Importing to the UK - VAT & Delivery info

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
mushetphoto
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:52 pm

suchanoo wrote:
soam24 wrote:Lately when sending prints to the UK the buyer has been getting hammered on fees upon pickup.

Without scrolling through the thread, what should we put on the invoice to help out people in the UK w fees?
Make sure that in the description section of the customs form you write:

'Hand made limited edition art 9702 00 00'

And it may help to write 'Tariff 9702 00 00' in big sharpie letters across the tube.
Did that, made no difference.
Celsius
Flipper

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:57 pm

mushetphoto wrote:
suchanoo wrote:
soam24 wrote:Lately when sending prints to the UK the buyer has been getting hammered on fees upon pickup.

Without scrolling through the thread, what should we put on the invoice to help out people in the UK w fees?
Make sure that in the description section of the customs form you write:

'Hand made limited edition art 9702 00 00'

And it may help to write 'Tariff 9702 00 00' in big sharpie letters across the tube.
Did that, made no difference.
Probably just depends on the customs agent -- if he actually knows about 5% tax.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
suchanoo
Art Expert

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:59 pm

mushetphoto wrote:Did that, made no difference.
Unfortunately, that is the case more often than not.

That being said, if you are lucky enough to receive the correct 5% tax charge, it will only happen if your seller has included those details on the form.
UK Member? Reclaim some VAT... http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=85994
shut your mouth and open your mind
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:59 pm

Mushetphoto.....

No , sometimes (often) it doesnt , but it SHOULD , and it bolsters our argument that they are not following thier own rules , if your going to join us and send out the draft letter that Dave has written you should take photos showing the tube that has that written on it.

No wonder they are encouraging us to break the "law" and asking sellers to undervalue items , if the taxmen cant follow THEIR laws them why should the populous?
guerilladubber
Art Expert

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:10 pm

Glad to have stumbled upon this!
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
pking1601
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:33 am

It has got to the point that it has curbed my buying, which in a way is a good thing. The prints I have had customs charges on this year have been major buys/ISOs which i knew would attract the charges, albeit that is no excuse for the UK customs blatant disregard for the information that is written on the customs forms and tube.

The normal 1st class international tubes are now attracting the attention of the Post Office for anything marked over $30 with the dreaded grey cards being used far more often so it has got to the point that if I would like to buy a print from the US, I ask the seller if they are prepared to mark a low value on the customs sticker. If I'm correct, i believe that method of shipping has no insurance/compensation option anyway so I'm not sure why they wouldn't do it as I always add that I'm totally aware of the risks if the tube goes missing plus if they do agree to mark low, I always add a few $s more to cover PayPal fees as a thank you. I do understand fully if they won't do it but its a shame but I won't buy. I did that just yesterday. It would be interesting to find out what the general consensus is about being asked to mark the low value from our US friends if any venture into this thread.

I must stress that I have no problem paying the correct 5% VAT rate. The Parcelforce/Post Office £8 or £13.50 really, really, really pisses me off but the fact that you are charged the incorrect rate means that you have to run the gauntlet of the refund route which can take months or end up with the claim being rejected. Perhaps HMRC do it because only 1 in 5 people only make a claim for the correct rate to be applied.
suchanoo
Art Expert

Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:37 am

I'll post this letter next week, so it doesn't get mislaid over the Easter weekend. For those who want to join in a mass mail pettition the HMRC, we'll post them Tuesday morning.

Paul's trouble with his lost claim should also be addressed. HMRC lost his original paperwork, and then informed him that they will only process his claim with the original paperwork. Talk about Catch 22. I'll add a line covering this, then repost a draft before Tuesday.
UK Member? Reclaim some VAT... http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=85994
sfxdan
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:43 am

great info and advice guys! im sure most UKers have been stung over the past with extra charges, so this will really help!!
Benjames500
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:18 pm

Hmmm just been stung myself with a £50 fee for a $200 Print from Fedex after the print was delivered. Never had that before.

Going to give them a call tomorrow and question them about the charges. Not holding out much hope though.
suchanoo
Art Expert

Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:30 pm

Benjames500 wrote:Hmmm just been stung myself with a £50 fee for a $200 Print from Fedex after the print was delivered. Never had that before.

Going to give them a call tomorrow and question them about the charges. Not holding out much hope though.
The tax is applied to the item's value, postage, packing & insurance charge and also the UK courier will add their own handling fee, so if VAT was charged at 20% then that figure could be about right.

If your print is eligible for 5% VAT, then you'll need to claim it back through the HMRC. You should get your refund by Christmas, if things go well.
sfxdan
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:33 pm

Has anyone had any additional charges added by Royal Mail to their overseas parcels? A couple of months ago I wasn't in and missed delivery of a parcel from the states. So the post man left a card for me to pick up the parcel at the local post office. When I got there I was told that an £8 handling fee was added, because the parcel was from overseas. And it obviously cost the postman £8 to take the parcel back to the sorting office (a 10 min walk) i had to pay it, as they would not release the parcel. I spend 20 mins arguing but they wouldn't budge. Anyone else had a similar experience? Is that usual?
rocker
Art Expert

Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:36 pm

The handling fee is some bullshit from them, about how they paid the customs fee on your behalf, so you owe them for what they already paid.

Without giving you the option to pay the fee personally, and avoid a handling fee.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/posterbuddies/
Facebook group for chatting about prints
rocker
Art Expert

Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:42 pm

https://www.facebook.com/groups/posterbuddies/
Facebook group for chatting about prints
suchanoo
Art Expert

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:49 pm

Hmmm...The UK border Agency is to be scrapped due to inefficiency. That sounds about right. Maybe things will improve once the departments are returned to the Home Office...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21941395
maozilla
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:27 am

rocker wrote:Image
Brilliant book that.