Place for UK users to gather/trade/chat!

Regional Trading for International users and other types of group sales.
New threads require Moderator approval.
Forum rules
This area is for regional trading threads for international users and other types of group sales.

Before starting a thread in this area please send a message to the Global Moderators group with details and await approval.
dearmrecho
Art Expert

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:54 am

I get what you're saying about the DVD cover thing Chenley - I suppose it's only one step away from the floaty head thing that the studios have decided is the only way to produce a poster over the last 10 -15 years which is what a lot of this art was a reaction against in the first place. I think that's one of the reasons why I'm drawn to Mark Englert's work but a multi character piece can still be appealing if executed well.

Yes - the Hulk is great - of the three Avengers prints I've had it's the only one I've kept.
philipanderson
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:57 am

Loved this when I first saw it and I managed to get one last night.

I'm reserving final judgment until it arrives of course....
Chenley123
Art Expert

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:25 am

dearmrecho wrote:I get what you're saying about the DVD cover thing Chenley - I suppose it's only one step away from the floaty head thing that the studios have decided is the only way to produce a poster over the last 10 -15 years which is what a lot of this art was a reaction against in the first place. I think that's one of the reasons why I'm drawn to Mark Englert's work but a multi character piece can still be appealing if executed well.

Yes - the Hulk is great - of the three Avengers prints I've had it's the only one I've kept.
I do like the Hulk but I went for Thor...that action pose...because he's at that point where the 'bad guy' is thinking 'piss...we're for it now'. Like you said, the likes of hellboy II are good examples. I just said to bert that very thing, Englert and danger grab me at the moment, setting that scene. Ortiz too, Goonies and fantastic Mr. Fox, elements of the films the fans would pick up on
atomicdustbin
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:28 am

My Moss DKR landed yesterday.
Before opening the tube I heard a slip of, what sounded like, golden paper moving from end to end while I rotated the tube.
I unwrapped very carefully, for the lid was still attached (thanks Mr Postman, see you can do it, there's really no need to jump on it before it leaves the sorting office) hoping to see that flash of golden goodness, sounds a bit like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
And to my surprise :shock: ...

... it was just the receipt. Well not really a surprise, but I was a little excited for a few seconds before opening it.
Numbered in the 5000's, thankfully it is one on the good ones :)

While I'm here, what's the consensus on print sizes? Is 18 x 24 preferred these days to 24 x 36?
Just about to get one printed and I don't know what size to go for :?
DaleCooper
Art Expert

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:39 am

I'd just go for what suits the design. I guess that's why Olly Moss has smaller prints and Stout has larger ones.
Chenley123
Art Expert

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:48 am

I think it on the subject. Some would look silly too big, like wasted space almost. The only 'biggie' I have so far is Thor which wouldn't look so mighty on a smaller scale I feel

It's good to hear someone getting a decent TDKR too...would you have broken in to song if it had been in there, running the street singing 'I've got a golden ticket...'?
dearmrecho
Art Expert

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:21 am

atomicdustbin wrote:While I'm here, what's the consensus on print sizes? Is 18 x 24 preferred these days to 24 x 36?
Just about to get one printed and I don't know what size to go for :?
As above, see what suits the artwork - it might be worthwhile getting a cheap digital print done at both sizes so you can get an accurate idea of what works best. It's quite cool to have large prints but not everything works at that size - personally I thought the Durieux Iron Giant, beautiful as it is, could have been smaller - though then it might not have suitable for screen printing. Also the practicalities of limited wall space can make smaller sizes more appealing.
rocker
Art Expert

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:25 pm

Someone tell 1nkling to check his inbox :pint:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/posterbuddies/
Facebook group for chatting about prints
1nkling
Site Admin

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:30 pm

rocker wrote:Someone tell 1nkling to check his inbox :pint:
You have a reply.. :notworthy:
My up to date trades and ISOs.
Chenley123
Art Expert

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:52 pm

Typical...mondo does a drop when I'm finally free all day and nothing I want! Damn it!
battleroyale
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:28 pm

Chenley123 wrote:Typical...mondo does a drop when I'm finally free all day and nothing I want! Damn it!
exactly the same here
Chenley123
Art Expert

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:02 pm

Nevermind! Next time...still not managed to get a mondo print as yet. Hopefully there'll be another drop next week!
jampar5000
Art Expert

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:25 am

What's the general opinion been on Mondo's recent drops? I have felt it is a little uninspired compared to previous years? there are some standouts, but nothing I would rush to put up on the wall...
LeeKaye wrote:I liked it, but I am trying to resist the lure of one more 'wafer thin print'
DaleCooper
Art Expert

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:42 am

Not as strong as previous months but I'm cool with that. It's good that they can release posters for smaller films and more cult releases as well as the big blockbusters and highly sought after prints.

The more you collect the more you learn to appreciate these lulls!
Chenley123
Art Expert

Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:32 am

I don't know if you'd call it hit or miss, or just not to my taste; I would like some slightly smarter images though (if that makes sense). I loved 'The Goonies' print and hope to pick it up, and Whalen's always look good (he just needs to get round to doing a film I like. I think it's good to see a variety of blockbusters aswell as cults/independents. I think the shear amount of drops is what has surprised me.

Has anyone thought about doing the franchise here in the UK?