Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
mikeyc1023
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:17 pm

failip wrote:Film was rather meh, and I'd agree, that del Toro "recycled" a lot for Labyrinth, but that seems to be the case with some non-US filmmakers when they get some money in their hands
The films were actually meant to be sister pieces, so that would explane the "recycling"

Either way, I loved both Backbone and Pans. Wish I got the red variant, but I'm fine with the regular.
celloman85
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:18 pm

all sold out, my regular is cool again!
thekharmainitiative
Art Expert

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:29 pm

binky79 wrote:Didn't bite, but did a dry run on the red and would have had it. Beautiful poster, but couldn't get away with dead baby in a jar on the wall. The 7-year old would never sleep again.
Del Toro would not approve this message. I think he's all about the stuff kids nightmares are made of - and giving them more nightmares!
WhoLikesRingo wrote:This single post led to a roller coaster of emotion. Congrats kharma, king of the thread.
mike123230
Art Expert

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:30 pm

And the Ultimate Party Down marathon just sold out...while I was trying to buy some on impulse. As much fun as this would be, probably best I save my money at this point. Anyone planning on going?
MastaMonk
Art Expert

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:32 pm

mike123230 wrote:And the Ultimate Party Down marathon just sold out...while I was trying to buy some on impulse. As much fun as this would be, probably best I save my money at this point. Anyone planning on going?
I'd really like to see the print!
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:33 pm

thekharmainitiative wrote:
binky79 wrote:Didn't bite, but did a dry run on the red and would have had it. Beautiful poster, but couldn't get away with dead baby in a jar on the wall. The 7-year old would never sleep again.
Del Toro would not approve this message. I think he's all about the stuff kids nightmares are made of - and giving them more nightmares!
He actually would.
His wife let him build a bachelor-pad he calls Bleak House because she didn't want him putting all of his crazy awesome collection in the house 'cause it would scare their kids. From videos it looks like pretty much the most badass house ever, the collection he has in it is astounding.

Either way, being rich has many advantages - one of which is: your wife doesn't want you to hang "scary" artwork and collectibles in the house? Build a new house to put it in!
burndisneyland
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:34 pm

dylansdad wrote:
celloman85 wrote:wow the regular is still available? Is it bad to think the longer the poster is available the less cool it is? Mondo has instilled this mindset into me :oops:
The posters for Devil's Backbone and Uncle Boonmee are definitely cool. But the movies they represent are not as well known as some others--and for some collectors, it takes a combination of great poster art and beloved subject matter to warrant a purchase and a spot on the wall.
This. I'd never put up a movie poster for a film I didn't enjoy. That's why when Mondo release posters for films I haven't seen I'm always a little more reluctant to pull the trigger.
RupertPupkin wrote: Be careful of EB, it can be very addictive and financially disastrous!
actorinthisplay
Art Expert

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:34 pm

dylansdad wrote:
celloman85 wrote:wow the regular is still available? Is it bad to think the longer the poster is available the less cool it is? Mondo has instilled this mindset into me :oops:
The posters for Devil's Backbone and Uncle Boonmee are definitely cool. But the movies they represent are not as well known as some others--and for some collectors, it takes a combination of great poster art and beloved subject matter to warrant a purchase and a spot on the wall.
yep, precisely why I didn't bite on either of them.
PaintByNumbers
Art Expert

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:35 pm

dylansdad wrote:Justin wants to do a poster for Howard the Duck. I think that's awesome. I saw that one in theaters and still remember what a bizarre film it was.
wasn't there a scene of two ducks getting it on? or some strange scene with the girl?

Horkey prints look cool, probably couldn't get it on the wall though, but congrats to those who scored! might pick up a red variant just in case down the road. I like the idea of pairing them up with the Dracula prints also.
If you would like to help those affected by the tragedy in Boston, please donate here : http://onefundboston.org/

'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum. '
wizejoker
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:35 pm

Ah, I missed out on Party Down! I tried since 11 but they must have been hit hard. If anyone winds up having an extra ticket to sell...
MastaMonk
Art Expert

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:45 pm

wizejoker wrote:Ah, I missed out on Party Down! I tried since 11 but they must have been hit hard. If anyone winds up having an extra ticket to sell...

Yea, let me know if anyone out there finds them self with an extra print from the show. :D
Gkohler
Art Expert

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:54 pm

PaintByNumbers wrote:
dylansdad wrote:Justin wants to do a poster for Howard the Duck. I think that's awesome. I saw that one in theaters and still remember what a bizarre film it was.
wasn't there a scene of two ducks getting it on? or some strange scene with the girl?

Horkey prints look cool, probably couldn't get it on the wall though, but congrats to those who scored! might pick up a red variant just in case down the road. I like the idea of pairing them up with the Dracula prints also.

Yeah man! Lea Thompson bones Howard the duck down!
"We're growing mold, on the fruits of our labors"
Gkohler
Art Expert

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:55 pm

+1 Regular..had to pull off the freeway to get it! Variants sold out so fast!
"We're growing mold, on the fruits of our labors"
SaintNoir
Art Expert

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Wife got me one. +1

It was a good drop for her to get more practice on... she texted me a minute (at least) before the tweet even went out saying mission accomplished. :lol:
Inigo Montoya: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
Westley: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
FlapJack
Art Expert

Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:01 pm

Looks like most who wanted this poster got one! Congrats! I think anyone buying this one to flip is in for a rude awakening ... although don't think there was a big flipper tide on this one given the length of time on the reg.

BTW ... I checked out Cronos on Netflix last night. I think it is a pretty good flick, probably the 3 out of 5 star average rating is pretty accurate, although I probably won't be nabbing that poster. However, when i consider the fact that he wrote and directed (his first major film) this under the age of 30 ... WOW! :shock: ... pretty impressive stuff :notworthy:

At first I thought The Devi's Backbone wouldn't be my cup of tea, but now I've reconsidered and look forward to checking that out on instant as well.