Importing to the UK - VAT & Delivery info

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
sidaldo
Art Expert

Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:01 am

Does the UK charge tax @ 5% at any value or above a certain amount?
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:12 am

sidaldo wrote:Does the UK charge tax @ 5% at any value or above a certain amount?
It's 5% for items of education or culture , prints are considered cultural....normal "posters" are considered a luxury...

.I believe the threshold is £18(?) ....or is it now £13???

Any "luxury" item is 20% and there's a miriad of different figures in between that ...books (educational) are zero rated , children's clothes are zero rated , adult clothes are 5% ...and so on and so on
sidaldo
Art Expert

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:32 am

Fattyramone wrote:
sidaldo wrote:Does the UK charge tax @ 5% at any value or above a certain amount?
It's 5% for items of education or culture , prints are considered cultural....normal "posters" are considered a luxury...

Any "luxury" item is 20% and there's a miriad of different figures in between that ...books (educational) are zero rated , children's clothes are zero rated , adult clothes are 5% ...and so on and so on
So you are saying any LE fine art print above 18 now 13 is taxable at 5%?
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:39 am

sidaldo wrote:
Fattyramone wrote:

So you are saying any LE fine art print above 18 now 13 is taxable at 5%?
Yep that's about the sum of it.

Although in actuality , as most of the UK board members will testify , he will be more than likely charged 20% VAT in error and have to recoup the excess by reclaiming retrospectively from the taxman.

Try and make it as plain as you can that inside the tube is a limited edition art print

By the way , what the hell is "LE"? ...
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:40 am

LE = Limited Edition
VROOOOM!!! TETSUOOOO!!! Image
アキラ
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:43 am

OtomoChaser wrote:LE = Limited Edition
Ok , cheers , be a lot easier to have just written "limited edition"..took me all of 3 seconds to write that out. :roll:
1nkling
Site Admin

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:44 am

sidaldo wrote:So you are saying any LE fine art print above 18 now 13 is taxable at 5%?
HMRC wrote:What are the limits for customs duty and import VAT?

commercial consignments ie goods you have purchased, of £15 or less are free from customs duty and import VAT.
Note: This does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters; these items are excluded from the relief of duty and VAT at import.
In addition, commercial consignments sent to the UK from the Channel Islands do not benefit from any relief of import VAT
if you are sent a gift with a value of £36 or less, which complies with the rules shown in paragraph 2.4, it will be free from customs duty and import VAT.
Art prints should be charged with 5% VAT rather than the usual 20% VAT. There are certain requirements that need to be met for this to happen though.

If the tube is marked with a value above those levels then you need to mark the correct code clearly on the tube too.

Something like:

"Imported, limited edition, signed & numbered silk-screen printed art work. VAT should have been charged at an effective rate of 5% using 'Tariff Code 9702 00 00', according to HMRC Notice 702, section 11.1. Please see attached documentation."
My up to date trades and ISOs.
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:46 am

1nkling wrote:
sidaldo wrote:So you are saying any LE fine art print above 18 now 13 is taxable at 5%?

commercial consignments ie goods you have purchased, of £15 or less are free from customs duty and import VAT.
Note: This does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters; these items are excluded from the relief of duty and VAT at import.
In addition, commercial consignments sent to the UK from the Channel Islands do not benefit from any relief of import VAT
if you are sent a gift with a value of £36 or less, which complies with the rules shown in paragraph 2.4, it will be free from customs duty and import VAT.
Art prints should be charged with 5% VAT rather than the usual 20% VAT. There are certain requirements that need to be met for this to happen though.

If the tube is marked with a value above those levels then you need to mark the correct code clearly on the tube too.

Something like:

"Imported, limited edition, signed & numbered silk-screen printed art work. VAT should have been charged at an effective rate of 5% using 'Tariff Code 9702 00 00', according to HMRC Notice 702, section 11.1. Please see attached documentation."
So true , so , so true ....but do they pay the slightest bit of attention?

Do they bollocks!

But yes your right .
1nkling
Site Admin

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:49 am

Fattyramone wrote:
So true , so , so true ....but do they pay the slightest bit of attention?

Do they bollocks!

But yes your right .
Helps with the claiming back though. :wink:

You seem particularly grumpy today. Haemorrhoids playing up? :P
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:51 am

1nkling wrote:

Something like:

Also , , and I only found this out a few weeks ago ,all tarrif codes are now 10 digits and not 8 digit codes , so it should now be

Aye , always grumpy me :D ...I'm not happy unless I'm pissed off with something or somebody!
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:54 am

1nkling
Site Admin

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:57 am

Fattyramone wrote:
Also , , and I only found this out a few weeks ago ,all tarrif codes are now 10 digits and not 8 digit codes , so it should now be

Aye , always grumpy me :D ...I'm not happy unless I'm pissed off with something or somebody!
Thats for Paintings, drawings and pastels, executed entirely by hand, other than drawings of heading 4906 and other than hand-painted or hand-decorated manufactured articles; collages and similar decorative plaques

Apparently its 9702000000 for Original engravings, prints and lithographs @ 5% VAT rate. Thats the importing code anyway. The exporting code is the one we were using before.

Good tip though.
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:03 am

I'm confused myself now! ...

Was talking to customs only a couple of weeks ago , and was getting somewhere until he asked for the tariff code , I confidently gave him the old 8 digit code that we've all quoted on here , and he wanted a 10 digit one ..which threw me.

I lost the will to live by that time.

And you ask why I'm grumpy?
1nkling
Site Admin

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:09 am

You seem to be right about the ten digits. Its just the old one we were using with a couple of 0's on the end though.

You'd think they could work it out though. :roll:
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:30 am

So just to confirm ....9702000000 ..is our new number to quote yes?

Maybe if Dave Suchanoo is reading this he can alter his opening posting and input this new info where the old (now incorrect) tariff number is.

Or maybe you can abuse your position of hacking moderator and do it for him when he's not looking.

Otherwise in a few weeks time we will have forgotten all this new info.