Game of Thrones

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
southerngarden
Art Expert

Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:49 pm

first episode to take place entirely in one castle?
great stuff don't get me wrong, but with such a short season this one seemed like kinda a rooster tease. I get it, some fudge had to be cleared up, said, and Arya has tits, but a little bit of dragons and blood woulda been nice. especially with just 4 episodes left.
RadioactiveToy
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:44 pm

You'll get your fill of that next episode, and probably Episode 5, if who is directing is any indication.
This was all setup, make you have "the feels" for all the people there and bonding until next episode when they get their asses handed to them and 50% of them die, or so.
toobs
Art Expert

Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:13 am

Next weekend is gunna be tuff between watching the next GoT and End Game, a sh¡t ton of my fave fictional characters are gunna get murked
Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.
middayshadows
Art Expert

Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:27 am

Man. Loved it. Brienne and Jaime, I couldnt keep it together.

By the way episode title was "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms," which is perfect. Has another layer or two of meaning for book readers.

So many scenes played as "last words before character dies in battle." If all of Grey Worm, Pod and Jorah survive past next episode I'd be truly amazed. And as for Theon, 'twas nice knowing ya.
Image Image
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:27 am

earlgreytoast wrote:Best. Episode. Ever.
Luls.

P.S. Now that the 2 filler eps of the season are out of the way, let's get it on and poppin.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:08 am

I’m hungover but stand by my statement. :lol: Great episode to drink to as well, everyone had a round or 2! :pint:

Arya should have drymounted the Hound instead of Gendry - then she wouldn’t have had that bored look on her face when it was done. A girl has no hymen.

There were holes of course, like where did all this love between Sansa and Theon come from? Can’t remember any scenes from earlier episodes where they established anything like what was shown in this episode. And why couldn’t you see the Hound and Beric’s breath in that outside scene? They should have spent the extra $1200 to add that in - little fudge like that bothers me. If you’re going to make such a big point about how cold it is during the fireside chat scene, then emphasize it elsewhere. Nit-picky I know.

If Brienne’s first smile of the series didn’t melt your heart, you may be a white walker.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:28 am

Not a huge fan of the direction of the show, post-source material.
Also, everyone from a vast world now in this escape room setting in winterfell? Zzz.

Each scene feels convoluted and forced, like they are filming inside an action figure carrying case.
Most of last nights ep was ultimately not necessary based on where it is all leading anyway.

I'll watch to enjoy Sam taking the throne as directed by Jon before the dragon fries him.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:01 am

wonkabars7 wrote:Not a huge fan of the direction of the show, post-source material.
Dialogue seems to be the major weakness, imo.

Really didn't care for last night's episode. Had some good moments, but also had some major cringe moments.
Thinker
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:33 am

The knighting of Brienne alone made the episode.

The talk in the god's wood between jaime and bran was also great.

One of my favorite moments as well was the war room, where Bran talked to to them and explained what the Night King wants and all the biggest players of the show just reacted like - fudge - this goes so far beyond their understanding.

People at work calling the episode boring. Everyone wants every episode to be the battle of Bastards now. The Battle episodes would never be half as good if it wasn't for episodes just like this. So far the first 2 episodes of the season are just what I expected, better even, and I'm ready for the floodgates of awesomeness to open with Episode 3.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:39 am

I thought the "strategy" session was especially cringeworthy, and perhaps it was just to show how completely unprepared they are.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:45 am

I think it's due to the end being so near. While not every episode needs to be Battle of the Bastards, the fact that the season is shorter this time, and it will be the end, it feels like there's a LOT to wrap up within the next 4 episodes. While they could snip some of those loose ends by simply killing off characters, that would also feel a little, unimaginative?

Going back and watching previous seasons, some of the best parts (to me) were the conversations Tywin and Arya shared during Season 2. No big battles there. Just great character development and dialogue. The conversations last night just seemed..rushed and out of place? While reunions are nice to see, it seems like they're really milking that a bit given that their time is limited.
Codeblue wrote:I thought the "strategy" session was especially cringeworthy, and perhaps it was just to show how completely unprepared they are.
Also saying how safe the crypts are over, and over and over..
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:51 am

It was all a bit too tidy for sure, but I ate it all up like Ramsey Bolton with a plate of venison sausages. Mormont cousins chatting, little girl getting soup from onion knight, Gilly helping out. All great.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:02 pm

I definitely enjoyed last night's episode, but the whole endgame seems so damned rushed. The slow build of the Night King as a threat to the Seven Kingdoms literally took 6 seasons before anyone other than the Crows/Night Watch took it seriously, and now it just seems like everyone has just gotten on board with this and they're planning for one single battle in the backyard of Winterfell.

I get that they are playing it off the idea that the Night King only cares about getting Bran first, hence they are consolidated in one place and the dead are only attacking there . . . but after sooooo much build-up it's being rushed into this one battle that's going to determine the fate of the Seven Kingdoms for a week, until whoever's left turns south to deal with Cersei.

Just too rushed IMO.
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:07 pm

Yeah you guys have valid points. Dan and Dave are not as good writers as GRRM. The quality of the show is not the same. Season 4 was, in my opinion, where the show peaked. The best season of the best show ever.

That said. When shows enter "wrap up mode" I kinda feel like we should all curb our expectations in some areas, we're not doing ourselves any favors otherwise. Literally every time a show has ever ended I think to myself "Damn they have X amount of episodes and they have a lot to wrap up" but they always seem to do it.

I fully believe that last night's episode is only a disappointment to some because we don't have epsiodes 3-6 yet. In hindsight, when it's all over, it will fit an make sense and we'll all be satisfied with the season as whole.

It takes a whole season to end a show. Not an episode.
jjbehren
Flipper

Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:08 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:Each scene feels convoluted and forced, like they are filming inside an action figure carrying case.
Most of last nights ep was ultimately not necessary based on where it is all leading anyway.
Over the years, the show has had two pretty distinct themes or genres in the story lines, magic wizardry fudge, and fighting. Now that all of the story lines are coming together, the blending of those genres feels awkward.
Thinker wrote:Everyone wants every episode to be the battle of Bastards now.
Who would want that? That battle was terrible. All those bodies making a huge pile was so unbelievable it took me out of the intensity of the battle entirely.

All that being said, I have no issue with a "calm before the storm" bottle episode. But I did not ever need to see Arya having sex. That was totally unnecessary (and a little creepy since I think she's still pretty young, at least in my mind).
iambillyg wrote:Going back and watching previous seasons, some of the best parts (to me) were the conversations Tywin and Arya shared during Season 2. No big battles there. Just great character development and dialogue. The conversations last night just seemed..rushed and out of place?
The vibe and tone of this show has totally changed since the writers ran out of source material. I get that maybe the storytelling will feel a bit different, but it's the change of the overall vibe that bothers me. It's gone from dark and believably earnest to campy and almost ironically earnest. I'll watch until the end, but I'm sure I'll be disappointed no matter what happens. Maybe that's on me? I don't know.