Place for UK users to gather/trade/chat!

Regional Trading for International users and other types of group sales.
New threads require Moderator approval.
Forum rules
This area is for regional trading threads for international users and other types of group sales.

Before starting a thread in this area please send a message to the Global Moderators group with details and await approval.
jamesmassey1988
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:28 am

I've paid between $14 - $65 for shipping from the US. It is not cheap. Places like MONDO/Mark Englert are able to charge $25/$23 but only because of the volume they're shipping at a time. If you're buying a print in a private sale and you want it shipped properly - you're looking at about $40.
TWTTR - @masseyjh
INSTGRM - @jimmassey
:ziggi:
LeeKaye
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:30 am

jampar5000 wrote:To all the UK guys out there - how much would you expect shipping to be from the USA? I regularly get quoted either $20 (which is acceptable), but also get quoted $48 which also makes it unpalatable, especially if you get stung with customs as well? Any help appreciated for the noob here.

Least I have paid is $15 and upper end is $50. I don't pay 50 for prints that cost less than that, it just feels pointless. So I don't know what a 'correct' amount should be...are we talking tracked/insured etc.? I know they have a big choice of companies over there as well.
LeeKaye
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:33 am

jamesmassey1988 wrote:I've paid between $14 - $65 for shipping from the US. It is not cheap. Places like MONDO/Mark Englert are able to charge $25/$23 but only because of the volume they're shipping at a time. If you're buying a print in a private sale and you want it shipped properly - you're looking at about $40.

Yeah, 40 feels about right. Don't skimp too much. I had a print from an artist disappear which had no tracking and it's a print that is extremely rare, and now very expensive. It was literally the worst print to go missing. Ah well.
dearmrecho
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:48 am

jampar5000 wrote:To all the UK guys out there - how much would you expect shipping to be from the USA? I regularly get quoted either $20 (which is acceptable), but also get quoted $48 which also makes it unpalatable, especially if you get stung with customs as well? Any help appreciated for the noob here.
For a standard Mondo size tube I'd expect to pay around $15 - that's First Class International Parcel - no tracking, no insurance so some element of risk - but so far, touch wood, I've never had a problem with that and I've a couple of $100+ items sent that way. But there is a sudden jump in price for sending to the UK once a tube gets beyond a certain size and weight and they have to use another service that starts in the $40s... I'm assuming there's some tracking and insurance included in that. I understand that up until recently there was a service that gave some insurance that gost around $25 but that has been withdrawn.

I've got a print at Poster Mountain at the moment and I was banking on them being able to ship it back to me for around $17 but the PVC tube they use is robust and therefore weighty and has to go via the more expensive service more than doubling the cost.
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:54 am

jamesmassey1988 wrote:I've paid between $14 - $65 for shipping from the US. It is not cheap. Places like MONDO/Mark Englert are able to charge $25/$23 but only because of the volume they're shipping at a time. If you're buying a print in a private sale and you want it shipped properly - you're looking at about $40.
I may disagree there James , , when you say "properly" you mean paypal protected , and this i cant disagree with..

However its crazy of us here to need to do things "properly" for a $40 poster?? ...$40 is what? ...£26 -£28?

On the RARE occasions that a $40 poster goes missing/delivered destroyed i can suck that cost up in lieu of the HUNDREADS of dollars i save by accepting the risk and requesting it be sent via normal airmail for a cost of $15-$18 uninsured

Im saving myself at least $20 a time in postage fees alone each time ....and that doesnt factor in the added customs charges that then gets added not just to a $40 poster but to a total cost of $80-$90 ($40 poster cost & $40-$50 p&p) because they count the cost of the postage fees as well when they tally up what the poster is "worth" when its imported into the country..PLUS the ebiquitous £8 "handeling" fees

Suddenly a £25 poster buy has cost me £50-£60 before its in my portfolio! ....nah , id much rather take a risk on a rare lost poster that keep on paying these stupid prices for p&p for a £20-£25 item.

Now, if the poster is of a £100 value its a diffrent matter.....
bert
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:01 am

dearmrecho wrote:For a standard Mondo size tube I'd expect to pay around $15 - that's First Class International Parcel - no tracking, no insurance so some element of risk - but so far, touch wood, I've never had a problem with that and I've a couple of $100+ items sent that way. But there is a sudden jump in price for sending to the UK once a tube gets beyond a certain size and weight and they have to use another service that starts in the $40s... I'm assuming there's some tracking and insurance included in that.
I agree with that - I buy one sheets from a guy on ebay who ships to the UK for $11 in a strong tube, no tracking and insurance but who cares on a cheap replaceable poster. I think at the higher end you get

- Priority Mail International - https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail ... tional.htm
- Global Express - https://www.usps.com/ship/gxg.htm

I buy film posters from a company that bundles them up and sends them out to me in one tube. If I have 8 or 9 one sheets in that tube (which is big and bombproof), global express is about $50 - $60 and is very fast. Priority mail seems to be about $10 cheaper approximately and is also pretty quick.
jampar5000
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:09 am

Thanks for all of the responses guys. Perhaps we need a US PB to collect all of our purchases, and then amalgamate into one tube to make the $40 worth it. crazy to be so expensive - I am yet to ship to the US, but how much are we charged for that with tracking? I read somewhere you can have it done for £10 by royal mail international tracked?
LeeKaye wrote:I liked it, but I am trying to resist the lure of one more 'wafer thin print'
dearmrecho
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:12 am

I sent my Ken Taylor 20,000 Leagues to the USA earlier in the week using International signed for which includes (I think) £250 insurance... cost was £19.20ish.
scobro13
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:10 am

Most I'd ever pay is $30 shipping, usually manage $25 off eBay with no tracking and insurance with the prints valued at $20 to avoid customs. Generally thru eBay I find they automatically quote Priority Mail, and is around $40, but generally ask the seller to do First Class and its much more reasonable.

Been doing it for about 3 years and only one has ever gone astray but it was pretty cheapo so no worries. Mr Kevin Tong ships from his site at like $12 internationally which gives the rest of the yanks a bad name.

For my order off Blunt Graffix I was charged about $25 but it came marked at having cost them $40 to send, haha.

G1988 are the biggest rip, I'd rather buy off a scalper/flipper than pay $40 shipping for two prints worth $60 or whatever. Spoke Art are generally reasonable. Or else buy from somebody in the UK, Dark City Gallery are the bomb.
dearmrecho
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:20 am

Not sure how Tong manages it for that price actually once you factor in the cost of a tube... or maybe he just takes that in to the cost of the print.
adamrworsell
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:27 am

It also depends on who your seller is shipping with, USPS FedEx etc.... If you don't feel comfortable with a price, don't pay it. I guess it just depends on the value of the print $ Andrew much you want the print. But hey we're getting distracted here guys....

Moss Four Lions, somebody help a fella out!

:pint:
Chenley123
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:02 am

That will have a tracking number and insurence I'd think. That way the seller doesn't get cheated out of there (hard earned secondary market) cash
Chenley123
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:06 pm

How's it hanging muchachos?

I'm going to bring this up...again. I'm on with my weight bag, got a couple of filling in mind, baking beans or shot weight (used by fisherman and scuba drivers alike). Any comments, was going to bag them, heat seal, and then acid free cloth them. 1.2kg of baking beans is £10 Stirling. Didnt think that was too bad. Plus I don't think they'll go off
jampar5000
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:10 pm

thanks all, some interesting info. would you buy from another eb member using the Paypal Gift method for an untracked item? (ie so you cannot get your money back if the poster never arrives?). I agree on the tracking/postage if the value is high, and not to bother when the value is low. Thanks for the tip on Dark City - I will keep an eye on them for sure - pricing is very nice indeed compared to some of the other galleries out there. There is a gallery in Greenwich market selling Alien corset prints for £150 per print (unframed) - nice work if you can get it! Kinda fair enough - he does have to pay staffing/rent etc.
@ bert - which company do you buy the posters from?
LeeKaye wrote:I liked it, but I am trying to resist the lure of one more 'wafer thin print'
Chenley123
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:17 pm

jampar5000 wrote:thanks all, some interesting info. would you buy from another eb member using the Paypal Gift method for an untracked item? (ie so you cannot get your money back if the poster never arrives?). I agree on the tracking/postage if the value is high, and not to bother when the value is low. Thanks for the tip on Dark City - I will keep an eye on them for sure - pricing is very nice indeed compared to some of the other galleries out there. There is a gallery in Greenwich market selling Alien corset prints for £150 per print (unframed) - nice work if you can get it! Kinda fair enough - he does have to pay staffing/rent etc.
@ bert - which company do you buy the posters from?
I don't like that shop, great prints...rude people, not even a hello! What happened to customer serve, you don't have to try and sell everything but talking to customers (or making eye contact at any point apart from when I hand my money over) would be nice; I was in there for an hour! Don't mean to sound moanie, just bugged me