Jeremy Geddes thread

General art-related discussion.
Bluecow
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 10, 2011 2:35 pm

Well yeah, that's another thread for a specific piece just like every piece on EB gets. Seems like it would be appropriate to have a general thread about his stuff just so it's easier to find in general (like Horkey has a thread, McCarthy, KAWS, etc., etc.), but either way it doesn't really matter to me.
Bluecow
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 10, 2011 2:36 pm

electrachrome wrote:
Bluecow wrote:Is there seriously not a general Geddes thread? I searched but only found threads about specific pieces.
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 19&t=37298

the Artis Nook was originally intended to be catch all for artist information. it never matured beyond a compilation of releases as they are added to EB.
Ah I see. I just figured the Art Discussion section would have a thread for him since many other artists do.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Tue May 10, 2011 2:40 pm

Bluecow wrote:Ah I see. I just figured the Art Discussion section would have a thread for him since many other artists do.
although we do some pruning and replanting here and there, the site evolves organically. this may be the seed of dedicated Geddes discussion thread if the community adopts it and keeps it nourished.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Tue May 10, 2011 2:41 pm

he's sooo hott right now.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
Bluecow
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 10, 2011 2:52 pm

Well to get it going, for those of you who have collected his work which piece brought you in? I saw his work sometime last year and I found it intriguing right off the bat, but it's kind of "heavy" if that makes sense. That is why I find it intriguing, but at the same time I had trouble imagining having it hang in my house. So along came Adrift last month and I finally just said I have to see his work in person. To say the least it's stunning the quality he puts into these. So I think I'll have a hard time resisting future print releases even if they don't end up making the walls (I mean I'll keep them to look at of course). Wish I would have got into him before Heat Death had sold out. Oh well, if the new piece above is any indication, he's going to be killing it (in a good way) for some time to come.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Tue May 10, 2011 2:56 pm

Bluecow wrote:Well to get it going, for those of you who have collected his work which piece brought you in? I saw his work sometime last year and I found it intriguing right off the bat, but it's kind of "heavy" if that makes sense. That is why I find it intriguing, but at the same time I had trouble imagining having it hang in my house. So along came Adrift last month and I finally just said I have to see his work in person. To say the least it's stunning the quality he puts into these. So I think I'll have a hard time resisting future print releases even if they don't end up making the walls (I mean I'll keep them to look at of course). Wish I would have got into him before Heat Death had sold out. Oh well, if the new piece above is any indication, he's going to be killing it (in a good way) for some time to come.
Heat Death sold me on him, however, at the time there were several of his prints available for purchase. But, I didn't have or care to spend more than $100 on a poster/print (things sure have changed since), and I'm regretting not purchasing them. But, I've got Redemption and Red Cosmo framed in the bedroom right now. Street, White Cosmo, and Adrift are just awaiting frame money. And, Cafe will be purchased within the week, possibly within the next hour or so.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Tue May 10, 2011 3:07 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:Heat Death sold me on him....But, I didn't have or care to spend more than $100 on a poster/print...and I'm regretting not purchasing them.
Same.
Bluecow
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 10, 2011 3:13 pm

When did Heat Death sell out? I want to say when I first came across his stuff there were still several pieces available and that might have been one of them, but I can't remember for sure.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Tue May 10, 2011 3:15 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:Cafe will be purchased within the week, possibly within the next hour or so.
I prefer it as a horizontal image.

Bluecow
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 10, 2011 3:18 pm

electrachrome wrote:
sidewaysscott wrote:Cafe will be purchased within the week, possibly within the next hour or so.
I've never looked at it that way. It sure does put more focus on the lamp and the tables. Interesting to see how much difference the orientation makes to the impact of the image for me.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Tue May 10, 2011 3:20 pm

electrachrome wrote:

yes me too! i just posted that in the Cafe discussion thread :lol:
Risible
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 10, 2011 3:24 pm

I think it looks much more interesting and creepy vertically. It lends a downward motion to the figure above the stairs, almost as if it''s descending down the stairs. It's much more startling in the vertical orientation.
Last edited by Risible on Tue May 10, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wizdom
Art Expert

Tue May 10, 2011 3:25 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:
electrachrome wrote:
yes me too! i just posted that in the Cafe discussion thread :lol:
me 3! I posted that in "cant believe its still available' thread. Y'all just copied :lol:
churdiales
Art Expert

Tue May 10, 2011 3:30 pm

If you look at the discussion on omgposters when The Cafe came out (1/2010)... cardhawks mentioned he liked it horizontally as well. soph said to give her a heads up, since they could sign it and number it that way if that is your preferred view of it.

here:
http://omgposters.com/2010/01/26/the-ca ... sale-info/

the print that did it for me was 'St. Jeremiah' (look at my avatar). I was hooked since then and it was around $100, much less than what the cosmos and the rest of his stuff sells for. I did see Heat Death when it was available and I do regret not getting it.

oh, well...
Last edited by churdiales on Tue May 10, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krisjay wrote:I find this post odd.
camaroz06
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 10, 2011 3:52 pm

churdiales wrote:If you look at the discssion on omgposters when The Cafe came out (1/2010)... cardhawks mentioned he liked it horizontally as well. soph said to give her a heads up, since they could sign it and number it that way if that is your preferred view of it.

here:
http://omgposters.com/2010/01/26/the-ca ... sale-info/

the print that did it for me was 'St. Jeremiah' (look at my avatar). I was hooked since then and it was around $100, much less than what the cosmos and the rest of his stuff sells for. I did see Heat Death when it was available and I do regret not getting it.

oh, well...
Its funny that you guys mention turning the print. I had wanted to get a The Street and look at putting it up on the wall vertically.