Game of Thrones

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:58 pm

michaelmillichamp wrote: I will say that since we've got away from the books, the show seems more about epic moments than grand betrayals. It's like the show is now checkers and it used to be chess. Every small detail used to play an effect on how things were going to play out two seasons ahead.

Still, last nights episode was dope.
The AV Club had a pretty great breakdown of the episode and the problems with the condensed season that result in exactly what you said: bigger epic action sequences, but no real rational reason for why they are in those situations at all.

I still enjoyed the hell out of the last three episodes, but it does feel like a change from previous seasons, and certainly from the way the books get to things.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:05 pm

BB8 wrote:For you book readers, I'd be REALLY REALLY surprised if GRRM goes that route. He is a vastly superior writer than the showrunners and yes yes I know they're using his notes --- I doubt that part was in his notes.
Luls. Like he is ever going to finish writing the series before he croaks.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:14 pm

Codeblue wrote:
BB8 wrote:For you book readers, I'd be REALLY REALLY surprised if GRRM goes that route. He is a vastly superior writer than the showrunners and yes yes I know they're using his notes --- I doubt that part was in his notes.
Luls. Like he is ever going to finish writing the series before he croaks.
Duh.

The final cast party at the end of shooting the series is going to kill him.
middayshadows
Art Expert

Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:47 pm

...and people are under the impression he's only going to need two books to finish it all (since he's announced their titles). It'll take at least three. Book stuff so I'll avoid elaborating here.

I can't remember ever coming away from an ep of this series feeling such extreme positives and negatives. There were some great scenes. But soooo many moments where suspension of disbelief was stretched beyond the point of being at all plausible or credible... I started listing them and there were so many it just became a rant. Let's just say I have a very short amount of patience for plot contrivances and for characters on the show acting stupidly.

The magnificent seven trek (guess there were actually 12 of them) was so frustratingly good. I could watch an entire season of just that story, with those characters. And Iceland is so damn gorgeous. That this story was so short is tragic.

The Dany/Jon thing is working, for me. The dragon stuff, jesus. So good.

I love this show still and it is still capable of being great, but it is trading on the enormous audience faith set up by the first four seasons. It's feeling rushed. They are obviously hitting plot benchmarks, good ones, but they are often sacrificing credibility to get there. It should be much more satisfying.
IWish
Art Expert

Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:22 pm

middayshadows wrote:
The magnificent seven trek (guess there were actually 12 of them) was so frustratingly good. I could watch an entire season of just that story, with those characters.
As Tormund would say,"I like it.". ^^^
BB8
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:50 pm

All shows jump the shark. Even the best ones. How gracefully they do so is what sets them apart.

Not sure if it was this episode or if it was Jaime and Bronn's bullshit getaway (swimaway) but Game of Thrones jumped the shark this season. STILL love the show so SO much. But we've jumped the shark.

Once they decide they're going to wrap things up and end the show they're going to get from point A to point B the most efficient way they can, and story will be sacrificed.

I feel super confident there will be an EXTREME, EXTREME, difference from book to TV show. Even more so than you one would normally suspect. I think the they will not resemble eachother at all.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:14 pm

BB8 wrote:All shows jump the shark. Even the best ones. How gracefully they do so is what sets them apart.

Not sure if it was this episode or if it was Jaime and Bronn's bullshit getaway (swimaway) but Game of Thrones jumped the shark this season. STILL love the show so SO much. But we've jumped the shark.

Once they decide they're going to wrap things up and end the show they're going to get from point A to point B the most efficient way they can, and story will be sacrificed.

I feel super confident there will be an EXTREME, EXTREME, difference from book to TV show. Even more so than you one would normally suspect. I think the they will not resemble eachother at all.
Yeah, the difference will be that the shows actually get finished :lol:
middayshadows
Art Expert

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:44 pm

Not only do I think the show will have a much different ending, I think the show ending point will be at an earlier point than where the books end.

Best way to describe what I mean is: The Red Wedding episode in the show was the end/climax of the third season, which followed the third book. In the third book, the Red Wedding takes place less than two thirds of the way through, with a substantial amount of events and story to go.

Not to mention that everything that leads up to the end will be more fleshed out and satisfyingly told.

And yeah, if he finishes.

Being the second last episode of the season, last night should have been this seasons Battle of the Bastards, Hardhome, and Blackwater. The stuff that happened in it was cool and dramatic but it should have played out like one of those episodes and it didnt. Too rushed.
apalma27
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:12 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:Entertaining but show jumped the shark since Jon came back.
Agree. I felt a familiar Walking Dead like quality in last night's episode.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:21 pm

cotis wrote:mfaith! come clean this fudge up.
MooseThompson wrote:See y'all on Monday. Good lord.
Wasn't coming anywhere near this thread until I watched the episode lol. As usual, piece of fudge alts trying to ruin it for everyone.

Episode was great. I enjoyed the Dany/Jon exchange at the end. It's nice to see Dany show some tenderness, even if she's guarded against it. Shows her humanity.
So it goes...
IWish
Art Expert

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:06 pm

Is there a significance to this image? >>> (god's eye? Scene at the lake battle, yesterday's episode.)

I didn't post a image hotlink. I don't know if that's allowed in this thread, so here's the direct link.

http://imgur.com/ekrZrIa
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:01 pm

IWish wrote:Is there a significance to this image? >>> (god's eye? Scene at the lake battle, yesterday's episode.)

I didn't post a image hotlink. I don't know if that's allowed in this thread, so here's the direct link.

http://imgur.com/ekrZrIa
Ha, that's great.... I didn't notice that. Actually, I wonder why Ghost didn't come with them.
mtarail
Art Expert

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:30 pm

I agree with BB8 that this completed the jump the shark argument. But I'll still be watching.

And now we've got a zombie dragon.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:14 am

TBF smoke baby is way more ridiculous than any of the aforementioned fudge.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
michaelmillichamp
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:58 am

Codeblue wrote:TBF smoke baby is way more ridiculous than any of the aforementioned fudge.
I had forgotten...thanks.