Importing to the UK - VAT & Delivery info

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:15 am

Ah of course! I wonder if anyone employs that process today? I guess I was just locked into thinking of modern prints and completely disregarded the fact people might be purchasing older stuff. I know a few artists who create original engravings but they often don't sell the actual originals and just create prints from them, some do though. Thanks for highlighting my ignorance.
HippyChick
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:33 pm

I think the rules were written quite a while back so there's no ignorance on your part - you're just not stuck in the dark ages (like much of the legislation 😆). The definitions could do with being updated but they are global definitions based on harmonised tariff codes so that would take quite a bit of collaborative work with international trade partners (don't hold your breath!!).

The key thing about the reduced VAT rate is (I think) that it's designed to help artists who produce their own works to be competitive against galleries / commercial artists. That's why the focus is on the production method and is quite restrictive.

Thanks for listening though, @jvwoodford. I know I only jump in on forums to highlight rules and that doesn't always go down well with everyone! It doesn't help that there's this myth floating around that "art" is eligible for reduced VAT - it's repeated so often that it's understandable that people take it as gospel and applicable to all prints/sculptures etc. Sigh.....
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:11 pm

HippyChick wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:33 pm
I think the rules were written quite a while back so there's no ignorance on your part - you're just not stuck in the dark ages (like much of the legislation 😆). The definitions could do with being updated but they are global definitions based on harmonised tariff codes so that would take quite a bit of collaborative work with international trade partners (don't hold your breath!!).

The key thing about the reduced VAT rate is (I think) that it's designed to help artists who produce their own works to be competitive against galleries / commercial artists. That's why the focus is on the production method and is quite restrictive.

Thanks for listening though, @jvwoodford. I know I only jump in on forums to highlight rules and that doesn't always go down well with everyone! It doesn't help that there's this myth floating around that "art" is eligible for reduced VAT - it's repeated so often that it's understandable that people take it as gospel and applicable to all prints/sculptures etc. Sigh.....
I hear you, I must admit I am guilty of repeatedly telling people that 'art print' is eligible for reduced VAT (and to be fair I have actually had numerous refunds after filing claims for it) but I'm eating humble pie now and won't be doing it again. Appreciate you sharing your knowledge.
FairArt
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:13 pm

Appreciate the advice HippyChick ❤️
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:51 am

Two years on is this still the same?
HippyChick
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:43 am

jvwoodford wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:51 am
Two years on is this still the same?
Yup. The legislation hasn't changed re VAT treatment https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1994/23/section/21