Mother and Father 11 Soto

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
student42
Art Expert

Wed May 25, 2011 1:29 pm

kyle wrote: Jeff would be 100% justified if he chose to release this on paper
Jeff would be justified to do what ever he wants because it is HIS artwork and HIS business. However, with that being said, releasing a second print on paper may be detrimental to his business in the long term even if it does make a few (or many) people happy in the short term. I admit I am new to this world of collecting (though I have been buying art prints for years), I have noticed part of what makes some of these prints sell out so fast is the level of urgency and exclusivity of a print. If a person thinks this is their ONLY chance to get a print they will pull the trigger because they don't want to miss out. If an artist starts doing reprints then that sense of urgency goes away on future prints and they may not sell out so fast and that would create less "Buzz" about the artist. It seems like a lot of people look at art as an investment and will purchase prints as such, which creates product movement, which in turn supports the artist. These type of buyers obviously want their investment to be protected and I do not see anything wrong with that because it creates a whole market other than just people that buy it to display and thus more support for the artist. Personally I only buy art I want to hang on my wall and have yet to sell a piece, but that is just me. The truth is, Jeff is an artist, he makes art. What allows him to continue to make the fantastic art that he does is his business of selling art, which is far less attractive but necessary IMHO. You will never make everyone happy so Jeff should just do what makes the best business sense to him. I hate to say it but in future releases maybe Jeff should raise his prices to take away some of the profit margin for resellers. A sell out in 10 seconds indicates that Jeff could have easily marked these up a little more. Like I said in an earlier post, I would rather see Jeff get the money than resellers. I am done with my rant. Sorry it is so long.
Last edited by student42 on Wed May 25, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageI like pie!
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed May 25, 2011 1:30 pm

That is not my quote.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
kyle
Art Expert

Wed May 25, 2011 1:32 pm

:lol:
Codeblue wrote:Hork is God, Jesus, the 12 disciples, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny all rolled into one beautiful lanky package.
kyle
Art Expert

Wed May 25, 2011 1:35 pm

i'm back from lunch, feeling better...and as usual regretting saying negative things.

i woke up to find the new Horkey sold out and ended up venting here.

poor form. *adjusts monocle*
Codeblue wrote:Hork is God, Jesus, the 12 disciples, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny all rolled into one beautiful lanky package.
student42
Art Expert

Wed May 25, 2011 1:41 pm

Codeblue wrote:That is not my quote.
Sorry about that, I changed it. I am not quite sure how that happened.
ImageI like pie!
kyle
Art Expert

Wed May 25, 2011 1:42 pm

student42 wrote:
Codeblue wrote:That is not my quote.
Sorry about that, I changed it. I am not quite sure how that happened.
it was me. i made it happen....with my mind :twisted:
Vrresto
Art Enthusiast

Wed May 25, 2011 2:04 pm

i'm also disappointed to see that some poor sap gave one of the ebay assholes $600 for one of these.

all they had to do was wait a few more days and the prices would have kept falling.

now those shitheads won't drop their prices. seeing one sell will intoxicate them with greed.

am i slightly bitter ?
Disappointed because you could not afford to do the same?

What would the difference be between selling the print today for 750, or selling it in 10 years for 2000? Is one sale more "honest" than the other? I'll admit to being stung badly by the instant-sellout (I was totally cart-jacked), and I probably made an audible harumph-type noise when I saw the prints start popping up on eBay, but that all had to do with my regret over being left-out more than anger with the Way Of The Flipper. The world is a huge place, the amount of people in it even huger, and there's really no way to control these types of sales anymore without making everything extremely difficult (and typically not much less infuriating).
kyle
Art Expert

Wed May 25, 2011 2:16 pm

Vrresto wrote:
i'm also disappointed to see that some poor sap gave one of the ebay assholes $600 for one of these.

all they had to do was wait a few more days and the prices would have kept falling.

now those shitheads won't drop their prices. seeing one sell will intoxicate them with greed.

am i slightly bitter ?
Disappointed because you could not afford to do the same?

No. Disappointed because "all they had to do was wait a few more days and the prices would have kept falling".
middayshadows
Art Expert

Wed May 25, 2011 2:17 pm

kyle wrote: i also like how people that already have it are telling jeff not to put out a paper version.
tronics.
Not necessarily true. I wasn't lucky enough to get it, and I voted in the 'no paper edition' camp, even though I would be happy to buy one if one was made. It's a poor assumption to assert that everyone that voices an opinion does so self-servingly.
Codeblue wrote:A reprint is a reprint. Disclose all the editions up front, or print open editions. And where are you getting this number that half are being resold. In reality it's 3 out of 20. That's 15%. Up to 25% is pretty standard with ANY moderately popular limited edition these days.
Exactly. I'm not a zealot about this , but lets make sure the term limited edition keeps it's meaning, shall we?
Vrresto
Art Enthusiast

Wed May 25, 2011 2:28 pm

No. Disappointed because "all they had to do was wait a few more days and the prices would have kept falling".
How far do you honestly think that the eBay prices are going to fall on this print? 20 copies made, at least half going to dedicated-fans, leaving 10 or less of these absolutely butt-kicking pieces of wooden beauty on the 2nd market. My guess is that the cheapest that one of these will be eBay'd for is 500, and within another 6 months, that number will be long forgotten, and the price will only go up when the occasional one is tossed back up for sale in the future.
kyle
Art Expert

Wed May 25, 2011 2:28 pm

middayshadows wrote:It's a poor assumption to assert that everyone that voices an opinion does so self-servingly.
kyle wrote:poor form. *adjusts monocle*
kyle
Art Expert

Wed May 25, 2011 2:33 pm

Vrresto wrote:
How far do you honestly think that the eBay prices are going to fall on this print? 20 copies made, at least half going to dedicated-fans, leaving 10 or less of these absolutely butt-kicking pieces of wooden beauty on the 2nd market. My guess is that the cheapest that one of these will be eBay'd for is 500, and within another 6 months, that number will be long forgotten, and the price will only go up when the occasional one is tossed back up for sale in the future.
i think the three sellers on ebay would have kept cutting their price until one sold. simple as that.

i also agree with you.
alngtheway
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 25, 2011 2:52 pm

Codeblue wrote:So it's only ok when you don't own a copy of the original?
kyle wrote:
talkingdeads wrote:
kyle wrote:i traded away a valued print i really liked for a copy of Verdena because i thought it would be my only chance to own that artwork. i never thought malleus would one day pull an art print version out of their ass. i would have waited and held onto that other print that i really liked.

Sorry dude, I thought i hooked you up cheap with something you really wanted.

*SLAMS ON THE BRAKES*

hold up.

you DID hook me up. you totally did. and i am still glad you did. our trade was great and i still appreciate it.

what i said still stands. i thought it would be my only chance at it, so i was was more than happy to trade for it. but now that i know i could have waited and just picked up the "art print" version directly from the artist and held onto my other print, i'm a little upset. not with you at all, but with malleus for reprinting. and the truth is i'm not really that upset at all, i just think this is an interesting discussion. i am still very happy about having the original verdena as i consider it one of the all time classics.
Do you have some crazy cross-referenced database of what everyone has posted on any given topic? or an insane memory to know to pick out a two-year-old post here and five-year-old post there?
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed May 25, 2011 2:56 pm

More so the latter.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
alngtheway
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 25, 2011 2:58 pm

impressive.