Collection data for insurance?

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
stsmytherie
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:03 pm

Would it be possible to get a collection listing that could be used for assigning a value to a collection for insurance purposes?

I'd think the necessary data would start with a list of all items in my collection, and for each item the following data:

Identifying info (name, artist, year)
Class
Edition
# in collection (if available)
Date acquired (if available)
Price paid (if available)
Original price
Last Price
Highest Price
six month average price

Table output would be fine. CSV would be better.

On a related note, are the databases available to be programmed against (readonly, of course)?
ill
Art Expert

Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:34 pm

This would indeed be extremely useful. I was going to write a script to go through my collection and parse this all for me, but I got lazy and never got around to it.
redbear
Art Expert

Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:47 pm

An API would be seriously cool.
dougr
Site Admin

Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:50 pm

members can currently export their collection to .pdf using the "Save Collection" link in the Member Tools module, viewable from one's collection page. most of those suggested fields are included in the .pdf export. imho the original price would be a useful field to add.

i'm not on the EB Board but imho it is highly unlikely that EB will go for exports that would allow for the co-opting of EB's database, or for the use of the database by off-site programs.

as far as putting a value on one's collection through EB, this has been discussed in several other threads, but the data just isn't there for so many pieces. most insurance companies require a licensed appraisal of art for valuing purposes in any event.
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
stsmytherie
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:34 am

The existing output format is completely useless for this purpose.

As far as the insurance goes, I'm simply looking for a way to estimate the replacement cost. My insurance allows me to state the amount of coverage I want. They are not insuring individual items.

I can go ahead and do it by hand. It simply won't get updated as often as I'd like.