Game of Thrones

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
HisBobness
Art Expert

Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:56 pm

Time to buy all GoT art prints. This show aint goin anywhere and will only get more popular. HYPE FLIP HYPE!
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:18 pm

ToolFanFromWayBack wrote:
Timbrh2001 wrote:
Codeblue wrote:Pretty crazy considering most people are either watching illegally or on shared HBO Go accounts.
Yeah you aren't kidding. I remember during the first couple seasons fans were nervous that GoT would get cancelled because it was too expensive a production. Hahahahaha.
I think that's what got Deadwood, so it wasn't too far fetched. I am really psyched to see what they can do to top that last episode.
Kinda meant it's funny looking back now due to it's insane popularity that cancellation could have been a reality at one point.
Particle
Art Expert

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:06 pm

I've always been kind of dumbfounded by HBO's business model. They don't have advertisers so the better the show and the more viewers convert into more HBO subscriptions I suppose right? Doesn't seem like it would work the same though, Unless they get more money from the cable providers based on how much the subscribers use the Premium Channel.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:08 pm

They make a fudge ton on blu ray and what not too.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:18 pm

Particle wrote:I've always been kind of dumbfounded by HBO's business model. They don't have advertisers so the better the show and the more viewers convert into more HBO subscriptions I suppose right? Doesn't seem like it would work the same though, Unless they get more money from the cable providers based on how much the subscribers use the Premium Channel.
What Blue said about disc sales...plus they make fortunes licensing the show to international providers. Here are all the current licensees...if each of them pays a few million, and they do, HBO is making money just to rent out their own product, with future syndication and disc sales just the gravy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones#Broadcast
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:39 pm

mistersmith wrote:
Particle wrote:I've always been kind of dumbfounded by HBO's business model. They don't have advertisers so the better the show and the more viewers convert into more HBO subscriptions I suppose right? Doesn't seem like it would work the same though, Unless they get more money from the cable providers based on how much the subscribers use the Premium Channel.
What Blue said about disc sales...plus they make fortunes licensing the show to international providers. Here are all the current licensees...if each of them pays a few million, and they do, HBO is making money just to rent out their own product, with future syndication and disc sales just the gravy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones#Broadcast
I like the bit about China removing sex and violence from their broadcasts. Removing those from the show basically leaves 15-20 minutes - most of which is people walking from one place to another.
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
mrkyuss
Art God

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:45 pm

My friends Mrs work for HBO. I'm still trying to get cast as an extra for GOT....
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
MatchsMalone
Art Expert

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:46 pm

They probably also benefit from the deal they worked out where they are "bundled". I.e., you know how you can't just call up your provider and say "I'd like to add one channel to my subscription please, HBO", they'll make you subscribe to a premium package with a bunch of other crap you don't want. I would imagine that HBO gets a larger chunk of that pie for having more viewers. And yeah, the syndication and blu-ray sales down the line are probably pretty good. Eventually they'll probably make Amazon or someone pay a buttload for the rights to show it.
Because it's the print we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So we'll hunt it.

Let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:47 pm

mrkyuss wrote:My friends Mrs work for HBO. I'm still trying to get cast as an extra for GOT....
Not good enough wang for a starring role huh?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:49 pm

Obey Giant Wang

Last edited by Timbrh2001 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrkyuss
Art God

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:49 pm

Codeblue wrote:
mrkyuss wrote:My friends Mrs work for HBO. I'm still trying to get cast as an extra for GOT....
Not good enough wang for a starring role huh?
I look a bit similar to Snow, but with a more manly rig.

Would have been good as Dragon Mothers dude.
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:08 pm

A couple nuggets, no spoilers of course (unless you wanted to be surprised that the show was picked up for its 5th and 6th seasons).

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/06/15/ar ... &referrer=
ksn
Art Expert

Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:57 am

What I don't understand is why they don't allow HBO GO as its own pay service for those of us who don't have cable. Right now, the only option short of buying a TV and signing up for cable service is pirating or using someone else's account or pirating.
MatchsMalone
Art Expert

Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:12 am

ksn wrote:
What I don't understand is why they don't allow HBO GO as its own pay service for those of us who don't have cable. Right now, the only option short of buying a TV and signing up for cable service is pirating or using someone else's account or pirating.
I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that would totally screw over Comcast, Directv, Tw, etc by allowing them to be bypassed completely.
Because it's the print we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So we'll hunt it.

Let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet.
schmoff
Art Expert

Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:29 am

HBO is working on a pay per show and or HBO as its own stand alone service