AP vs Numbered Print

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
Seamusaurus
New User

Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:38 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on which holds more value, APs or numbered prints?
downbytheriver
Art Expert

Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:44 pm

neither
"lance wrote:drymount, man, this is better than Disneyland! chef wrote: I used to think if I died in an evil place, then my soul wouldn't be able to make it to Heaven. But now? drymount! I mean, I don't care where it goes, as long as it ain't here.
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:45 pm

Seamusaurus wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on which holds more value, APs or numbered prints?
Technically, APs should... but I really don't think that it makes that much of a difference aside from the situations where the AP has some sort of variance from the original numbered run. This being said... If I had my choice of between the numbered edition and an AP, I'd choose the AP.
fredo
Art God

Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:58 pm

Your typical AP will hold a'least 5 times's much weight. Why, I once saw an AP- couldn'ta been more'n a 18x24 if it was an inch- pick up a subway train and THROW it sturraight through an equal sized nummerd print. Gawd as mah witness.
just a foil for me today, thanks
cktbreaker
Art Expert

Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:59 pm

Seems most people have an inate sense that AP's are more desirable, no matter what the situation. I think when peeps get an AP it makes them feel a little fuzzy inside as if the artist aimed to choose them for the AP. If the AP is different from the original run then yes, those AP's would be more desirable and carry more value as they will come up less for sale.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:12 pm

Traditionally, AP's are handpicked by the artist before the print run is numbered. Also traditionally, the number of AP's is only ~10% of the full run.

Therefore, there are two legitimate reasons why AP's are traditionally more desireable, more collectible, and more valuable than the regular print run.

P.S. - There is not supposed to be any difference in the image of an AP and a regular edition print. That is, AP's are NOT variants.
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
veltri
Art Expert

Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:20 pm

Personal preference is a numbered AP. Being numbered in a small edition size makes me feel extra special, not part of the hoi polloi. 1/1 AP's are the best because you're the only one in the world with it. THE WORLD!!
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
Blackheart
Art Expert

Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:25 pm

Are we really doing this again?
I have spent 90% of my money on women and wine..........the rest i wasted.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:32 pm

LOL!
That's what I thought, but I jumped in again anyway. As a result of your post, blackheart, I have a new New Year's resolution for 2012... don't jump into fudge that's nothing more than a rehash of topics already beaten to death. Thanks!
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
trarex
Art Expert

Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:34 pm

Everytime a bell rings a noob is born.
welcome to a new year
jr 2.PNG
"Lay off Detroit, Them peoples is living in Mad Max times." Moe Szyslak
timc
Art Expert

Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:35 pm

Ap to me: print sold out artist has ap's another chance to score the print from the artist instead of secondary market. :D happy with either version.
Everything woke turns to fudge.
America First.
https://lowfshop.com/
mattlew69
Art Expert

Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:35 pm

Arent TRUE AP's typically worse than the numbered run. The artist get the AP's from the printer to proof from. Therefore, there could be mistakes, errors, or other changes the artists wants to make before the final print run. I have always assumed these were the proofs that most artists sell as AP's.

Nowadays, its seems artists run a separate AP set, which is usually consists of 10-20% of the original run. Then, the artist has copies to whom he/she can give out as he/she pleases.
veltri
Art Expert

Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:47 pm

I think it depends on the artist.
I've gotten offcenter, crooked, poorly printed, and failed tests as AP's but also some normal ones.
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.