Place for UK users to gather/trade/chat!

Regional Trading for International users and other types of group sales.
New threads require Moderator approval.
Forum rules
This area is for regional trading threads for international users and other types of group sales.

Before starting a thread in this area please send a message to the Global Moderators group with details and await approval.
fitz
Art Expert

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:13 am

theaface wrote:My second lot of questions relates to Thought Bubble:

1. I see that it's a week long event - should I assume that the majority of the best/most popular stuff gets snapped up on the first day, or is there a fairly even spread throughout the week?
2. What are ticket prices typically like and when do they go on sale? Is the event itself fairly chaotic at opening, or do art shows tend to exhibit a bit more decorum?
3. Any other bits of advice to someone VERY new to the whole experience?!

Again, sorry for the question barrage, and many thanks for any pointers.
I very, very , very strongly suspect that last year was very much the exception rather than the rule - the reason it was so good/nuts last year was that Olly dropped the motherload, great prints and paprcuts which was the perfect storm - Jock also had some good new stuff and then there was Mondo there - this coming year I doubt that there will be a fraction of the quantity or quality of stuff available, especially as Olly is now working pretty much full time on the gaming stuff and there are no guarantees he is even going to be there at all.
dearmrecho
Art Expert

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:14 am

There's more to life than Olly Moss :)
fitz
Art Expert

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:23 am

dearmrecho wrote:There's more to life than Olly Moss :)
true but for most of us last year the reason we went was in large part a Moss/Mondo combo and if neither are going to be there this year (just what I suspect) it will make the weekend a lot less attractive unless you are big into comics (as I am).
dearmrecho
Art Expert

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:24 am

If Mondo weren't there then I'd be less likely to be it's true… certainly not at 6.00 in the morning.
Jaspar
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:27 am

I'm hoping for Durieux, Francavilla and Weston this year. They all live close enough that they could probably justify the trip even without Mondo. There's no reason to believe Jock wouldn't come back either? Yeah, maybe not 6:00 again though!
Enjoy the course, Andrew? Finish the print?
Benjames500
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:28 am

Urghhh if both Mondo and Moss don't make it I will be absolutely gutted tbh....Missed it last year as a result of living in Korea.

If those two definitely don't make it I just hope Jock, Durieux and maybe someone like Francavilla can make it over. Surely the organisers of TB know how big it is to try and attract some of the main poster talent?! Or is it really just more of a comic book thing....
fitz
Art Expert

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:34 am

Benjames500 wrote:is it really just more of a comic book thing....
yep - its a comic book thing first and foremost and posters a very distant second though they will no doubt have been pleased and slightly freaked out by the Mondo effect the last two years so if they can do something I am sure they will - as I am in Leeds I may offer them the benefit of my thoughts in this regard :)
dearmrecho
Art Expert

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:41 am

Jaspar wrote:I'm hoping for Durieux, Francavilla and Weston this year. They all live close enough that they could probably justify the trip even without Mondo. There's no reason to believe Jock wouldn't come back either? Yeah, maybe not 6:00 again though!
Yes I did thanks. It was good fun and I learn a load of stuff :)
I had some serious registration problems… my bench didn't suck much so I think my paper must have moved a few times.
Still I managed to get a couple of flawed but half decent prints out of it…
DSC_0337-2.jpg
Jaspar
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:53 am

dearmrecho wrote:
Jaspar wrote:I'm hoping for Durieux, Francavilla and Weston this year. They all live close enough that they could probably justify the trip even without Mondo. There's no reason to believe Jock wouldn't come back either? Yeah, maybe not 6:00 again though!
Yes I did thanks. It was good fun and I learn a load of stuff :)
I had some serious registration problems… my bench didn't suck much so I think my paper must have moved a few times.
Still I managed to get a couple of flawed but half decent prints out of it…
DSC_0337-2.jpg
Really nice!
Yeah, I had the same problem (maybe the same table!). Most of the time I had to carefully peel the paper off the screen, which was far from ideal. Still a great course, and I can sympathise with them regarding the equipment, they're really running on a shoestring.
jampar5000
Art Expert

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:54 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Love that Andrew!
LeeKaye wrote:I liked it, but I am trying to resist the lure of one more 'wafer thin print'
dearmrecho
Art Expert

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:55 am

I was on what was apparently a new table so Nick was nonplussed as to why it wasn't keeping the paper down.

Cheers jampar old bean. :)
KXG
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:23 am

Hey all,

Thought I'd offer this here before trying to sell in a separate thread.

Only looking to cover the original cost. So within the UK £50 (happy to arrange collection within London area) or £60 shipped.
LeeKaye
Art Expert

Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:28 am

Great deal. This is one of my very few buys this year and looks great in person.
FlammableD
Art Enthusiast

Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:36 am

Anyone have any experience buying from here: http://www.eframe.co.uk/content/html/cu ... o&md=start#_

Looking for some way to frame a few prints I have without bankrupting myself, they seem cheap enough, but what options should I be selecting? Is there anything missing from there that I should be having for prints?

Thanks all
fitz
Art Expert

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:01 pm

FlammableD wrote:Anyone have any experience buying from here: http://www.eframe.co.uk/content/html/cu ... o&md=start#_

Looking for some way to frame a few prints I have without bankrupting myself, they seem cheap enough, but what options should I be selecting? Is there anything missing from there that I should be having for prints?

Thanks all
I bought a frame and mounts from there and it was pretty good - the only thing they dont have is an option for any kind of UV resistant acrylic or glass, which is a shame.

if looking to frame a 24x36 print on the cheap you could buy a Fjallsta frame 70cmx100cm from Ikea for £25 then get your local framer to sort you out with a mounting board and a mount - should be able to do the whole thing for about £50 and they look very good (I have done two like that) - just no UV resistance so depends on how paranoid you are about that.