Place for UK users to gather/trade/chat!

Regional Trading for International users and other types of group sales.
New threads require Moderator approval.
Forum rules
This area is for regional trading threads for international users and other types of group sales.

Before starting a thread in this area please send a message to the Global Moderators group with details and await approval.
DaleCooper
Art Expert

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:05 am

ianpotter wrote:
DaleCooper wrote:I ordered one as did my brother. Neither of us have received them yet. Customs tend to hold things up for ages here. I'm hoping that today or tomorrow is the lucky day(s).
I had to pay a £48 customs fee yesterday.
BOOOO!
Some you win, some you lose.
Wow! What was that on? The only thing I've ever paid is something from Nakatomi.
ianpotter
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:10 am

The Malleus Fairytale that I purchased from a member on here - shipped from the States. It was insured for the full amount so the value would have been declared on the parcel. I can't complain though. I'm sure I've paid far less import duty than I should have over the years.
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:15 am

It was definitely worth it for the Fairytale. I love that print.
this aggression will not stand, man.
DaleCooper
Art Expert

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:16 am

So, just after posting that, my bro had his Stout's arrive!

edit: mine just arrived too! Perfect condition (aside from one slight ding on the corner), no taxes. Hooray
ThierryHenry
Art Expert

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:10 am

Ireland/ Uk.... Count me in!!!

Gunners rule btw!!!
burndisneyland
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:27 am

From another thread...
burndisneyland wrote:Regarding UV glass.

Here in the UK everything I have has needed custom framing (due to none of the prints I put up being in international paper size and instead being US paper size) and even with normal glass some of my larger prints haven't been vastly less then that.

I want to go UV glass on my one Stout due to it being displayed in the front room which does get more light then where the others are displayed, but I think it might be a couple of months before I can find the cash.
So I have yet to go for UV glass/plexi on my frame jobs and have opted for plain glass, due to simply the cost of the frame vs. monetary value of the print within.

Anyone know of any cheap/budget means of obtaining UV glass/plexi or another route to framing prints in the UK to archival standards? It's always a bit annoying hearing about all the options available to those in the States.
RupertPupkin wrote: Be careful of EB, it can be very addictive and financially disastrous!
tornado
Art Enthusiast

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:41 am

I'm up in northern Scotland, more snow this morning!

Really pleased to see the Tim Doyle '"Werewolf" print drop on this side of the Atlantic; I've had mixed experiences with customs fees (sometimes I win, no fees on my Mondo Dracula variant recently), so it's nice not to worry.

Still waiting for my SW Stouts to arrive though...
roo
Art Expert

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:51 am

burndisneyland wrote:From another thread...

Here in the UK everything I have has needed custom framing (due to none of the prints I put up being in international paper size and instead being US paper size) and even with normal glass some of my larger prints haven't been vastly less then that.

I want to go UV glass on my one Stout due to it being displayed in the front room which does get more light then where the others are displayed, but I think it might be a couple of months before I can find the cash.
So I have yet to go for UV glass/plexi on my frame jobs and have opted for plain glass, due to simply the cost of the frame vs. monetary value of the print within.

Anyone know of any cheap/budget means of obtaining UV glass/plexi or another route to framing prints in the UK to archival standards? It's always a bit annoying hearing about all the options available to those in the States.
Look for a distributor for Evonik in the UK, actually i think they have a office in the UK,,, just order UV gallery by the sheet or just get them to cut it for you. Evonik is a german company and i can buy there stuff here in OZ for around 50pound a square metre cut to any size or just over 100pound a sheet Evonik recently bought the Acrylite brand as well.. :ziggi:
atomicdustbin
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:07 pm

In the UK too, missed out on the Star Wars prints from Tyler so going after the S/H market when I get a chance.
Set up a website after my movie poster collection moved into the Mondo releases then onto art prints. Had a go at commissioning them myself, not making money but it's keeps me busy.
Still have my old gig posters from back in the 90's the Cult one is very nice!
I think I've posted these before... but can't remember!
Craigy235
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:13 pm

I'm in Edinburgh and was just walking home and a branch fell on my head...its like a hurricane here!

That was something i'm always wary about is the customs tax that sometimes "surprises" you on a print. Have many ppl had bad experiences with this?

From a Man Utd Fan
Ashton
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:14 pm

burndisneyland wrote:From another thread...

I can supply you with framing stuff, and there are various different options you could choose.

You could buy lengths of moulding to cut and join yourself, or if you didn't fancy cutting it up, you could go for a chop service so that you join the frame yourself. Alternatively, you could order a bespoke sized frame which I would make and send to you.

We can offer various glazing options from regular float glass to museum.

Another option if you didn't want to frame a print yourself is that you could send it over and I would do the full job for you. I can create frame mock-ups in loads of different mount/frame combinations and email them to you so that you can see what your print would look like framed

There are 2500+ mouldings to choose from. Here is a link to the website, take a look around:

http://www.bramptonframing.com/

You could also have a look at the facebook page to see some pictures of previous framing jobs. You could also be our friend too which would be really lovely indeed!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brampton- ... 8093135201

Feel free to send me an email or PM, or give us a call if your feeling sociable and fancy a chat!

Cheers

James
urbanprowler
Art Enthusiast

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:19 pm

another UK monkeh here and pleased to see a fellow Neds fan!!
Craigy235
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:30 pm

:D
urbanprowler wrote:another UK monkeh here and pleased to see a fellow Neds fan!!
Craigy235
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:57 pm

olly moss drop on mondo now
ianpotter
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:12 pm

Craigy235 wrote:I'm in Edinburgh and was just walking home and a branch fell on my head...its like a hurricane here!

That was something i'm always wary about is the customs tax that sometimes "surprises" you on a print. Have many ppl had bad experiences with this?

From a Man Utd Fan
In my experience it's rare. I've only had to pay 3 times from the last 100 purchases

Once from a private sale
Once from Third Man Records
Once from G1988

All 6 Stout prints arrived safe and sound today. :D