Canadian Customs

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
maden
Art Expert

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:52 pm

First Class from USPS has size limitations on tubes (24" in length I think)
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

veltri
Art Expert

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:35 pm

Nemesis01 wrote:So if I get something shipped first class it has the least chance of me being charged taxes on top of it?
Yes, and first class usually comes uninsured.

And I get 24x36 prints that were sent first class, so not sure about Maden's comment, unless that's something new.
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
lcsproductions
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:54 pm

bethemonkey wrote:All of us Canadian EB'ers should get a Post office box in the US.. Buffalo for example and then ship out the prints to the others as they arrive.
We all split the cost, but someone has to go down there at least once a month and then re-ship them.
Love this idea.
$250 for the pair shipped and insured. Both are mint. Shipping should be around 7 or 8 bucks.

FYI: this was the collection that didn't make my walls, still beats your shitty little collections...and if it doesn't, I still couldn't care less.
lcsproductions
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:56 pm

I hate it when people shipping me stuff overvalue it. Then the fees are based on their overvaluation.

The real drymounter in the situation is when you use UPS or Fedeex because they charge you exorbitant brokerage fee's on top of the duty. :hanging:
$250 for the pair shipped and insured. Both are mint. Shipping should be around 7 or 8 bucks.

FYI: this was the collection that didn't make my walls, still beats your shitty little collections...and if it doesn't, I still couldn't care less.
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:10 pm

lcsproductions wrote:I hate it when people shipping me stuff overvalue it. Then the fees are based on their overvaluation.
I despise this. Some people claim it's for extra protection, and I just think, "What are you even talking about?"
Moriarty
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:32 pm

This might be a little too late to throw my two cents in to this maybe I can point out some things. I work for Fedex.

- Fedex's brokerage fee as of this day at Fedex is $10.20 CAD and it's a flat rate.
- There are three factors here. Customs and duties administered by Customs Canada. Taxes administered by the Government of Canada. Brokerage fee by the carrier.
- Nothing is legally allowed to be declared $0.00. All objects have to have a value. ($1.00 replaces $0.00)
- Shipments marked, "bona fide gift" (and that is the legal description that Canada Customs can't do jack all about) valued under $100.00 CAD is allowed into the country customs and duty free. It's all about the mighty dollar. If the value is crappy, customs can't make money off it, it goes through.
- If there is any variation, let's say you value the print for insurance at $100.00 but for carriage (shipping) at $20.00 you are going straight to customs.
- If you value a $900.00 print at $20.00 to get past customs and it gets mangled, your claim will legally be for $20.00.
- If the shipper over valued something (happens all the time, idiots) you need to have it out with the shipper, customs don't care cause they are legally covered.

If you're buying a cheaper print (-$100 get whomever to ship it to you as a "art print, bona fide gift" and shove a value of $50.00 on it.
If you are buying something of investment, or good value, it's better to think about customs, taxes, brokerage BEFORE you buy it. Add it into the cost and value it for what it's really worth. That way, yes you eat some costs, but you are totally covered.

Seriously I can go on forever. The UK has it the worst with VAT. Things used to be easier but since 9/11, now all customs are being scrutinized like crazy so it's more about legally covering their ass. Let me know if you have any specific questions.