Larger Images Feedback

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:09 pm

as most of you may have noticed by now the thumbnail images on the site have been bumped up a size. this has been requested several times over the last year. looking at a couple other similar sites the new size is more on par with an art site where the main content is images.

i was browsing an artists' prints trying to find one i was unfamiliar with and it was a nightmare trying to figure out what was what without squinting. the larger images in most cases are a significant improvement over the tiny thumbnails the site displayed before.

it's certainly not perfect, constructive feedback is welcome. a few people using mobile have noted that they don't like the larger images, i'm really unclear why. i think it looks significantly nicer. yes the layout is not the best, but at least the images are now visible.

how can the layout with larger images be improved without catering to a mobile only site? is the corresponding text too small?

if all you have to say is it sucks, please take it elsewhere, i'm not interested.
finneganm
Art Freak

Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:15 pm

I think it works great for looking through your collection, ISOs/For Sale.

MyPage looks a mess simply because the EBay alerts/Trade alerts section looks silly. If you want to keep the number of alerts shown at 6, I would bring the size fir those particular sections back to how it used to be (or alternatively switch to say 3 alerts each).

For those people that truly hate it, is a “classic” mode a possibility?
That's what she said
papaver
Tech Team Member

Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:17 pm

finneganm wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:15 pm
I think it works great for looking through your collection, ISOs/For Sale.

MyPage looks a mess simply because the EBay alerts/Trade alerts section looks silly. If you want to keep the number of alerts shown at 6, I would bring the size fir those particular sections back to how it used to be (or alternatively switch to say 3 alerts each).

For those people that truly hate it, is a “classic” mode a possibility?
thanks for the note about ebay alerts / trades. i totally missed that when i was looking through the site. i'll revert that section to be smaller for now as a quick fix.

i initially looked into having a toggle, but the way the site is structured makes it incrediblely time consuming. i was hoping to just change it for the ios/collections/search section but again extremely time consuming.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:18 pm

on my page I only see a portion of the prints (the upper left corner). Main page Hot Today shows everything as a list. I do not like it. I do not like it one bit
recycler
Art Expert

Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:28 pm

Was the larger thumbnail to make the site more appealing on smart phones?
theperfecttree
EB Team

Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:34 pm

we're throwing around ideas to make the front page look a little better. thanks for the feedback, keep it coming
recycler wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:28 pm
Was the larger thumbnail to make the site more appealing on smart phones?
goal is to make browsing an artists work or your own collection/ISOs easier

it's a big improvement for a pages like this https://expressobeans.com/members/wante ... e=recycler or this https://expressobeans.com/public/search.php?artist=993
lessthanthreerecords
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:50 pm

I'm not overly crazy about it, but then again, I generally don't tend to like change at first, so I'll probably get used to it. I get the idea of being about to see the image a little more clearly. However, a ton less fit on a screen, so there's a lot more scrolling to do. Is it possible to size them somewhere in between what they are now and what they used to be? Well, like I said, I'll get used to it, but at least for right now, I prefer the old size.
veltri
Art Expert

Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:09 pm

The part that needed to be bigger was random art due to unfamiliarity.
This is more obvious now that it's the only remaining small thumbnail.
I prefer hot today small for a quick look.
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
theperfecttree
EB Team

Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:20 pm

veltri, good and obvious point about random art. I had missed that and made a note, though we're not sure how to make that bigger without throwing off the entire left side of the page. fix is tbd, will hopefully come up with something.

Here's a wip alternate view of the front page. Hot Today box will up/downsize to the width of your screen.

veltri
Art Expert

Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:48 pm

The alternative looks better already.

With larger thumbnails, 'see all hot today' could be placed at the top for more direct access.
Edit, I see 'hot today' is already in 'art lists' and is the same as 'see all hot today'

Random can be in right column below originals.

Main menu items now have space for a larger font size.
Last edited by veltri on Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
bubbie
Art Expert

Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:07 pm

For a while now, I use the site almost exclusively on the phone. The main page definitely looked better with small thumbnails, without the need to scroll through it at all. I don’t think that should be messed with. That’s my opinion, of course, and other may disagree.

Search for an artist or iso list or something similar is definitely an improvement. You would also be kind of expecting to scroll through and having a better look as opposed to a quick glance on the main page.

The random art could probably benefit from an “enlargement”, yet if it comes with enlarging everything else on the main page, my vote would go towards returning it to the way it was.
recycler
Art Expert

Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:31 pm

bubbie wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:07 pm
For a while now, I use the site almost exclusively on the phone. The main page definitely looked better with small thumbnails, without the need to scroll through it at all. I don’t think that should be messed with. That’s my opinion, of course, and other may disagree.

Search for an artist or iso list or something similar is definitely an improvement. You would also be kind of expecting to scroll through and having a better look as opposed to a quick glance on the main page.

The random art could probably benefit from an “enlargement”, yet if it comes with enlarging everything else on the main page, my vote would go towards returning it to the way it was.
I agree with bubbie I think due to the large amount of scrolling to see all thumbnails.

Also, text is way to small for images. However, I prefer the original or maybe the mock up theperfecttree posted at 8:20
lessthanthreerecords
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:26 am

I notice that as of today, there are 3 or 4 entries on each row, where yesterday there were only 1 or 2 (depending on the page). This is definitely an improvement from what it was yesterday since more fit on a screen and there is a bit less scrolling to see everything. Personally, I would still prefer the images to be a little smaller (even if they are larger than they used to be), but what I'm seeing now is definitely more usable than what it looked like yesterday.
jpicken
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:34 am

Not a fan. I mostly view page on a monitor from my PC.
I like to scroll through multiple pages of "what's hot". This makes it harder.

In the grand scheme of things, not that big a deal either way.
Site seems relatively stable. Thanks for keeping the lights on in this place.
ImageX5
DMBfan
Art Expert

Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:26 am

looks great in the search function...