If a Print is damaged what is it worth?

General art-related discussion.
itschris
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:50 pm

Well, the thing is that the seller shipped the print..in a SMALL USPS tube, not taped...nothing. He just stuck the print in the tube..no craft paper..and sent it on its way. :evil:
Codeblue wrote:That might be one of the stupidest, most irresponsible things I've ever read.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:52 pm

I refuse to play these guessing games.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
jamesgunter
Art Expert

in ten + years i think ive had maybe one tube come slightly damaged. (seen lots of improper packing INSIDE the tube)

the bottom line is, if it is damaged during shipping then the insurance should cover it (if no ins. then its your fault)

or the artist will usually replace it
virtualmert
Art Expert

I like damaged posters, they are cheap.
:cautiously removes pants:
student42
Art Expert

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:57 pm

$11.56
ImageI like pie!
itschris
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:58 pm

the thing is that it was insured by USPS and the seller is getting the full insurance money back..be he gave me the option of either keeping the print and getting 50% of my money back or i send the print back, he sends my money back..and pretty much he keeps the print and the money he sold the print for, which imo is not right..

just wanted to see what other people suggest or do. I paid for a mint item not a 50% damage product...but I dont want the seller to have the "lock and key"
Codeblue wrote:That might be one of the stupidest, most irresponsible things I've ever read.
RiotAct
EB Team

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:01 pm

itschris wrote:Well, my situation is that I received a print from a seller on ebay. Item was damaged by USPS, we filed a USPS insurance claim, we get the insurance claim from USPS. Now he says, either get 50% and keep the print or send the print back I get my money back

Well, imo, its not fair for the seller to keep the print and the money or I get 50% of my money back keep a damaged print and he keeps the other 50% for his own pleasure for something he didn't do and gets more money out of his print then what he originally wanted.

What would you guys do?
oh... eBay??? as the buyer, you're golden; just file a Paypal claim if he's being an asshole about it.
jojobadass
Art God

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:01 pm

I'll take "C" Bob
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
oldfartatplay
Art Expert

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:03 pm

RiotAct wrote:
itschris wrote:Well, my situation is that I received a print from a seller on ebay. Item was damaged by USPS, we filed a USPS insurance claim, we get the insurance claim from USPS. Now he says, either get 50% and keep the print or send the print back I get my money back

Well, imo, its not fair for the seller to keep the print and the money or I get 50% of my money back keep a damaged print and he keeps the other 50% for his own pleasure for something he didn't do and gets more money out of his print then what he originally wanted.

What would you guys do?
oh... eBay??? as the buyer, you're golden; just file a Paypal claim if he's being an asshole about it.
Yep, send it back. Buy another that's not broken.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:03 pm

itschris wrote:the thing is that it was insured by USPS and the seller is getting the full insurance money back..be he gave me the option of either keeping the print and getting 50% of my money back or i send the print back, he sends my money back..and pretty much he keeps the print and the money he sold the print for, which imo is not right..

just wanted to see what other people suggest or do. I paid for a mint item not a 50% damage product...but I dont want the seller to have the "lock and key"
What the hell are you talking about?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
franklinstowr
Flipper

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:04 pm

itschris wrote:the thing is that it was insured by USPS and the seller is getting the full insurance money back..be he gave me the option of either keeping the print and getting 50% of my money back or i send the print back, he sends my money back..and pretty much he keeps the print and the money he sold the print for, which imo is not right..

his options to you sound extremely shady. First of all, he already got paid for the print from the initial sale. He is not losing any money. Second, there is no guarantee that if you send him the print back he will pay you.

What I would do is file a claim with ebay/paypal, indicating item not as described and making sure to document the demands he made to you. Something just doesn't sound right here.

It is the sellers responsibility to get the item to you in the condition as described.

If you're unsure about filing the claim, call paypal first and explain the situation to them, they can explain the options you have available to you
hirschy75
Art Expert

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:05 pm

Nothing.... gimme
reminder: ink on paper
geezer
Art Expert

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:09 pm

What would you guys do?
If it was insured the Post Office will want it before they pay the claim. No one wins :hanging:
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:14 pm

Send the print back and get a full refund and buy another. The seller now has a damaged print that he will lose money on. Hence, the insurance covered his damaged print. Probably will be a learning experience on how to ship prints for the seller.

The buyer sending back the damaged product is the norm.
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:19 pm

franklinstowr wrote:

his options to you sound extremely shady. First of all, he already got paid for the print from the initial sale. He is not losing any money. Second, there is no guarantee that if you send him the print back he will pay you.

What I would do is file a claim with ebay/paypal, indicating item not as described and making sure to document the demands he made to you. Something just doesn't sound right here.

It is the sellers responsibility to get the item to you in the condition as described.

If you're unsure about filing the claim, call paypal first and explain the situation to them, they can explain the options you have available to you
If you bought this off ebay, just open a case. When they tell you to ship back the print, and they will, they will pay for your return shipping and give you a printing label with delivery confirmation. In Ebays eyes, they will see that the seller offered you a full refund if you return it, or a 50% discount to keep it. Either option will be fine with Ebay. When you do the case through Ebay, the refund is automated. Once they get proof you shipped it back, they will automatically refund you. That is how it worked twice for me.
Last edited by harrykeogh on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.