Is print collecting dying?

General art-related discussion.
jojobadass
Art God

Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:01 pm

RiotAct wrote:I don't believe you, Jojo... let me see your records

It's apples and oranges yo
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
Deadareus
Art Expert

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:03 pm

good topic.

from a relatively newb perspective i think the hobby is very healthy and has plenty room to grow.

i assume most people get into the hobby in their 20/30's and stay with it, and year after year i would say more newcomers are added to the fold at a greater rate than those deciding to get out of the hobby (if such a person exists) thus creating more of a demand. until 3 months ago i had never laid eyes on a Keyes Thunder, Stout Thing or Danger Ghost Ship and now i look as these prints as unattainable because i just can't justify spending that kind of cash on one piece of art. however, it keeps me on my toes for things that may come just as it does with countless other newbs on a day to day basis.

i can see the over saturation comment when it comes to movie posters, but the same can be said for the movie industry as well. those who do good work will get noticed and be praised for it. for each film i don't particularly care for i'm sure there are thousands who consider it a masterpiece. it's totally subjective to the view/buyer.

as far as re-sale value for prints, i could care less. everything in my ISO is there because it's an event that meant something to me or it's a print that speaks to me and i want it in my collection and can't imagine selling/flipping it.

but there's always going to flippers. it's the same group of people that will prevent me from getting tickets to NYE. hopefully things will calm down a bit and people who are genuinely interested in adding a piece to their collection will have a chance at a release. it was hard to watch all of the listings for Rise Above Rebel pop up on ebay seconds after it had sold out. i guess it's something i need to get used to.

:pint:
itschris
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:12 pm

Flippers are flippers....you think flipping art print is bad? Look at Disney pins/vinylmations or Nike Jordan shoes....flippers and people camp out 3-6 days in advance of release.
Codeblue wrote:That might be one of the stupidest, most irresponsible things I've ever read.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:31 pm

itschris wrote:Disney pins/vinylmations
My girl could probably pay off her credit cards behind Disney pins...except now she's getting into Vinylmation. Oops.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
thegig
Art Expert

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:37 pm

RiotAct wrote:
thegig wrote: IMO, art by people like Tyler Stout will inevitably crash. They're just posters, and the art is good, but not great.
Prepare to get flamed :shock:
Still waiting....seriously. He's a good artist. He draws faces correctly.

Still trying to figure out why this poster isn't "worth" anything yet:

Guess none of the poster n00bs who are paying $500+ for his posters were old enough for Bonnaroo '04.

:pint: :clap:
mgiatrakos
Art Expert

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:54 pm

I think this is still just the beginning of something that is just going to get bigger. Alamo drafthouse is coming to Colorado, NY, just partnered in LA. The movie industry itself is in trouble because they keep sinking all this money into effects and explosions trying to get people in these seats, when all they need to do is show quality fudge and let people get shitfaced and have delicious food. I always hear how my grandparents had these great nights out going to the movies. It was a big deal and was much more of an expierence than just seeing a movie. I think as this kind of viewing becomes the norm and more people catch onto it there will be way more collectors and prices will rise as new collectors seek their "holy grail". hopefully one day going to the drafthouse is just as common as going to regal. Who wouldnt want to eat, drink, see a flick and get a cool print?
Also just as Tyler is making the transition into comics with his Captain America cover. Dont be suprised if we start seeing comic artists making movie prints. With Mondo now homeboys with Marvel and DC. How cool would it be to have a Jim Lee Watchmen or Todd McFarlane Lord of the Rings movie poster? Or seeing New Ultimate Avengers #1 with full interior art by Tyler Stout.
I dont think print collecting is even at its peak yet. just my 2 cents
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:33 pm

Hey gig,
I had no idea that Bonnaroo poster was a Stout. I bought it because I'm a softie for all things Godzilla. I always liked that image; Godzilla; guitar god.
Thanks for enlightening me.
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
rockbridge
Art Expert

Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:34 pm

cardhawks wrote:I get tired of seeing the same prints on my walls for years, and I'm a huge collector.
Tastes change and it's nice to be able to sell your stuff if you think it will at least hold some value.
I think that any hobbyist can tell you the value of their collection no matter what it is, they are an "expert" with fmv of what they collect.
Sure, the passion of the art is still there, but anyone that collects large amounts of items will soon feel the pressure to streamline that collection.
People tend to pigeonhole flippers as those strictly in it to make money....that's not the case at all.... most flippers start with the passion for the art and get caught up in the exchange whether there is profit or not to obtain those pieces that are more desirable so it becomes a daily game to one-up themselves with their collection. That's why the secondary market is important for print values. If investment potential dies then the hobby stagnates, like it or not.
In the lng run it hurts the artists more than the flippers, because the flippers will move on to the next hot item.
Damn nice post
RiotAct
EB Team

Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:38 pm

thegig wrote:
RiotAct wrote:
thegig wrote: IMO, art by people like Tyler Stout will inevitably crash. They're just posters, and the art is good, but not great.
Prepare to get flamed :shock:
Still waiting....seriously. He's a good artist. He draws faces correctly.
Confession: I don't like how in his older movie posters there's random lines / polygons in peoples' faces (see: Blade Runner). It bugs me.

However, Il Grande Lebowski is probably my top ISO right now.