Importing to the UK - VAT & Delivery info

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
jjbehren
Flipper

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:34 am

Reading that document, I really think they are supposed to be free. That thing about the giclees, I don't know exactly where they fall in Canada's definitions, but I'd argue they should be free, too.
tranito
Art Expert

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:39 am

That document looks like the real fudge too. I mean it's cbsa-asfc stuff.. can't be more official.
It'll be interesting next time I get hit with import fees.. It's rare though. Thanks for doing all the dirty work.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
veltri
Art Expert

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:48 am

Thanks jjbehren, I'll try this argument.
I just got hit with over $50 of fees. I'm going to try to get a refund.
Hopefully they don't argue that the screenprinting process is mechanical in any way.
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
suchanoo
Art Expert

Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:58 am

Good luck!

It seems everyone should be looking into their countries' import policies. The tariff code is universal, so search that number with your respective border control office.

The downer is that you only have 30 days from payment of the tax to make a claim back (in the UK).

I would have thought that if the UK, Canada and Portugal have a similar policy, this will probably be the case in most EU states. What about Oz? Must be something similar there.
UK Member? Reclaim some VAT... http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=85994
shut your mouth and open your mind
roo
Art Expert

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:20 am

tranito wrote:That document looks like the real fudge too. I mean it's cbsa-asfc stuff.. can't be more official.
It'll be interesting next time I get hit with import fees.. It's rare though. Thanks for doing all the dirty work.
I thought Canada was like the US and had no import duty payable on gifts importwd of any value? :ziggi:
jampar5000
Art Expert

Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:16 am

Here is a nice little table with a load of countries in it under the code of screenprints:

http://www.dutycalculator.com/hs-code-d ... 0000/3155/
LeeKaye wrote:I liked it, but I am trying to resist the lure of one more 'wafer thin print'
veltri
Art Expert

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:40 am

jjbehren wrote:Anyone know if Canada has similar art rules regarding VAT/Duty? If so, any info available?

Edit: I found this:

9702.00.00 00 Original engravings, prints and lithographs. - Free

Followed by a bunch of stuff I don't think I understand.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commer ... 11-eng.pdf
Ah! There's no duty, but there are taxes, and there lies the rub.

So no change for Canadians. :(
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:35 am

Had an interesting development today in reguards import VAT.

Took delivery from UPS and as per normal they tried to hit me for 20% when it should only be for 5%

Lets leave the fact that they tried to charge me £16.02 for a $40 poster with $40 postage (Obey) when only 4 days ago on Monday they hit me with a lesser sum of £13.?? for a more expensive $55 poster with $50 postage (Obey again) ???

Anyway by now i have on going dialogue with the people at the end of the UPS phone line for VAT issues (they are quite good really) and last Monday i asked if i could ring them before handing over any monies when this happens again as it surely would .

Fast forward 4 days later to today and when the delivery guy tried to hit me for £16.02 , i rang them and to my utter surprise they asked the driver to write down a code number on the pink reciept and I paid ....NOTHING, not a bean , not the expected 5% or even their £3.50 handling fee....NOTHING.

Ive noted down this code number , and even the delivery guy has noted it down in his mobil phone for future use...

Ill update you with any more news.
deestar
Art Expert

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:52 am

Fattyramone wrote:Had an interesting development today in reguards import VAT.

Took delivery from UPS and as per normal they tried to hit me for 20% when it should only be for 5%

Lets leave the fact that they tried to charge me £16.02 for a $40 poster with $40 postage (Obey) when only 4 days ago on Monday they hit me with a lesser sum of £13.?? for a more expensive $55 poster with $50 postage (Obey again) ???

Anyway by now i have on going dialogue with the people at the end of the UPS phone line for VAT issues (they are quite good really) and last Monday i asked if i could ring them before handing over any monies when this happens again as it surely would .

Fast forward 4 days later to today and when the delivery guy tried to hit me for £16.02 , i rang them and to my utter surprise they asked the driver to write down a code number on the pink reciept and I paid ....NOTHING, not a bean , not the expected 5% or even their £3.50 handling fee....NOTHING.

Ive noted down this code number , and even the delivery guy has noted it down in his mobil phone for future use...

Ill update you with any more news.

Interesting.
MMortAH
New User

Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:42 am

Hi all

Has anyone had anything like this from the UKBA? I don't even understand what they're asking for. I'm claiming under 9703 for art pieces.

mushetphoto
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:31 am

How long do claims usually take? And if you're unsuccessful, do they still notify you with some correspondence?

Plus I received a tube today with the tariff code on the tube and the declaration, but still got stung for 20% - poor show.
suchanoo
Art Expert

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:34 am

mushetphoto wrote:How long do claims usually take? And if you're unsuccessful, do they still notify you with some correspondence?

Plus I received a tube today with the tariff code on the tube and the declaration, but still got stung for 20% - poor show.
Claims take 2 or 3 months, possibly more, I have no idea any more. I'm getting cheques through from Her Right Royal Lovlieness, and I can't even remember putting claims in for them.

Never had one rejected.
UK Member? Reclaim some VAT... http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=85994
suchanoo
Art Expert

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:38 am

mushetphoto wrote:Plus I received a tube today with the tariff code on the tube and the declaration, but still got stung for 20% - poor show.
Having the codes on the tube helps on occasion, but apparently the application of the correct tax code is arbitrary.
suchanoo
Art Expert

Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:46 pm

suchanoo wrote:
mushetphoto wrote:Plus I received a tube today with the tariff code on the tube and the declaration, but still got stung for 20% - poor show.
Having the codes on the tube helps on occasion, but apparently the application of the correct tax code is arbitrary.
Just had a $1000+ tube arrive, custom labelled and tube marked with the tariff.....stung for 20%. Hit and miss.

We need to take some action on this. The tariff code is internationally recognised, it is not right that the UK border control can apply or ignore it at will. Especially when it takes them 2 - 3 months to refund any 'mistakes'. What is more, it takes quite some investigation to know that this tax sub-clause and code even exists. How many people in the UK are stiffed on import VAT and don't even realise, accepting it as correct and legal? It's a proper money earner for the government. Even what they pay back sits in their coffers earning it's keep, until they hand it back.

We should draft a letter to Border control, basically telling them to READ THE BLOODY CUSTOMS FORM and everyone who follows this thread (UK or international), who can be bothered to participate, print it, sign it and send it off to the same address at the same time.

If you fancy giving it a go, post here, and if there's enough interest we'll come up with something. I know some people have given it a go individually, but en-masse it may amplify the message. All we're asking them to do is read the customs form which the sender has taken the time to fill out, and then apply the law correctly.

Got to be worth a punt, for the cost of a stamp.
deestar
Art Expert

Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:55 pm

I'm in buddy.