how long does it take for art i submitted to be approved?

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
ryefish75
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:11 am

liamc93 wrote:i thought the size of the image wasn't an issue....just as long as it was focused and cropped.

what's the recommended size of an image when submitting stuff?
Images should be reduced to a maximum 600 pixels wide x 800 pixels high (after cropping).
dougr
Site Admin

Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:16 pm

one of the main reasons a submittal may linger in the queue is poor image quality, or it needs cropping and/or resizing. please refer to the Image Guidelines when submitting art or pictures to EB.

the other common reason is that the submittal requires excessive time to correct or fill-in information. the Adding Art to EB guidelines in the EB Wiki have been updated recently and will be expanded with additional detail, but if everyone would follow the basics the review process would speed up greatly. Thanks! :)
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
aahnutz
EB Team

Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:29 pm

dougr wrote:one of the main reasons a submittal may linger in the queue is poor image quality, or it needs cropping and/or resizing. please refer to the Image Guidelines when submitting art or pictures to EB.

the other common reason is that the submittal requires excessive time to correct or fill-in information. the Adding Art to EB guidelines in the EB Wiki have been updated recently and will be expanded with additional detail, but if everyone would follow the basics the review process would speed up greatly. Thanks! :)
Worth repeating. Honestly, I've spent the better part of the day cropping and resizing art images submitted for approval. That and retyping titles using the proper format, visiting artist sites for additional information or better images, researching venues because either the city is not included or just the event date has been submitted (no venue or city). The other thing I'm seeing is members are not making use of the drop down menus for artists, bands, and venues. That adds extra time for approval as well. Also seeing a lot of duplicate listings. Is adding art using the current form that difficult? :?
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
liamc93
Art Expert

Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:10 pm

a big 'thank you' to the EB team for taking the time to correct all of the images and listings.

it is appreciated by the non-computer savvy people on the boards. we will try to get better! :D
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:12 pm

It has more to do with laziness and stupidity than lack of technical savvy. With that being said, the submission guidelines should be amended a little. For example, it doesn't explicitly say that the image should be 800x600 (at most) on the submit art page. It just mentions something about 600 pixels on the longest side.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:40 pm

Well I'm pretty sure everything I've ever submitted has been too big. Sorry.

Does that 600 x 800 rule apply to everything in the Image Gallery? Because I've never upped anything that small, I don't think, but I can start.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
phishbeatles
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:39 am

I think you guys needs to get more volunteers to help submit the art. Believe me I am not complaining at all, and I understand the amount of volume coming in. But I also know for a fact I've had at least one submission almost a year old that hasn't been aprooved and one recently I just did a couple of months ago that hasn't been aprooved. Both have all the proper things filled out and they are not grainy pictures and are the max allotted size and don't need to be cropped.

I mean if it really is the case of getting back logged maybe you should start denying the submissions and have an automatic email sent to the submitter asking them to do the work and fill out the missing info or asking them to re-size image.
"thanks for doing that for us slow people!!" Jojodumbass
aahnutz
EB Team

Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:09 am

phishbeatles wrote:I think you guys needs to get more volunteers to help submit the art. Believe me I am not complaining at all, and I understand the amount of volume coming in. But I also know for a fact I've had at least one submission almost a year old that hasn't been aprooved and one recently I just did a couple of months ago that hasn't been aprooved. Both have all the proper things filled out and they are not grainy pictures and are the max allotted size and don't need to be cropped.

I mean if it really is the case of getting back logged maybe you should start denying the submissions and have an automatic email sent to the submitter asking them to do the work and fill out the missing info or asking them to re-size image.
I really doubt it has been sitting there for a couple of months. I know because I cleared the approval queue the end of December with the exception of the movie posters that were submitted. There was only one item in the queue with your name on it. I just approved it.
phishbeatles
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:27 pm

aahnutz wrote:
phishbeatles wrote:I think you guys needs to get more volunteers to help submit the art. Believe me I am not complaining at all, and I understand the amount of volume coming in. But I also know for a fact I've had at least one submission almost a year old that hasn't been aprooved and one recently I just did a couple of months ago that hasn't been aprooved. Both have all the proper things filled out and they are not grainy pictures and are the max allotted size and don't need to be cropped.

I really doubt it has been sitting there for a couple of months. I know because I cleared the approval queue the end of December with the exception of the movie posters that were submitted. There was only one item in the queue with your name on it. I just approved it.
I apologize then as it seemed like I submitted that a while ago. I wonder what ever happened to the thing I sent in about a year back? Anyways you guys should consider rejecting submissions if they are not the properly filled out or the image is the wrong size.
"thanks for doing that for us slow people!!" Jojodumbass
ryefish75
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:41 am

phishbeatles wrote:...Anyways you guys should consider rejecting submissions if they are not the properly filled out or the image is the wrong size.
I can't speak for the EB Team, but it would seem that rejecting submissions outright, even some of the sloppier ones, would discourage too many submissions. That's something I don't think anyone wants. As much as I would love to toss out some really poor submissions, this site is great because mods take the time to get them right to get them approved.

Think of the approval process as quality control, the correct submissions will breeze through, the others will be delayed.

If you're having issues getting art you've submitted approved, this thread might be a good place to bring it up. You can also PM me regarding any submission you have in the queue and I'll look into it, fix it if necessary, tell you what was incorrect and get it approved. Mind you I'm only one man and may not be able to get on it right away, but I will certainly try.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:13 pm

mistersmith wrote:Well I'm pretty sure everything I've ever submitted has been too big. Sorry.

Does that 600 x 800 rule apply to everything in the Image Gallery? Because I've never upped anything that small, I don't think, but I can start.
My understanding is it doesn't need to be exactly that size, but should be pretty damn close.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
aahnutz
EB Team

Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:02 pm

phishbeatles wrote:...you guys should consider rejecting submissions if they are not the properly filled out or the image is the wrong size.
It just took me two hours to approve 18 submissions. Most of that time was spent researching/filling in missing information, editing information submitted (proper format, correct spelling, capitalization, etc.), resizing/rotating/cropping images, or finding suitable replacements for the images submitted. I also had to send notices to a few people who submitted the same art twice or who submitted a piece already in the database, at the same time attaching links. Several new editions to existing prints were also added - something more suited for the Help/Suggestions Corrections thread or could have easily been submitted as an additional image with pertinent information attached. There are still approximately 130 submissions in the queue. You know, if we rejected all the art not properly submitted, there wouldn't be much to do. I would ask that members please read the Adding Art suggestions in the wiki. It would make approving new art so much easier and it wouldn't take as much time as it presently does. Thanks.
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:03 pm

Codeblue wrote:
mistersmith wrote:Well I'm pretty sure everything I've ever submitted has been too big. Sorry.

My understanding is it doesn't need to be exactly that size, but should be pretty damn close.
We size it to the correct size automatically, so the original size does not matter. However, extremely large images may exceed upload limits ~5MB and since the reviewer gets to deal with the image in its original form it can be a pain. The general idea is EB shows the image at that size, so the submitter has the option to optimize the image for that size. However, badly formatted images and pictures sitting sideways take a lot more time to approve because the reviewer has to fix the image instead of letting the automatic process handle it.
madamburnside
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:11 pm

Hi. I'm very new to this site, but have a lot of posters in my collection from the 1960's that are not on expressobeans. I tried to add them, but I still don't see them in the search engine. I want to complete my collection of these posters. I am almost certain that a lot of you who collect posters also have these. How long does it take for the system to recognize an added poster? Am I doing something wrong?

The posters that I want to add were printed between the years 1967-1972, but they weren't concert oriented. They are just really beautiful images. Any help on this would be great.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:14 pm