Your collection is mainly composed of?

General art-related discussion.
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:19 pm

treweman wrote:Bullshit ... revealing what is in your collection reveals whether you collect giclees, screenprints, or both (sorry downtown ... no offense).
That's exactly why I posted mine too. The answer is in the way each artist does their work.
Obviously I would prefer originals, but screenprinting would be my second choice. Intaglio is pretty interesting now too.
alison03
Art Expert

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:35 pm

I mostly have screenprints and the rest are giclees (90%-10% or so) - though the medium doesn't necessarily 'matter' to me - if I like it I'll get it.
alison03
Art Expert

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:38 pm

hirschy75 wrote:Almost all mine are nature related prints. I don't give a fudge whether or not they're screen prints or not
I was flipping through my portfolio one night and realized I had sooooooo many tree prints. I never knew it was a pattern or something I sought out but I guess I was just drawn to them.
ottomatik71
Art Expert

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:43 pm

treweman wrote: I have more Santora prints than any other artist, and his screen printing is second to none.
Uh- that comment makes me :lol: and then :roll:.
Seriously, second to none? You must not see many screen printed items.
As I said earlier, the medium is part of the piece!
Compare your flat Santora to this:
Herakut-
That's a screened varnish over a giclee.
Or this:
Miss Bugs-
That's 2 screens over spray

I'm sorry, but your 'second to none' is a tad bit unjustified.
jumpinjeza
Art Expert

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:47 pm

alison03 wrote: - though the medium doesn't necessarily 'matter' to me - if I like it I'll get it.
Couldn't agree more
trarex wrote:I find this very disturbing.
The only adult in that video is a black guy hanging out with the whitest 12 year olds on the planet.
ottomatik71
Art Expert

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:51 pm

jumpinjeza wrote:
alison03 wrote: - though the medium doesn't necessarily 'matter' to me - if I like it I'll get it.
Couldn't agree more
It's ok to get what you like... But the medium should matter to you guys. It's part of the piece.
Imagine if Geddes or Keyes could produce a screen printed image as tight as Mr Brainwash! Like him or not, his screen printing team are some of the best! (and they have pulling screens down to a true art form.)
jumpinjeza
Art Expert

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:55 pm

ottomatik71 wrote:
jumpinjeza wrote:
Couldn't agree more
It's ok to get what you like... But the medium should matter to you guys. It's part of the piece.
Imagine if Geddes or Keyes could produce a screen printed image as tight as Mr Brainwash! Like him or not, his screen printing team are some of the best! (and they have pulling screens down to a true art form.)
I agree with what your saying otto but its usually the image that makes me want something and if the printed image is tight then it's an added bonus
trarex wrote:I find this very disturbing.
The only adult in that video is a black guy hanging out with the whitest 12 year olds on the planet.
srdzevon
Art Expert

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:55 pm

ottomatik71 wrote:
jumpinjeza wrote:
Couldn't agree more
Unless it's a split screen

But seriously, i've never seen a Miss Bugs in person. How does all that layered ink and varnish look under glass. I've found that pretty much everything i've seen that's nice and thick and sexy really gets lost once framed.
ImageX5 Hodor Image
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:56 pm

ottomatik71 wrote:Like him or not, his screen printing team are some of the best! (and they have pulling screens down to a true art form.)
BadassArt
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:05 am

Rhys Cooper x 6
Mezza x 1
Tim Doyle x 4
Klausen x 1
Methe x 1
ottomatik71
Art Expert

Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:17 am

daviddelgadoh wrote:
ottomatik71 wrote:Like him or not, his screen printing team are some of the best! (and they have pulling screens down to a true art form.)
Touché
:oops:
lastchild11
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:23 am

screen prints
GR8Dane
Art Expert

Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:31 am

GR8Dane wrote:paper.
and ink
alison03
Art Expert

Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:35 am

jumpinjeza wrote:
ottomatik71 wrote:
jumpinjeza wrote:
Couldn't agree more
I agree with what your saying otto but its usually the image that makes me want something and if the printed image is tight then it's an added bonus
+1

I agree that the medium is a part of the piece and can add to the overall print (and take away from it too), but as said above it's the image itself that draws me in. If it's horrendous to me I'm not going to buy it just because it's a 10 color screen print and visa versa, I wasn't going to pass on buying the Guardian because it's a giclee (just as examples). When I said the medium doesn't necessarily matter, I meant it wouldn't hinder or encourage me to buy something that I want/don't want just because of the process.
treweman
Art Expert

Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:26 am

Hey Otto. "Second to none" is an expression that is commonly used. Taken literally, you are correct. I'll defend the following statement ... in prints that cost less than a meal and glass of wine at a decent restaurant, his screen prints are second to none. The ink is so thick that once rolled the prints are difficult to flatten. Your comment that his prints are "flat" is beneath you. And yes, Otto, I've seen Miss Bugs prints, and have seen Herakut OGs (no prints). On the other hand, I'm not a Herakut fan, so am not searching for those prints, no matter how much ink they have on them. And had the opportunity to purchase Miss Bugs and passed. I'm drawn to some of the images, but don't like them enough to pay the prices they command. IMO, the method used by Santora fits the simpler images that he creates, just as the method used by Miss Bugs fits their more complex and more edgy art. Some artists use watercolors because it fits their art, others use oil paints, and still others use acrylic paints and palette knives. If the thickness of the ink or paint is the only standard of excellence, then every artist should switch to the palette knife. The same argument has been made (repeatedly) that some art is better when screen printed, and other art is better produced by giclee (according to the argument, very detailed and complex images are better suited to giclee). I might also add that Justin does his own printing (at least I think he does :oops: ), so when he signs a print I know who did ALL of the art on the print. In sum, I don't have as much sex as you do, probably because my penis is smaller than yours (and I'm ugly), my art collection is clearly inferior to yours (particularly if measured by gallons of ink or paint), and I am in general your inferior. I admit defeat. (but I do write longer posts than you, and they are very complex if convoluted, so there is that)