ebay question...

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
djpubbs
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:16 am

...even with auctions not concerning posters, just junk, etc....how long do you give buyers to pay? i don't want to jump the gun and leave negative feedback if it is unecessary, or uncalled for, but it has been about a week with no response or payment sent. i have sent a couple of messages to the buyer.

any guidance/rules of thumb would be appreciated!

thanks in advance!
iratasan wrote:a wise man once said "you know that you have a problem when you start hanging pictures at door knob height."
guyforget
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:22 am

You can file an unpaid item dispute after 7 days of non-payment. Usually if I dont hear a peep from a buyer I file as soon as it allows me. If Ive heard from the buyer as to why payment is delayed, obviously I give them some leeway. But if a buyer is completely silent for a week after winning, I file as soon as the system allows.
pjtaper wrote: I'm glad EMEK knows I'm not a flipper
Mapman
Art Expert

Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:23 am

I give what ebay gives before you can report them for non paying bidding. 7 days, on the 8th day I report them, which doesn't do anything really except gives them another week to pay, but sends them some sort of pop up or message saying they've been reported. If they don't pay within that week, they get a strike, you get your fees back and you can relist. I also thought you could leave negative feedback, but that might have changed recently.

I always list the time limit in my auction details, and also list what I will do. I think that if you have time to bid, you should be able to find the time to pay, and 7 days is plenty. I will give them a few days, then start sending them reminder invoices every other day. Then give them a heads up that I will be reporting them. The only time I will excuse this is if the buyer contacts me in ADVANCE of bidding that they can't pay right away, and it would have to be a reasonable amount of time, or I'll report them. Of course no one has ever contacted me in advance and I've had to report 2-3 non paying bidders in the past.
db23
Art Expert

Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:25 am

and now you're f'd because you can't leave negative feedback anymore as the seller. only buyers can leave negative feedback for the seller.
djpubbs
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:31 am

thanks guys...i'm not a big seller on ebay, but i do purchase a lot! :D

the info. you guys have given me is great! i honestly didn't know about the unpaid item dispute process after 7 days deal...getting the listing fees back would be nice!

so, again, thanks a lot fellas!
iratasan wrote:a wise man once said "you know that you have a problem when you start hanging pictures at door knob height."