How to tell the authenticity of the Screen poster?

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
ShirleyYang
New User

Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:28 am

Hi ! Everyone !
I just started collecting screen posters this year. I have a lot of questions. Is it possible for screen posters to be fake?
I see a sample version sale on ebay, and there is no number, but in the EB community, there is no option to sell sample. Can I buy and collect this kind of poster? Is there any difference between them and numbered posters? (I hope this question won't disappoint some collectors, but I'm really curious.)
And are there any other kinds of fakes? Is there a way to distinguish them? Thanks for someone could answering me.
bert
Art Expert

Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:40 pm

Generally speaking, there’s usually the numbered run, then the artist sometimes has ‘Artist Proof’ copies that they sell, which are often separate to the numbered run.

Then there can be test prints, printers proofs, samples etc. If you like the image, I think they’re fine to buy/collect, but I think their value would usually be less than the numbered run/AP copies, so keep that in mind. They’re usually also screen prints.

As for fake screen prints - I have seen lots of bootleg digital print versions of popular art for sale, but not many fake screen prints outside of artists like Banksy.

If in doubt with regards to the authenticity of a certain print, ask here and I’m sure someone can help.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:22 pm

Look out for people on ebay selling the same imagery you see on screenprints for pennies on the dollar. It's likely that they printed it out at home. Seems pretty rampant these days.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:32 pm

There's been a bunch of Marvel posters sold on ebay recently that were samples sent to the studio. They are not part of the edition, so they are not numbered. They are not "fake" as they are actual screen prints but they were not intended for public sale.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
trarex
Art Expert

Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:43 pm

Screen prints are ink pushed through a screen with each color done separately .
It doesn't take to long looking at screen prints to see a difference between it and a giclee or photo copy
They are also not faked to much because its a expensive time consuming process the more colors it has (see banksy warning above )
"Lay off Detroit, Them peoples is living in Mad Max times." Moe Szyslak