Game of Thrones

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
Thinker
Art Connoisseur

Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:31 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Thinker wrote:
HisBobness wrote:It would only be fitting for a show like Game of Thrones to have the Night King win where nobody gets to sit on the Iron Throne. I think that would be bad ass. Where the greatest show to ever be on television doesn't have a happy ending. Seems like a GoT theme.
I expect the books to end this way. I don't think Dan and Dave, or HBO, have it in them.
Luls. Spoiler alert: There will be no actual ending to the books. You'll be lucky if he puts out one more.
Cause you think he'll die I assume? Someone will finish the books if that happens. Or they'll find a way to publish his notes in a coherent, narrative form. The books will have an ending, even if it's authenticity is questioned.
Philpenn
Art Expert

Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:01 pm

Less he'll die before he finishes, more he's written himself into a corner. He created a gigantic world with so many moving parts that he doesn't know how to tie them all together. That plus he's 100x richer/more famous now than when he began writing them. Feels like he doesn't even care anymore.

I've taken a very pessimistic view in hopes I'm proven wrong, and he does finish/it's awesome/every storyline has a conclusion.
HisBobness
Art Expert

Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:20 pm

Thinker wrote:
Codeblue wrote:
Thinker wrote:
HisBobness wrote:It would only be fitting for a show like Game of Thrones to have the Night King win where nobody gets to sit on the Iron Throne. I think that would be bad ass. Where the greatest show to ever be on television doesn't have a happy ending. Seems like a GoT theme.
I expect the books to end this way. I don't think Dan and Dave, or HBO, have it in them.
Luls. Spoiler alert: There will be no actual ending to the books. You'll be lucky if he puts out one more.
Cause you think he'll die I assume? Someone will finish the books if that happens. Or they'll find a way to publish his notes in a coherent, narrative form. The books will have an ending, even if it's authenticity is questioned.
Oh they got it in em alright. No other show has the balls to kill the main characters and have the "bad guy" win except game of thrones. The show is already in a league of its own and is going down as the greatest in history. The cherry on top is that the whole show was all for nothing if the white walkers take over. I wouldn't be mad either. It would just further lament the shows greatness.

I don't think Jon Snugh will, it's too obvious.

As far as you thinking the books will end with the Night King taking over and believing the show to take it a different direction, I hope that's not the case. If I were a fan of both the books and the TV show, it would really piss me off if they ended differently. I expect a show like this to have the same ending. George R.R. Martin has lines.
middayshadows
Art Expert

Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:20 pm

GRRM at the premiere of the first ep three weeks ago stated that he thinks the show will have pretty much the same ending as the books.

A few years ago D& D went to George's house and over the course of a few days got the complete telling of how the story completes. So all the broad strokes, major deaths and basic ending will be as was always planned by George.
Image Image
mtarail
Art Expert

Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:43 am

FWIW, when GRRM was on 60 minutes last week he left the impression that he had not plotted the end, that Benioff and Weiss crafted the shows ending, and that his last books would not be constrained to follow the track of the show. I'm just hoping the dude sits his ass down to write and completes the series on paper.
middayshadows
Art Expert

Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:01 am

That's right, the 60 minutes interview was what I was thinking of, and here's a direct quote :

" I don't think Dan and Dave's ending is going to be that different from my ending, because of the conversations we did have"

And mentions the meetings where he told them how it all finishes, after the point the show surpassed the books:

"The major beats. We're talking several days of story conferences in my home"

Here ya go if you wanna watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjDentEr9c4
Image Image
Philpenn
Art Expert

Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:23 am

I can't imagine how the two end the same. Books have 4x the moving parts. Stannis is still alive, has an army, and isn't a moron. Doran is still alive, has a fresh army, and isn't a moron. Euron is actually doing Ironborn fudge, and not wasting his time playing taxicab. And let's not forget he who the Golden Company is fighting for, because they would never fight for Cersie. Beneath the gold, the bitter steel.
middayshadows
Art Expert

Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:48 am

He explains how pretty well in the clip. “The major (story) beats” will be the same. “On certain secondary characters there may be big differences”. Agree about all of those plots you mentioned.
Image Image
RadioactiveToy
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:56 pm

Thinker wrote:
Codeblue wrote:
Thinker wrote:
I recall reading somewhere a while ago that GRRM said if he dies, he won't allow a ghostwriter to finish his work, so if he passed before its done, then we're drymounted..
There was something out there from the premiere as well that GRRM said the writing of Winds was going really well, I think its all horseshit and he's done, just waiting for the shows to get done before he puts out Winds.. Dream could be a posthumous release so he doesn't have to hear the fan-boi bitching about the end, my hopeful thoughts.
jjbehren
Flipper

Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:24 pm

I bet they've all been in purgatory this whole time.
RadioactiveToy
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:30 pm

It's all a dream that Bran had after getting pushed out the Window... "Old Nan, I had the strangest Dream..." <fade to black>
fredo
Art God

Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:47 pm

They all end up in jail with Costanza.
just a foil for me today, thanks
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:59 pm

Snow and dany ride off into the sunset on the last remaining dragon after all the walkers die of a human disease they're not immune to.

P.S. Spoiler alert
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:57 pm

Holy baby risen Jesus fucknuggets, what an opening scene! Paused to pour some basil haydens and take a breath.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:58 pm

Best. Episode. Ever.