Game of Thrones

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
Philpenn
Art Expert

Mon May 06, 2019 4:51 pm

Grown dragons' scales should have deflected the bolts. Only 1 or 2 Targaryen dragons died in such fashion, and that was because they were hit straight in the eye. Then again, those bolts did explode war galleys as if they were tomahawk missiles.
Thinker
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 06, 2019 5:03 pm

Agree that sexualizing Arya and Brienne's characters were terrible moves. REALLY terrible moves.

A lot of the issues with the show can be blamed on the showrunner's need to wrap the show up in X amount of time. And I forgive most of it. That is not their fault, it is not simply a decision they make to end a show when they end it, a lot of outside factors they have no control over.

Sexualizing their characters though.... Just totally unnecessary.

Complaining about the the science of what metal Dragon Scales can and can not deflect though - like - relax.
michaelmillichamp
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 07, 2019 2:24 pm

Philpenn wrote:Grown dragons' scales should have deflected the bolts. Only 1 or 2 Targaryen dragons died in such fashion, and that was because they were hit straight in the eye. Then again, those bolts did explode war galleys as if they were tomahawk missiles.
I read somewhere that they have to be like 100 years old to get the super dope scales. These lil dudes are only like 8.
finneganm
Art Freak

Tue May 07, 2019 2:39 pm

It’s science
That's what she said
michaelmillichamp
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 07, 2019 2:48 pm

Codeblue wrote:Snow. Duh. So much for Thinker amirite.
southerngarden
Art Expert

Tue May 07, 2019 3:04 pm

the whole show really is falling apart and being compressed for the finish

my two biggest gripes with the last episode:

1) if you're on a dragon 2500ft in the air then there is no way you miss seeing a fleet of boats on the water...it just doest make sense that Euron's whole fleet could sneak up on them like that. AND even if they somehow did manage to kill that one dragon with these magical giant crossbows, she's FLYING on a FREAKING DRAGON! she could of easily out maneuvered the ships until she was behind the fleet and then burnt them all to fudge! just stupid story telling is all I see...which leads me to gripe 2...

2) IF youre Milesdre (sp? whatever: the chick in love with the unsullied leader) and you are standing on the edge of a castle wall about to get your head chopped off why don't you just grab Cersei and leap off the wall with her? Cersei even comes up to her and grabs her by the arm and whispers in her ear for shits sake! take one for the damn team, grab that bitch and jump! done, end of war. but no, she just stands there and waits to be beheaded? WTF!?

I was hanging on until that last episode but fudge just fell apart...like people are saying these journeys used to take months now they are just blips in time. Cersei and her giant crossbows should of had to deal with the dead and the "night king" in some fashion. it just isn't as good past seasons...
MooseThompson
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 07, 2019 4:34 pm

southerngarden wrote:the whole show really is falling apart and being compressed for the finish

my two biggest gripes with the last episode:

1) if you're on a dragon 2500ft in the air then there is no way you miss seeing a fleet of boats on the water...it just doest make sense that Euron's whole fleet could sneak up on them like that. AND even if they somehow did manage to kill that one dragon with these magical giant crossbows, she's FLYING on a FREAKING DRAGON! she could of easily out maneuvered the ships until she was behind the fleet and then burnt them all to fudge! just stupid story telling is all I see...which leads me to gripe 2...

2) IF youre Milesdre (sp? whatever: the chick in love with the unsullied leader) and you are standing on the edge of a castle wall about to get your head chopped off why don't you just grab Cersei and leap off the wall with her? Cersei even comes up to her and grabs her by the arm and whispers in her ear for shits sake! take one for the damn team, grab that bitch and jump! done, end of war. but no, she just stands there and waits to be beheaded? WTF!?

I was hanging on until that last episode but fudge just fell apart...like people are saying these journeys used to take months now they are just blips in time. Cersei and her giant crossbows should of had to deal with the dead and the "night king" in some fashion. it just isn't as good past seasons...
If she goes for Cersei and misses all of her friends and her queen get massacred. Hell, even if she manages to take out Cersei she still gets everyone killed.

I agree the writing has fallen off, but I also think it's currently very popular to be over critical. The first two episodes everyone was upset because they were so slow. Now episodes 3 and 4 were too fast. Still looking for the Goldylocks episode I guess.
jjbehren
Flipper

Tue May 07, 2019 8:31 pm

MooseThompson wrote:...but I also think it's currently very popular to be over critical. The first two episodes everyone was upset because they were so slow. Now episodes 3 and 4 were too fast. Still looking for the Goldylocks episode I guess.
It's popular because the show's storytelling is bad now, not because it's the popular thing to do. The show's atmosphere used to draw me in and keep me there. It felt "real" (as real as a fantasy show can feel) and immersive. The tone was cold and dark and earnest in a way that made me care about every word that was spoken. I used to care when a character died. Not anymore. It started to go downhill in Season 5, The Sons of the Harpy story line was not good and that fight scene at the Colosseum at the end of that season was ridiculous. But Season 7 was a train wreck, from the Westeros allstars' trip north of the wall and the suspension of disbelief required during that fight with the White Walkers where they got trapped on that island to the trip south to Kings Landing, it was all not good.

The show feels like as it got more popular they had to dumb it way down for the average viewer.
ImageImageImageImageImage
mtarail
Art Expert

Wed May 08, 2019 3:17 am

jjbehren wrote:
The show feels like as it got more popular they had to dumb it way down for the average viewer.
Prolly true. That and the fact that the show is far beyond the point now of being able to rely on the books for source material. I'd like to say that the show's problems with insanely compressed story lines will be largely resolved in the books, but that would require me to believe GRRM completes them.
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Wed May 08, 2019 8:34 am

jjbehren wrote:
MooseThompson wrote:...but I also think it's currently very popular to be over critical. The first two episodes everyone was upset because they were so slow. Now episodes 3 and 4 were too fast. Still looking for the Goldylocks episode I guess.
It's popular because the show's storytelling is bad now, not because it's the popular thing to do. The show's atmosphere used to draw me in and keep me there. It felt "real" (as real as a fantasy show can feel) and immersive. The tone was cold and dark and earnest in a way that made me care about every word that was spoken. I used to care when a character died. Not anymore. It started to go downhill in Season 5, The Sons of the Harpy story line was not good and that fight scene at the Colosseum at the end of that season was ridiculous. But Season 7 was a train wreck, from the Westeros allstars' trip north of the wall and the suspension of disbelief required during that fight with the White Walkers where they got trapped on that island to the trip south to Kings Landing, it was all not good.

I'm trying to not be cynical either but I feel this way too - maybe because its just so damn popular now that its peaking in the finale, but the whole "who is going to sit on the iron throne/who is going to die" betting pools and speculation is making it feel like a Sunday night sporting event vs a good enjoyable show.

I could literally care less who lives and dies, the payoff of GoT has always been the quality of how events unfold
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
Philpenn
Art Expert

Wed May 08, 2019 9:51 am

Show has always been kind of dumbed down though. Tons of awesome characters and storylines left out because they thought the average viewer wouldn't be able to keep up. They even changed Theon's sister from Asha to Yara because they figured we would confuse her with the Wildling Osha.
cotis
Art Expert

Wed May 08, 2019 9:56 am

loads of spoilers out there for the last 2 episodes. had it ruined for me in a random reddit thread this morning. so be careful.

i
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Wed May 08, 2019 10:07 am

cotis wrote:loads of spoilers out there for the last 2 episodes. had it ruined for me in a random reddit thread this morning. so be careful.

i
Same. It is what it is though, still excited to see it unfold regardless of spoilers.
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
Thinker
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 08, 2019 10:48 am

The episodes get leaked or something, how do people know what happens?
Thinker
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 08, 2019 10:54 am

Philpenn wrote:Show has always been kind of dumbed down though. Tons of awesome characters and storylines left out because they thought the average viewer wouldn't be able to keep up.
No. Because a TV show is vastly different from a book and if you were to cover everything the book covers it would require a crazy amount of episodes, an impractical amount of money, and the actors would age faster than their characters, the latter of which they walked a fine line with as it is.

Philpenn wrote:They even changed Theon's sister from Asha to Yara because they figured we would confuse her with the Wildling Osha.
That makes total sense to me in a medium where you hear it spoken and rather one where you read it. This happens a lot.