Tone of the Forums - Thoughts/Solutions

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
sabotage
Art Expert

Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:53 pm

I really feel this thread is a step in the right direction. Its encouraging to read the ideas of the members, what is interesting to me is the members that are adding their 2 cents are the members that I tend to respect in all threads.

I love the idea of a "guest" artist. Some of my favorite threads have been discussions with artists.
I agree with CB on the issue of censorship, but I also think there has to be rules for a community to work.
pjtaper
Art Freak

Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:10 pm

Yeah, I can't wait for a new peaceful eb...
GreenMt
Art Expert

Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:43 pm

Like it or not, EB is a sociological phenomenon. Many things affect it, but it sounds as if when it was smaller, it felt like a family. Now that it has grown to the size of a small town, not everyone knows or likes everyone else. The interface of the internet is also very different from living in the same small town. Every community past a very small size has required rules or enforcement of some kind, to keep the community functioning as well as possible for the majority. Anarchy is an unpleasant alternative.

The poster world has also rapidly changed, so that many are treating these artworks as commodities, which they are in that they have a value, and the upper values of the most sought after posters has climbed, and I believe, will likely continue to climb (with ups and downs) as time passes.
silver
Art Expert

Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:46 pm

gp is a phenomenally ran site thanks to it's members and especially clay.

look at the number of members there who joined 5,6,7 years ago and still are active members. that's says a lot.

also, no gp...probably no flatstock.
GR8Dane
Art Expert

Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:53 pm

From what I have seen lately, it has become a haven for flippers here. Lets go to eb and see what people are after today??? Buy it, pimp it out, hype it up, and get as much as you can for it. More and more people buying posters they could care less about, just to profit in the future. Care less about the art, who did it, or anything close. Just how much can I get for it. Thus raising attitudes of everyone around here. Favors used to come often between people. That has stopped, and turned it into a ruthless business. No friends, no favors.

I have sent posters out for free, on my dime. Hoping that people will return the favor in the future, and many have. In turn I try to help them as much as possible. I doubt I will being doing that very much anymore unless you have helped me out before.

There are many great people on these boards. I just hope that the taste around here lately dosen't sour them.
DeltaSigCho4
Art Enthusiast

Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:13 pm

The pathetic pjtaper post should have been blocked after the fifth page..I'm not sure why it was allowed to go on so long.

Code: Select all

EB Forum

Posts may be deleted or modified for any reason, including violation of this User Agreement.

Personal Attacks

Do not make personal attacks or defamatory comments about anyone - artists, EB members, vendors....ANYONE. The EB Forums are not a place for flame wars or settling personal disputes. Do not post that so-and-so is a [insert pejorative here] or that so-and-so's artwork sucks. You are free to give your opinion, but there is an obvious line drawn between expressing your opinion constructively and just being rude. 
Flimby

Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:21 pm

DeltaSigCho4 wrote:The pathetic pjtaper post should have been blocked after the fifth page..I'm not sure why it was allowed to go on so long.
DeltaSigCho4, pick one handle and stick with it, ok?
thanks
dimejinky99
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:49 pm

I consider BRY to be the most ignorant, hostile, and unfriendly of the sites in this hobby but I gotta agree, this place is sliding down that way.
There's Just no need for the heavy handed nasty personal remarks that are beginning to appear over the dumbest of stuff, down as far as insulting people over their taste in colour variants.

I mostly read pearl jam threads and more and more I think it sounds like the message pit assholes come over here on holiday, and are either rude to begin with, ask stupid dumb questions that have answers if they'd just LOOK or have hostility from the Pj/Ames haters here which then inspires rudeness from them.

Ain't got nothing good to say? don't say nothing at all...
dave d
ChefFerrari
Art Expert

Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:12 pm

dimejinky99 wrote:I consider BRY to be the most ignorant, hostile, and unfriendly of the sites in this hobby but I gotta agree, this place is sliding down that way.
There's Just no need for the heavy handed nasty personal remarks that are beginning to appear over the dumbest of stuff, down as far as insulting people over their taste in colour variants.

I mostly read pearl jam threads and more and more I think it sounds like the message pit assholes come over here on holiday, and are either rude to begin with, ask stupid dumb questions that have answers if they'd just LOOK or have hostility from the Pj/Ames haters here which then inspires rudeness from them.

Ain't got nothing good to say? don't say nothing at all...
Actually the older members on BRY and the Mods keep people in line so stupid fudge is nipped in the bud. Many new people have joined BRY and fit just fine. If you step out of line you are pounced on.
pjtaper
Art Freak

Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:20 pm

DeltaSigCho4 wrote:The pathetic pjtaper post should have been blocked after the fifth page..I'm not sure why it was allowed to go on so long.

Code: Select all

EB Forum

Posts may be deleted or modified for any reason, including violation of this User Agreement.

Personal Attacks

Do not make personal attacks or defamatory comments about anyone - artists, EB members, vendors....ANYONE. The EB Forums are not a place for flame wars or settling personal disputes. Do not post that so-and-so is a [insert pejorative here] or that so-and-so's artwork sucks. You are free to give your opinion, but there is an obvious line drawn between expressing your opinion constructively and just being rude. 
What are you talking about? Please, if you have a problem with something I say, PM me.
Thanks!
dimejinky99
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:33 pm

ChefFerrari wrote:If you step out of line you are pounced on.
If stepping out of line means asking an honest question or daring to post about trades or iso's or justabout anything well then yeah, an awful lot of 'jumping on' goes down over there. Pointless even going there and that's a shame 'cos it used to be a great resource with helpful members.

I'd hate to se this place go like that.
dave d
electrachrome
Site Admin

Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:47 pm

ChefFerrari wrote:Another idea I had was to take EB off line for week. Let everyone have a big time out to go outside and play.
it has been brought up amongst the team and seriously considered.
jojobadass wrote:
richardtharbaugh wrote:Crazy as it sounds, I know that stuff would cost time/money for someone to put together, and if nobody was biting to do it for free, I'd support the idea of a membership charge and a re-acceptance of a new terms of service to join.
part of what makes EB great is it's free.
the site will remain free.
iratasan wrote:we are collectors and as such we are all nerds up to a certain points. most artists will never be comfortable around us. they'll always feel like william shatner on a star trek convention. the separation of GP and EP is preprogrammed as the interests or artists and collectors are different.
I stongly agree...and it's unfortunate. as much as i would like to find broad common ground, artist and collectors are really comming from two very different worlds. there is a symbiotic relationship between us, but verry little understanding of where the other is comming from. one of my favorite comments recently was something like, "expressobeans.com, where the sense of entitlement runs deep". Truth be told, much of the work on here was not made for us. it's made for the band, the promoter, the dude (or dudette) at the show, the artist themselves....and then maybe for the collectorz (if we even ever cross the artist's mind). I would love for this site to be a weloming and comfortable place for artists to share their process, but the reality is we don't have as much to offer them as the honest critique, admiration and comradery of the peer group of fellow artists.
jojobadass wrote:EB is not nearly as bad as GP.

Personally, besides the classified section, I think GP is a huge waste of time.
I stronly dissagree, but the two sites are completely diffent animals. I think GP at it's basic core is like the office water cooler. it's an informal place to brainstorm, tell jokes, start projects, talk about that movie you saw last week, etc...many of these artists (unless working in a collective) don't have the feedback that many other professions do without an online social network.
GreenMt wrote:Like it or not, EB is a sociological phenomenon. Many things affect it, but it sounds as if when it was smaller, it felt like a family. Now that it has grown to the size of a small town, not everyone knows or likes everyone else. The interface of the internet is also very different from living in the same small town. Every community past a very small size has required rules or enforcement of some kind, to keep the community functioning as well as possible for the majority. Anarchy is an unpleasant alternative.
one of my personal missions is to try and nurture that sense of community that was at the heart of this site at it's inception. from many of the previous posts it sounds like many of you are onboard with that vibe. I thank you for your comments and welcome any ideas you have to help keep this site useful, acurate, and a welcome stop for anyone currious about the genre of poster art.

as to general forum conduct, please remember that it's not some anonymous username you are dealing with...it's a living, breathing human being. stop, reread & think before you hit submit. thanks
ChefFerrari
Art Expert

Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:53 pm

dimejinky99 wrote:
ChefFerrari wrote:If you step out of line you are pounced on.
If stepping out of line means asking an honest question or daring to post about trades or iso's or justabout anything well then yeah, an awful lot of 'jumping on' goes down over there. Pointless even going there and that's a shame 'cos it used to be a great resource with helpful members.

I'd hate to se this place go like that.
dimejinky99

View Member Profile
Add as Friend
Send Message
Find Member's Topics
Find Member's Posts August 24, 2007, 8:34 pm Post #7

Boyscout

Group: Members

QUOTE(nanook599 @ August 25, 2007, 1:25 am) [snapback]3617862[/snapback]
Triscuits are the only way to fly when eating spinach dip.

I'll accept wheat thins as a second option, but a distant second.

um..i dont mean to be unkind...

what are you talking about? we're here to talk about posters...

stand up comedians have their own little dark corner somewhere online...your probably the mod there...

eat the grits and drymount off. ok?

have a nice day. gimp.
When you make posts like that to one of the nicest people on BRY who sends people DVDs of shows and CD's of shows at his cost. Yes you will get jumped on

http://www.blackredyellow.com/bryforums ... 18906&st=0

[/url]
GR8Dane
Art Expert

Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:56 pm

Wish there were more Nanook's in this world. You are right on Chef. One of the nicest guys I have never met!
ajosephb
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:00 am

you guys should sell all your posters and pay off your credit cards