Place for UK users to gather/trade/chat!

Regional Trading for International users and other types of group sales.
New threads require Moderator approval.
Forum rules
This area is for regional trading threads for international users and other types of group sales.

Before starting a thread in this area please send a message to the Global Moderators group with details and await approval.
Stingers
Art Expert

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:25 pm

I have , countless times. As long as the tube is solid and the return and recipient address are clear you should be fine.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:39 pm

Stingers wrote:I have , countless times. As long as the tube is solid and the return and recipient address are clear you should be fine.
thanks Stingers- I wasn't sure if the size was too large (its a standard print- regular tube, nothing huge) from what I read on the postal site.
jonkino
Art Connoisseur

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:22 pm

Grateful69Phish wrote:UK'rs- got a question

Any of you ever received a package from the states 1st class international = $15 postage.

Not sure if a tube can be shipped that way- wanting to assist one of your fellow countryman.

Any input would be appreciated- its a low value print, no reason for them to pay more in shipping than the price of the print so I'm trying to find the cheapest method.

Thanks
Lots of times. Yes it can be shipped like that though it is obviously not trackable. But I had two arrive at mine last week on that service. One took a record 5 days (quicker than priority mail international on this occassion), one took 10 days, and I'm still waiting for two others after 2 weeks. Delivery can vary - ask your seller to make sure they are in a strong tube = not a shitty one that could get damaged as you have no comeback shipping that way - but you can't add insurance but then I guess if you want to ship economy, you won't be wanting insurance.

That's a risk you take. So far in almost 2 years, I have only had two shipments damaged (touch wood). One the seller replaced for me, the other wouldn't as he sent it that way at my risk (agreed) - but the damage wasn't bad at all. I think the saving you make on importation taxes this way (with minimum value on the tube) is personally worth the risk, especially if you buy a lot of stuff from the states.
Last edited by jonkino on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonkino
Art Connoisseur

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:31 pm

DaleCooper wrote:What do you do if you've bought a print for £500+ though? You need them to insure it for that value as it's not worth risking... that's when you get stung.
Yes well, for expensive prints, you are right. It is a big risk. So you have to weigh up whether saving £100 in import tax/vat (which is what you would pay on a $500 print) is worth the risk, but be sure to send it via a trackable service - Global Priority Mail INternational - or something like that. Incidently, I risked it once with a $400 Tod Slater print and it arrived safely (no insurance / low value of $25 = no tax). But I can tell you, I was panicking for some 2 weeks waiting for it to arrive.

Another trick I tried once with an expensive package. I had it marked up at $380 (value of several prints in tube), sent no insurance, but I had seller mark up the print, "for return after use, on temporary loan". It didn't get past customs (paid £90 on it), but I complained to Customs and explained the artwork was on loan (as marked on the documents on the tube), and they refunded my money. Off course I couldn't guarantee that is a foolproof way to send them.
michaelkherdian
Art Enthusiast

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:09 am

Hey guys, check out "Trades" page, I tried to load them up on here but didn't have the skills. Am trying to raise funds for a print I've been after a while, so any offers considered. I live in London so local pickup is possible as well as comparatively cheap (when compared to the states) postage. Any reasonablish offers considered, am happy to part with slightly cheap as need the doe.

Cheers,

Michael
djdrever
Art Connoisseur

Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:15 am

jonkino wrote:Can't understand why you guys keep getting charges. Just ask your seller to put under $25 on the customs doc. Will save you lots over the year. IT's worth the risk than pay those bastards extra tax - doesn't this country get enough tax of us in everything else we buy / do. Stuff um!
Is it "extra" tax? If you bought the print in the UK, you'd have to pay the VAT on it, it would just be more or less invisible as it'd be rolled up into the price. So it's just the tax they would normally collect...

As tax on original and limited edition art (including prints) is supposed to be at a lower level than "Other" VAT (maybe 5% instead of 20% ?) you should be able to claim the difference back. Advice I received from the Borders agency was to send them:
  • The letter advising charges were due
    The note on the parcel advising charges were due
    A description of what you bought
    A receipt for the work
...and they should be able to take it from there. May take ages, but you should get something back. I've yet to put it to the test, but I have been collecting all the above from the last few things that I was charged extra for.

dd
scobro13
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:37 pm

If anybody is interested i have one Joshu Budich Pulp Fiction print that i got from Spoke Art during their QvC shows.

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/136603

I'd be happy with £50 shipped within the EU. Or offers.
fotbh
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:23 am

With regards to VAT and customs charges this post on the banksyforums answered a lot of my questions:

http://banksyforum.proboards.com/index. ... read=17538
Gavatron
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:25 am

Cheers for the link.

What couriers would you guys recommend for shipping a) from UK to the USA and b) shipping from USA to UK ?
DaleCooper
Art Expert

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:30 am

Got stung £70 for two prints this week. Urgh.

Worst thing is, one of them was completely damaged. It was insured but where do I stand on customs charges? Can I claim them back or do I have to eat up £35 on a print that is totally broked?
Gavatron
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:32 am

You'll be down some cash but you should be able to appeal against the charges and get them down to 5% as discussed in the previous posts. Not sure but you could try and include the taxes in the compensation claim.
Stingers
Art Expert

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:48 am

You can only claim 5% on certain prints, not all .
In regards to the damaged print I think the best you can hope for is keeping all the details so that if you get the item replaced, you can show you've already paid the duty once already .
DaleCooper
Art Expert

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:10 am

Yeah unfortunately it's a 4 year old Stout Warriors so there won't be a replacement coming :(
pking1601
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:21 am

When I paid a customs charge on a damaged print which I returned to the seller, I got my VAT charge refunded in full. You can't get a refund on the shitty £8/£13.50 Parcelforce Charge unfortunately. All I had to do was provide them with evidence of the item being returned. No quibbles at all!
fotbh
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:18 am

I'll be trying to get back a large chunk of the customs fee I paid yesterday (£75) on a Geddes print that came from the states. Its a giclee so it probably shouldn't fall under the 5% tax category, but I'll certainly be trying regardless. I'll let you all know once I hear back.