Importing to the UK - VAT & Delivery info

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
Benjames500
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:56 am

Just letting people know that I recently had some joy using the code:

"UK CUSTOMS TARIFF 9702 00 00 (REF. HMRC NOTICE 702 - APRIL 2010)
HAND SCREEN PRINTED LIMITED EDITION ART @ 5% VAT"

Got the seller to write it on in massive black capitals in the middle of the tube and it worked! Well worth doing!
jampar5000
Art Expert

Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:16 am

Another update from me on a different tube - I also had success with the code used in the above post. - I know send a label to anyone shipping anything to me with this bolded and in massive black font.
LeeKaye wrote:I liked it, but I am trying to resist the lure of one more 'wafer thin print'
suchanoo
Art Expert

Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:38 am

I got stung on my last tube. The seller wrote the correct line on the customs form, and wrote the tariff code in big letters accross the tube, but customs still whacked 20% on it.

I think a standadised sticker as mentioned above, with all the info on it (including the correct tax %) is the way forward. I will try in on my next tube.

On a brighter note, there are still sellers across the pond who will value down the tube. I bought a $300 print from Emek, shipped 1st class. It got here quicker than any priority tube ever does (1 week). No tax, no damage, no ridiculous shipping costs ($18).
UK Member? Reclaim some VAT... http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=85994
shut your mouth and open your mind
jampar5000
Art Expert

Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:49 am

suchanoo wrote:I got stung on my last tube. The seller wrote the correct line on the customs form, and wrote the tariff code in big letters accross the tube, but customs still whacked 20% on it.

I think a standadised sticker as mentioned above, with all the info on it (including the correct tax %) is the way forward. I will try in on my next tube.

On a brighter note, there are still sellers across the pond who will value down the tube. I bought a $300 print from Emek, shipped 1st class. It got here quicker than any priority tube ever does (1 week). No tax, no damage, no ridiculous shipping costs ($18).
I find it infuriating that 1st class marked down shipping is so goddamn quick when the $40 - $60 option takes forever and tracking is non existent. So irritating.
LeeKaye wrote:I liked it, but I am trying to resist the lure of one more 'wafer thin print'
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:52 am

Benjames500 wrote:Just letting people know that I recently had some joy using the code:

Got the seller to write it on in massive black capitals in the middle of the tube and it worked! Well worth doing!
God damn Customs. Just been tracking my tube and found it has been held by ParcelFarce.
I got the seller to do everything above meticulously,and had confirmation from my sender that he has written the above code on both the form and the tube in bold letters.
And yet when i ring ParcelForce and enquire as to the tax status,they tell me i have been charged at the full twenty drymounting percent.
I am so SO angry right now.
Its not a lot of money,but its the principle. Or more the lack of principles that HMRC must have. All i can think is that they musr be trying for %20 regardless,in the hope that i either don't know or have the time for the drawn-out refund process.
Boy are they wrong. I know it won't change things really,but i am gonna write and tear them such a large new asshole,then jam my yazoo tube up it....and file a claim,obviously. Guess thats the important part.

What a bunch of incompetent bastards.
Image VROOOOM!!! TETSUOOOO!!! Image
アキラ
sfxdan
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:43 am

Is there a time limit for applying for a VAT refund? Does it have to be done within 2 weeks or so?
suchanoo
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:40 am

sfxdan wrote:Is there a time limit for applying for a VAT refund? Does it have to be done within 2 weeks or so?
I think it's within 30 days of charging
UK Member? Reclaim some VAT... http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=85994
shut your mouth and open your mind
jojobadass
Art Freak

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:50 am

Yeah, I pretty much only use USPS first class mail when shipping to the uk due to all the issues found in this thread.

Good luck fellas
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
phips
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:12 pm

so if im shipping to cardiff from the US there's nothing special that i need to do right?
i have to fill out a customs form and on that state what the contents are (fine are print)..shouldnt that
help with the VAT?
HippyChick
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:44 pm

phips wrote:so if im shipping to cardiff from the US there's nothing special that i need to do right?
i have to fill out a customs form and on that state what the contents are (fine are print)..shouldnt that
help with the VAT?
Just follow the general advice on the thread & print the following on the tube as well as on the customs form (if the print is eligible - check through the thread but I think only if print is done by hand so technically doesn't apply to anything done on a mechanical press, eg. anything done by D&L, Longtooth, Monolith Press, etc.) :

Good luck!
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:02 pm

Just want to say that following my rant at the top of the page,it turns out the parcelfarce lady on the phone misinformed me. I only paid 5 percent tax all thanks to your advice on this thread,as seen above this post :clap:

It was for a giclee too, which was a lovely surprise. Good old HMRC. :wink:

Thank you for this wonderful wonderful thread. You guys saved me a big chunk of cash. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Image VROOOOM!!! TETSUOOOO!!! Image
アキラ
phips
Art Expert

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:46 pm

HippyChick wrote:
phips wrote:so if im shipping to cardiff from the US there's nothing special that i need to do right?
help with the VAT?
Just follow the general advice on the thread & print the following on the tube as well as on the customs form (if the print is eligible - check through the thread but I think only if print is done by hand so technically doesn't apply to anything done on a mechanical press, eg. anything done by D&L, Longtooth, Monolith Press, etc.) :

Good luck!
yeah i wrote that on the tube and will be filling out the customs form.
there's just alot of information in this thread, alot of which looks like gibberish to me.
HippyChick
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:44 am

Obey Peace & Justice Woman has just arrived. $45 plus $45.25 postage so not (very) cheap. Shipped by Obey using USPS. Tube clearly marked as hand pulled print - 5% Vat - and.... NO customs charges at all!! I was fully prepared to start producing this thread for the delivery guy and getting into an argument about fees but he just dropped it off, took my signature and left. Very happy bunny! :D :lol:
philipanderson
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:59 am

HippyChick wrote:Obey Peace & Justice Woman has just arrived. $45 plus $45.25 postage so not (very) cheap. Shipped by Obey using USPS. Tube clearly marked as hand pulled print - 5% Vat - and.... NO customs charges at all!! I was fully prepared to start producing this thread for the delivery guy and getting into an argument about fees but he just dropped it off, took my signature and left. Very happy bunny! :D :lol:
Don't celebrate just yet.

Same happened to me.

A week later, an invoice came through for the outstanding VAT/import duties.
bert
Art Expert

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:04 am

I've had invoices arrive later too, but only with Fedex and DHL (I think)...with Parcelforce and Royal Mail, I've only ever received them upfront. Maybe I've been lucky (!). If it was USPS and Parcelforce or RM, hopefully you're ok? Brace yourself as Phil suggest just in case!

Another tip to add - with Fedex, when I received my first charge with them, I rang them up to moan (as I saw someone else suggest this on the Banksy forums), they agreed to drop the £10 handling fee. They also sent me forms so you can set up a card on file with them so they can insta-charge you next time so you don't need to pay the £10 fee again...if only RM/Parcelforce were that organised.