SHOW US YOUR ORIGINAL PAINTINGS, etc...."NICE" ART

General art-related discussion.
burndisneyland
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:49 pm

Those Millwards are superb.
RupertPupkin wrote: Be careful of EB, it can be very addictive and financially disastrous!
titanm3
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:37 pm

yeah, man those take some of his inks to another level. great stuff.
rauchadam
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:05 pm

x43x wrote:I picked up this Ashley Wood original from Scott Eder at SDCC. So happy! Just need to finish payment when Eder comes back from a camping trip in late August.

It will be in Popbot #9 and is the box art for the 1/12 Ascended Popbot figure sold at the con.

Wow... Absolutely Incredible... Congratulations!
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:01 pm

Somebody named, Matt just bought himself a very small Audrey kawasaki original :)
kyle
Art Expert

Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:12 pm

talkingdeads wrote:Somebody named, Matt just bought himself a very small Audrey kawasaki original :)
That's awesome !

:clap:
Codeblue wrote:Hork is God, Jesus, the 12 disciples, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny all rolled into one beautiful lanky package.
x43x
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:03 am

Pics!?

I almost bought a graphite sketch of hers that was priced pretty reasonably compared to her larger works, but I waited too long and it was sold :(
urbnpop
New User

Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:14 am

Here ya go, Few of my jams!

chris
urbnpop.com
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/urb ... custom-toy
treweman
Art Expert

Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:32 am

Just arranged to buy another long time favorite. Brian Despain's 2008 painting Exiles. There have been a few recent threads and at least one poll asking if the artists interpretation was important in our perceptions of art, and our willingness to buy a particular piece. In this case, it mattered very much to me: “The Exiles” represents honor and dignity in the face of adversity. An unlikely royal couple stands proud but alone under a tumultuous sky, their crowns, a symbol of their former state, lift from their brows to hover like ghostly halos while dead leaves dance about them on winds of change.
x43x
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:40 am

Fantastic! I get to see a lot of Despain's work in person since Roq la Rue in Seattle represents him. His Rise of the Red Star was the first real art print I ever purchased several years ago. I've talked with him a few times over email about some pieces and he always responds quickly. He is supposed to be doing 100 robot pieces, and he hasn't done #43 yet...I'm hoping he can do it for me.
treweman
Art Expert

Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:50 am

I really like Brian's 2008 paintings. In fact, I'm working out a deal to acquire a second piece from his Sept. 2008 show at Roq La Rue. Hopefully I can share more about this in another day or two.
Stingers
Art Expert

Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:07 am

If I ever come to NY you're getting robbed blind :wink:
treweman
Art Expert

Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:21 pm

Thanks, Stingers. I just completed a deal for another of Brian Despain's robot paintings. This one is titled The Water God and at 16" by 20" is quite a bit larger than Exiles. Both The Water God and Exiles are from a 2008 mini-show at Roq La Rue Gallery in Seattle. Arrested Motion did an interview with Brian shortly after the show closed, and this what he had to say about these pieces:

As with all my works I try to instill a sense of emotion in the work. I find myself drawn to a sort of sustained, quiet melancholy and so it shows up a lot in my work. Not quite depression, not quite sadness, just that slow realization that life is going to throw you a curve or two.

This last set I started after splitting and ultimately divorcing my wife of 11 years. It was a pretty amicable split but still I found that almost unwittingly I started putting a lot of the emotions I'd been feeling that past year into my work. "The Escape" was all about the pain of letting go, "They Talked of Tin" the struggle of relationships and how, even though two people are saying the same thing, they're still in complete disagreement, "Ghosts" was about being haunted by our past while feeling lost in our present, "The Exiles" was all about blind pride in the face of utter loss and last, "The Water God" was about the sheer amount of fascination and obsession we can focus on something once beautiful but which is now so obviously past. And yet, all these paintings have for me also a sense of hope. They sit in that poignant moment of pain and melancholic introspection right before the healing starts. Funny enough, right after this last show I started seeing a wonderful woman and things are going pretty well. Perhaps my next show will be all spring and flowers, but somehow I doubt that.
watergod.jpg
kyle
Art Expert

Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:26 pm

i have the giclee of "The Exiles" and love it. i wish more of his paintings were made into prints, Despain rules.

i'm kinda shocked to see it's still available at papertiger for those interested : http://www.papertigerstore.com/products ... xiles.html
Codeblue wrote:Hork is God, Jesus, the 12 disciples, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny all rolled into one beautiful lanky package.
celloman85
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:34 pm

Commissioned an artist friend of mine. Finally, got it back today! Torn Tail -Osaki-" Measures - 21x36

nimsu8
Art Expert

Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:04 pm

Very cool. Reminds of a cross between Pez and Joe Ledbetter... and I mean that as a compliment
urbnpop wrote:Here ya go, Few of my jams!

chris
urbnpop.com
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/urb ... custom-toy
Anonymous - "One of these days I'm going to type something clever or funny and it will end up as someone signature...one of these days"