Place for UK users to gather/trade/chat!

Regional Trading for International users and other types of group sales.
New threads require Moderator approval.
Forum rules
This area is for regional trading threads for international users and other types of group sales.

Before starting a thread in this area please send a message to the Global Moderators group with details and await approval.
Hellraiser
Art Expert

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:49 am

Cheers dude. I'd love to know how to use illustrator etc to turn it in to a piece I could use as part of a poster.

I am guessing that an artist could draw a number of different characters etc individually and then place them into a composition, being able to move them about and resize at will.... I'd love to have the knowledge!
dearmrecho
Art Expert

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:15 pm

You don't necessarily have to convert it to a vector file - it depends what you want to do with it.
The first step is to get your artwork scanned at a high enough resolution so that you can enlarge it if you need to.
You can shunt/scale things in Photoshop (or presumably something similar) with other elements as long as you have it at a decent res. if you're more familiar with that type of software. If you know your way around Photoshop then Illustrator won't seem like a totally hostile environment.

Having said that I tried to do a version of my Dracula thingy in Illustrator - it's not the walk in the park that some people seem to think it is.
Hellraiser
Art Expert

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:33 pm

I did try and put it into Illustrator and then draw over it to try and create the graphic but I didn't have drymounting clue what I was doing!
dearmrecho
Art Expert

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:53 pm

If you put it in to Illustrator you can use the Live Trace feature to turn it to a vector outlines - but you would have to do a fair bit of fiddling with the anchor points to get it to look good I think. Live Trace results are usually quite rudimentary but they are a starting point.
Hellraiser
Art Expert

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:04 pm

I tried that but got confused!

I need to do some sort of workshop on it if I get the time!
Hellraiser
Art Expert

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:36 pm

I noticed a few of us are waiting for the Shaw Escape from New York print.

It's been a while coming.

I like what Death Waltz Records have been doing. They have some very cool artwork on the soundtracks they are selling.
dearmrecho
Art Expert

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:47 pm

Oh yes - I'd forgotten about that one still to arrive.

Have you tried Lynda.com Keith? They have good video tutorials to help get you into using all sorts of software. There used to be loads of free trial codes floating around for them but I haven't looked for a while.
EDIT - only seem to offer 7 day trials now... used to be able to get 30 days and sign up again with different email.
Hellraiser
Art Expert

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:57 pm

I'll check it out....although I am disappointed that Lynda.com is a software tutorial site
dearmrecho
Art Expert

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:58 pm

:D
fitz
Art Expert

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:46 pm

Hellraiser wrote:I did try and put it into Illustrator and then draw over it to try and create the graphic but I didn't have drymounting clue what I was doing!
I scanned in my pencil drawing then went over it freehand with my bamboo tablet (£40) using artrage - its funny you get art rage 2.0 free with the tablet which you can upgrade for £7 to artrage pro when art rage pro by itself (on steam) costs £44!

Hellraiser
Art Expert

Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:52 pm

So do you do that freehand on a tablet?
fitz
Art Expert

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:31 pm

Hellraiser wrote:So do you do that freehand on a tablet?
I drew the bit above with pencil on regular paper then scanned in it using the wife's printer as a jpeg, then used that as the bottom layer of my print and traced over it in "ink" then made the bottom layer invisible.
ianpotter
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:04 pm

Nice one fitz. Zhora looks well hung. :oops:
deestar
Art Expert

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:26 am

Just checking out the wanted list for Ollys reg LOTR, that list is huge (around 120 i think). :shock:
Hellraiser
Art Expert

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:51 am

All the talk of drawing and poster designing yesterday got me back at it again today :D

This was another idea I had for a Hellraiser poster - The puzzle box with pins coming out of it.

I think this idea (executed by a proper artist) would look amazing either on it's own as the centre of a poster (metallic gold and silver would make this incredible)or as part of a larger picture (I was thinking of using it as the reflection in Pinheads or Kirsty's eyes).

I have decided I am going to get a tablet for my birthday in March :D

Pic is work in progress and I need a metallic silver pen to finish the pins