Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
phubar2
Art Expert

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:39 pm

RomanMorales wrote:
phubar2 wrote:drymount me I would have loved to have been there for Iron Man 2. I have a man crush on Robert Downey Jr. :lol:
Apparently the RDJ hung out with folks at the Highball after as well. Unfortunately, I missed it. :(

God damn. I bet that was a party.
MastaMonk
Art Expert

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:56 pm

daviddelgadoh wrote:
RomanMorales wrote:
thunderinthesky wrote: Pretty sure Mel Gibson WAS A Butt-Numb-A-Thon doing.
Mel Gibson for Passion of the Christ was Butt-Numb-A-Thon. Mel Gibson for Apocalypto WASN'T. It was for Fantastic Fest.
But it wasn't Mondo, which is what I'm saying. This is Mondo, at the New Bev. Not the Alamo, not Harry Knowles (who did in fact set up the Apocalypto screening, even though it wasn't BNAT).
drymount Mel Gibson!

I think that was the best way to use my 1000th post...
mike123230
Art Expert

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:58 pm

MastaMonk wrote:
drymount Mel Gibson!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I knew I liked you.
RomanMorales
Art Expert

Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:07 pm

MastaMonk wrote:
daviddelgadoh wrote:
RomanMorales wrote:
Mel Gibson for Passion of the Christ was Butt-Numb-A-Thon. Mel Gibson for Apocalypto WASN'T. It was for Fantastic Fest.
But it wasn't Mondo, which is what I'm saying. This is Mondo, at the New Bev. Not the Alamo, not Harry Knowles (who did in fact set up the Apocalypto screening, even though it wasn't BNAT).
drymount Mel Gibson!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
"Listen, the next revolution is gonna be a revolution of ideas." - Bill Hicks Image
Gkohler
Art Expert

Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:33 pm

MastaMonk wrote:
daviddelgadoh wrote:
RomanMorales wrote:
drymount Mel Gibson!

Brilliant!
"We're growing mold, on the fruits of our labors"
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:04 pm

RomanMorales wrote: Dude, Mondo is the Alamo. The Alamo is Mondo. It's no different than Apple. iPod is one division, iPhone is another, but they are all Apple. When someone in the iPod division wants to get something done they carry the weight of Apple with them. The same goes for the Alamo.

As for the Apocalypto Mel Gibson screening, I could totally see how that might of been set up by Harry. He was a co-founder of Fantastic Fest if memory serves. On the other hand it was Tim League that orchestrated the first ever public screening of the new Star Trek with Leonard Nimoy delivering the prints. It was the Alamo that brought in The Warriors. It was the Alamo that brought Robert Downey Jr. and Iron Man 2. To think that they could not bring in a name director, actor, writer, SFX wizard is nuts. Especially when so many of them live right in LA... AND they have Tarantino's name to leverage since he owns the theater.

Whether they will, is another question all together.
I mean almost all of that was Harry. Star Trek was a surprise made for Harry, and Iron Man was organized by him. Favreau knows and loves both the Alamo and Knowles specifically, same with Abrams. If you're thinking of a promotional screening, it was Harry Knowles.
I get what you're saying, I'm just saying that it is much harder and much more complicated than you're making it out to be, and I would be floored if they were able to get someone like Spielberg to come to one of these. That makes no sense.
Tarantino makes sense since he owns the joint. SFX artists make sense. Both would be rad. And I can't see them doing 6 MMMs and not having special guests... so far it's been a staple of the MMMs, don't see why they would stop now. I'd definitely agree that something like that is going to happen.
phubar2 wrote:
RomanMorales wrote:
phubar2 wrote:drymount me I would have loved to have been there for Iron Man 2. I have a man crush on Robert Downey Jr. :lol:
Apparently the RDJ hung out with folks at the Highball after as well. Unfortunately, I missed it. :(
God damn. I bet that was a party.
It was cool... but not like you could just walk up to RDJ and hang out with him. He also left really fast. I wouldn't be too upset about missing it.
cutterbutter
Art Expert

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:15 pm

As a frequenter to the New Bev, they usually are never on time. Maybe for the first screening.
ericgarza1201
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:38 pm

MovieManJeff1012 wrote:What are the chances that if the artist is present, you can get your poster signed by them? I have never been to one of these screenings!
If they mention before the movie that the artist is in attendance, you can pretty much guarantee the print is already signed because it would be total mayhem if they weren't and then one person asked... then another... then another... until everyone felt they were entitled to have their print signed as well.
austx117
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:49 pm

Who said or where did yall see that they're selling some Frankenstein posters at Fantastic Fest?
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:12 pm

MastaMonk wrote:drymount Mel Gibson!
Mad Max is still a bad ass character, and no drunken ranting by the retard will ever change my views on that.
ericgarza1201
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:20 pm

austx117 wrote:Who said or where did yall see that they're selling some Frankenstein posters at Fantastic Fest?
Someone that went to the Frankenstein screening at the New Bev on Monday said that Justin mentioned it.
KNEEL13
EB Team

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:33 pm

This thread is like THE BLOB. It keeps growing and growing and growing.............. :shock:

Cragars
Art Expert

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:52 am

Ugh, do want PB for the Frank. :(
fanboy
Art Expert

Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:27 am

toobs wrote:
ericgarza1201 wrote:
austx117 wrote:Who said or where did yall see that they're selling some Frankenstein posters at Fantastic Fest?
Someone that went to the Frankenstein screening at the New Bev on Monday said that Justin mentioned it.
I did, Justin and I had a couple convos during the Frankenstein screening, last we spoke when I was getting my print I asked if he was releasing the rest online, which he replied that he would be matching whatever he sold there that night at FF
so we're looking at 100-125 online? maybe 150? does anybody know if struzan is taking some for himself to sell/give away/auction?
ironjaiden wrote:I'm a whore so I'll draw whatever you want for a warm meal and a dirty hand job. Every artist is different.
thunderinthesky
Art Expert

Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:30 am

fanboy wrote:
toobs wrote:
ericgarza1201 wrote:
I did, Justin and I had a couple convos during the Frankenstein screening, last we spoke when I was getting my print I asked if he was releasing the rest online, which he replied that he would be matching whatever he sold there that night at FF
so we're looking at 100-125 online? maybe 150? does anybody know if struzan is taking some for himself to sell/give away/auction?
studios always get some and I am sure Mondo will put some in the vault and Struzan will get some.
Looking for a place to crash in L.A. for MMM also, need a ride to the events. Will suply food and booze.