have some first edition Magic the Gathering cards though... The bulk of my collecting manifested itself in recent years with vinyl records. The thing there, vinyl records aren't retaining their value as much these days. With the resurgence of the format, artists are re-issuing albums that were previously only available in a limited sense. The fact that I paid $300 for a first pressing of Wilco's Summerteeth, only to have it re-issued on a vinyl that anyone can grab in any record store for $20 doesn't make me love the album any less. It doesn't keep me from looking for other records that I want, because I like listening to the records. I like the album sized artwork, the attention that goes into liner notes, and the entire "experience" of listening to a record one side at a time. I feel like its process, and that process makes it a more enjoyable experience. Also the fact that these records will sound as amazing in 50 years as they do today, baring my house burning down, which would suck, lends to my continued collecting.

Now before this post gets flagged for being in the wrong thread, my point is this: collectors or no, everyone has a reason for F5'ing on a Friday. Some prints get picked up because the art is amazing. Some are aided by the benefit of being done by a highly sought after artist. Others get snatched for being associated with a film/band that is beloved by the buyer. And everyone has a different opinion of which prints are baddass, and which ones are passes. Even in my own house, there is a difference of opinion as to which will be framed first. I bet Whalen does the entire animated Disney series. Time will tell.

Mondo continues to draw more and more followers, and prints will become tougher to acquire. Having a higher run might give those folks who are trying to complete their Disney collection an easier time to make that happen. I'm really only interested in a few Disney titles, and I'll have to see the artwork before I commit to it. I have to imagine that Robin Hood will be one I chase pretty actively. I f'ing love that movie. The Incredible's too. And if those prints turn into a highly sought after item, and their value skyrockets, I'll probably throw down the extra cash and get the Museum glass. And perhaps that's a big part of it too, having a print that someone else wants. I've come to accept the fact that, barring winning the lottery, I'll not have a set of Moss' Star Wars. So it goes. There's always a brass ring to chase.

Final rant, whatever your reason you've chosen to be a part of a community of art collectors. Whether or not you see it that way, eh, that's up to you. If you don't consider a print to be worth the paper its printed on due to the size of the run, or you just hate the art, don't buy it or PB for somebody else. Because until these things stop selling out, they will sell out every time. And at the very least, that means that artists are getting paid to make art. And sometimes a room needs a little less of Monet's haystacks, and a little more of Doyle's neon DeLorean.

Stay thirsty my friends.