Importing to the UK - VAT & Delivery info

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
FestaUK
Art Expert

Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:58 pm

deestar wrote:I'm in buddy.

Me too. Will help in anyway I can.
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:01 pm

Hi Dave , im with you 100% on this and ive thought exactly the same ....however , and this is no way in defending what they are doing.

I have a customer who comes in the pub on a regular basis that works in the clearing dept for American Airways and he explained to me that practically everything that comes into the country has a varying VAT % and that the "book" thats lists all the variant prices is as thick as a pint glass is high ....they KNOW that the majority of the time the correct VAT rate isnt being applied.

And thats what we will be fighting against.
suchanoo
Art Expert

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:04 pm

Fattyramone wrote:Hi Dave , im with you 100% on this and ive thought exactly the same ....however , and this is no way in defending what they are doing.

I have a customer who comes in the pub on a regular basis that works in the clearing dept for American Airways and he explained to me that practically everything that comes into the country has a varying VAT % and that the "book" thats lists all the variant prices is as thick as a pint glass is high ....they KNOW that the majority of the time the correct VAT rate isnt being applied.

And thats what we will be fighting against.
Good point mate. But let's send them a deluge of mail anyway. At the very least, it will be cathartic.
UK Member? Reclaim some VAT... http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=85994
shut your mouth and open your mind
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:04 pm

Or better still send 2 copies of the letter , one to the powers that be and one to our MPs ....3 actually ....send them to some newspapers?....get the press involved in this rip off.
suchanoo
Art Expert

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:08 pm

Fattyramone wrote:Or better still send 2 copies of the letter , one to the powers that be and one to our MPs ....3 actually ....send them to some newspapers?....get the press involved in this rip off.
Yes.

Let's do it. I'll draft a letter, and post it here. We can edit it on this thread, agree on a date, and send it off. It has to get someone's attention. And if nothing changes, we'll do the same every month or so, until things are corrected.

They may have a lot of different tax codes to juggle, but maybe ours will be one of the ones they all know by heart, eventually.
UK Member? Reclaim some VAT... http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=85994
deestar
Art Expert

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:16 pm

Might be worth mentioning it in the UK thread too, not sure if many people know this thread is around.

The way i see it, we have to give it a go. Shipping has increased, this hobby is expensive enough as it is, the least we can do is get active and make them pay attention a little (or not as the case may be).
mushetphoto
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:48 pm

In!
pking1601
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:26 pm

suchanoo wrote:
suchanoo wrote:
mushetphoto wrote:Plus I received a tube today with the tariff code on the tube and the declaration, but still got stung for 20% - poor show.
Having the codes on the tube helps on occasion, but apparently the application of the correct tax code is arbitrary.
Just had a $1000+ tube arrive, custom labelled and tube marked with the tariff.....stung for 20%. Hit and miss.

We need to take some action on this. The tariff code is internationally recognised, it is not right that the UK border control can apply or ignore it at will. Especially when it takes them 2 - 3 months to refund any 'mistakes'. What is more, it takes quite some investigation to know that this tax sub-clause and code even exists. How many people in the UK are stiffed on import VAT and don't even realise, accepting it as correct and legal? It's a proper money earner for the government. Even what they pay back sits in their coffers earning it's keep, until they hand it back.

We should draft a letter to Border control, basically telling them to READ THE BLOODY CUSTOMS FORM and everyone who follows this thread (UK or international), who can be bothered to participate, print it, sign it and send it off to the same
address at the same time.

If you fancy giving it a go, post here, and if there's enough interest we'll come up with something. I know some people have given it a go individually, but en-masse it may amplify the message. All we're asking them to do is read the customs form which the sender has taken the time to fill out, and then apply the law correctly.

Got to be worth a punt, for the cost of a stamp.
Dave

I with you buddy. I currently have 7 claims going thru at the moment since the turn of the year and all, with your sound advice, were labelled with the tariff code and wording etc and all blatantly ignored.

I haven't had a refund on one of those yet and I sent a seperate letter after the last one asking why the info on the customs forms was being ignored. No reply to that either.

You can't phone them, they are faceless and unaccountable. Without boring the tits off you all if you have heard this before but these are the people who lost all the original paperwork for one claim last year, wrote me a letter informing me of this and apologising then told me they couldn't proceed with the claim without the original paperwork!!! I pointed out the obvious flaw in their argument to them but could provide photocopies of everything. Months went by until they replied that even though they admit they lost it all, the case was closed as I couldn't provide the original paperwork. I ranted in a letter and sent it to the appeals department who again agreed that if I couldn't provide the original paperwork, the claim couldn't proceed!!! You couldn't write it, could you and if it wasn't for being the truth, you would laugh out loud.

Wankers!!!!
suchanoo
Art Expert

Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:14 am

OK, here's the first draft, any comments welcomed and appreciated. Please hold fire on sending this letter just yet, let's get ourselves organised and in agreement first...

To whom it may concern

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am a UK based private collector of hand made, limited edition works of art, and regularly have such works imported from outside of the EU.

The effective VAT rate for such imported goods is 5%. I refer you to HMRC Notice 702 (August 2012), section 11 ‘Definition of articles which are eligible for importation at a reduced valuation giving an effective VAT rate of 5 per cent’ and sub section 11.1 ‘Works of art’.

When purchasing any item eligible for this reduced effective VAT rate, I ensure that the seller declares on the customs form that it is a hand made, limited edition work of art, referencing the internationally recognised tariff code 9702 00 00, as per the above HMRC notice.

On occasion, this tariff is taken into account during customs charging, however, more often than not a standard 20% VAT rate is applied. This can be reclaimed, however the process of receiving a refund can take months.

Including a clear description of the goods along with the tariff code on the customs form, as well as writing the tariff code in large, bold letters across the parcel, has not proved effective in consistently ensuring the correct VAT rate is applied at the UK border.

As a UK tax payer, I expect all governmental departments to be operated as efficiently as possible. Raising a valid, retrospective claim for incorrectly processed and charged VAT costs myself and the HMRC valuable time and money.

I kindly request of the UK Border Control that customs form declarations for imported goods are taken fully into account and that the information is used in conjunction with the HMRC’s own tariff codes to ensure the correct VAT rate is charged at the point of entry into the UK.

I look forward to your earliest response, addressing the issue raised herein.

Yours faithfully,
soam24
Art Freak

Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:18 am

Lately when sending prints to the UK the buyer has been getting hammered on fees upon pickup.

Without scrolling through the thread, what should we put on the invoice to help out people in the UK w fees?
suchanoo
Art Expert

Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:36 am

soam24 wrote:Lately when sending prints to the UK the buyer has been getting hammered on fees upon pickup.

Without scrolling through the thread, what should we put on the invoice to help out people in the UK w fees?
Make sure that in the description section of the customs form you write:

'Hand made limited edition art 9702 00 00'

And it may help to write 'Tariff 9702 00 00' in big sharpie letters across the tube.
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:14 am

Thanks for showing an intrest Soamie!

soamie ...the crux of the matter , and one they always throw back in our faces is the use of the word "poster" , a "poster" is subjected to the normal 20% VAT rate where as a "print" is considered "art" and subjected to only 5% VAT.

However as Dave points out , they just ignore their own rules so its all achedemic anyway! ....but at least they are then denied that defence.

Another problem , and one I struggle to convince them of is that when something is sent UPS , (I buy from Obey a lot) the paperwork that arrives is printed by UPS themselves in the form of a pink slip that is taped to the tube.

They keep on putting in the description that its a "poster" and i know Obey are telling them that its a print ....when i tell them this , the telephonist keeps to the party line that they only write what the customer (Obey) tell them to write.....NO THEY DONT!!!!!!!!!!!

Proof of this , was that , unnoticed by me for months my Obey tubes were addressed to the wrong village , I live in a village called FENSTANTON and about 50 miles away there is a village called FENDITTON ...

Now i cant believe someone in America would have ever heard of either of those villages and sent them to the wrong address (they always arrived to me) , I certainly wouldnt have inputted the wrong village address....so it must have been them.
soam24
Art Freak

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:55 am

Yea this guy who bought my John Doe said he had to pay a bunch in vat n was gonna send it back so I ended up splitting it with em to save a headache.
pking1601
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:17 am

suchanoo wrote:OK, here's the first draft, any comments welcomed and appreciated. Please hold fire on sending this letter just yet, let's get ourselves organised and in agreement first...

To whom it may concern

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am a UK based private collector of hand made, limited edition works of art, and regularly have such works imported from outside of the EU.

The effective VAT rate for such imported goods is 5%. I refer you to HMRC Notice 702 (August 2012), section 11 ‘Definition of articles which are eligible for importation at a reduced valuation giving an effective VAT rate of 5 per cent’ and sub section 11.1 ‘Works of art’.

When purchasing any item eligible for this reduced effective VAT rate, I ensure that the seller declares on the customs form that it is a hand made, limited edition work of art, referencing the internationally recognised tariff code 9702 00 00, as per the above HMRC notice.

On occasion, this tariff is taken into account during customs charging, however, more often than not a standard 20% VAT rate is applied. This can be reclaimed, however the process of receiving a refund can take months.

Including a clear description of the goods along with the tariff code on the customs form, as well as writing the tariff code in large, bold letters across the parcel, has not proved effective in consistently ensuring the correct VAT rate is applied at the UK border.

As a UK tax payer, I expect all governmental departments to be operated as efficiently as possible. Raising a valid, retrospective claim for incorrectly processed and charged VAT costs myself and the HMRC valuable time and money.

I kindly request of the UK Border Control that customs form declarations for imported goods are taken fully into account and that the information is used in conjunction with the HMRC’s own tariff codes to ensure the correct VAT rate is charged at the point of entry into the UK.

I look forward to your earliest response, addressing the issue raised herein.

Yours faithfully,
I like it Dave and it is far more articulate than my letter that I sent a couple of months ago.
jampar5000
Art Expert

Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:34 pm

I'm in for this...
LeeKaye wrote:I liked it, but I am trying to resist the lure of one more 'wafer thin print'