Place for UK users to gather/trade/chat!

Regional Trading for International users and other types of group sales.
New threads require Moderator approval.
Forum rules
This area is for regional trading threads for international users and other types of group sales.

Before starting a thread in this area please send a message to the Global Moderators group with details and await approval.
AlanCampbell
Art Expert

Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:52 pm

xenmate wrote:Am I the only one here who doesn't get foils? They look super tacky to me. What's the fascination with them? I see them going for silly prices, I don't understand.

Not seen one up close, so maybe I'm missing something.
Shinny and low editions

i did a red mirror foil on my Macbeth print for Yuck print house, primarily because it was an experiment and if i was paying to get those prints made it would have covered the printing and paper costs of the full edition, they also instantly sold out which is obviously neat on the hype side of things.
LeeKaye
Art Expert

Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:30 am

Way to alienate the entire UK Xenmate! I was just about to set up a print house only releasing foil edition prints. Don't think I will bother now. :(

:lol:
deestar
Art Expert

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:26 am

LeeKaye wrote:Way to alienate the entire UK Xenmate! I was just about to set up a print house only releasing foil edition prints. Don't think I will bother now. :(

Foiled again. :D
xenmate
Art Expert

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:47 am

LeeKaye wrote:Way to alienate the entire UK Xenmate! I was just about to set up a print house only releasing foil edition prints. Don't think I will bother now. :(

Susan Foyle Editions?
philipanderson
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:17 am

xenmate wrote:Am I the only one here who doesn't get foils? They look super tacky to me. What's the fascination with them? I see them going for silly prices, I don't understand.

Not seen one up close, so maybe I'm missing something.
I think any of the special variants (foil, wood, metal) only work when the material in some way complements the subject matter.

I think Stout's metal Robocop is a good case in point because, well, Robocop is made of metal! Stout's metal drive is far less appealing. So a wood variant of The Lion The Witch & The Wardrobe would tick the box too because of that wooden wardrobe.

The Top Gun might have worked on a sheet of gun metal. The Terminator 2 might have worked on metal, but I am not sure about foil. Now a foil Boogie Nights could work because of the psychedelic nature of the subject matter.

And so on.
Chenley123
Art Expert

Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:29 am

Never mind mate. Baco to square one
Hellraiser
Art Expert

Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:37 am

I'm the same on foils. I have seen some EMEKS which look great on foil and I thought the Ansin Ghost in the Shell did also. I thought Andrew's Thing poster worked well on foil from pictures for the same reason as he says, gives it that cold look.

I haven't seen too many that have caught my eye that looked like they were enhanced by the foil.
fitz
Art Expert

Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:42 am

always looks a big gimmicky to me - like with comics in the late 80s and early 90s when they started bringing out special foil editions and then hologram editions to try and boost flagging sales and appeal to the collector market. it can work but only with very specific prints.

wood I am a bit cooler with as its a more traditional artists medium.
pking1601
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:14 am

I agree that it suits the right kind of print and can be gimmicky and detract from the image/print as a whole.
But then when you see this Emek print, in the flesh, you realise that it is absolutely perfect for that image.

And there are different variants of foil he used for the same image.
On standard white paper, the image maybe just wouldn't work as well

Again the churchy image and stained glass effect that the foil gives on this one works perfectly

Last edited by pking1601 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
xenmate
Art Expert

Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:17 am

pking1601 wrote:I agree that it suits the right kind of print and can be gimmicky and detract from the image/print as a whole.
But then when you see this Emek print, in the flesh, you realise that it is absolutely perfect for that image.

And there are different variants of foil he used for the same image.
On standard white paper, the image maybe just wouldn't work as well
You know I'm never going to be able to take anything you say seriously with that avatar. It could be the profoundest statement ever made in the history of mankind but in my head it will sound something like "sprog splunk sneesh derp drymounting".
pking1601
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:20 am

No one should ever take anything I say seriously.
im camera shy and it was the best photo I could find of myself.
xenmate
Art Expert

Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:49 am

pking1601 wrote:No one should ever take anything I say seriously.
im camera shy and it was the best photo I could find of myself.
it's a valiant effort
jpfondu
Art Expert

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:01 am

I quite liked the look of the Primus Wonka foil by Welker but the Gabz Topgun looked bleuughh.
gavgriff77
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:06 am

The only foil I own is the Francavilla Motel Hell (which hasn't arrived yet) but thought it was a great idea for the use of foil. To use the foil as part of an object in the design, in this case the cleaver
That Which Can Be Imagined Need Never Be Lost
LeeKaye
Art Expert

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:13 am

I have one foil. Using foils was not required as there is no tie in with the subject at all...BUT IT SHINES!!!

Q.E.D.