Game of Thrones

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:31 pm

I have no idea what's coming next, but I can only assume Cersei will figure a way out. I mean it's too satisfying for the viewer to see that evil bitch get what she deserves, and as we know, Game of Thrones doesn't let that kind of satisfaction last very long. :lol:
Last edited by TheThirdEye on Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChefFerrari
Art Expert

Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:35 pm

Someone find me a Wildling Parka please
mistersmith
Art Freak

Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:51 pm

dropdoctor wrote:
MatchsMalone wrote:
TheThirdEye wrote:Didn't Cersei herself give the Sparrows this power in her attempt to to drymount over Margaery? She can't just reverse all this after getting accused of similar sins in the eyes of the Sparrows. And if she did, then Margaery and her brother wouldn't face a trial either. But yeah, it would seem Tommen could have all the Sparrows killed, and free both his mother and the queen. This definitely wouldn't have happened if Tywin or Joffrey were still around.
Pretty much. Although it was Tommen who technically restored the Faith Militant, but obviously it was Cersei who made it happen. Either way, Tommen is king. He can do what he wants, including revoking his decree. I understand that he isn't prone to violence, but it's hard to imagine a situation that would justify retaliation if your wife and mother being kidnapped doesn't do it.

That is the most confusing part of that story line for me. He's so distraught he won't talk to anyone or eat, but doesn't do anything about it with his army?
The Faith Militant are like the Night's Watch in that they exist outside of the laws of the king, right? And even if I'm wrong about that, we already saw Tommen try and assert himself after Loris was taken -- and the people booed, hissed, and whispered "bastard" at him. He assaults the Faith he risks an uprising, and civil war.

And the king doesn't HAVE an army. Houses do, and the king can call those loyal houses in...but what you're thinking of is probably the (paid) Lannister army, much of which probably scattered after Tywin fell. Remember that scene between Joffrey and Cersei, where he talked of raising and training a true army of the realm, and she explained why that wouldn't work?

But yeah. If Tommen had balls and all, he'd sack up, send 100 armored knights at the faith, slay them all, take back Margery, and after 8 weeks of constant misuse of her body (or is that just me?) he'd make an edict that the Faith Militant was banished again, as they were before. But he's a silly little boy, so, nope.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
willg
Art Expert

Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:56 pm

haven wrote:Tommen had a scene where he looked like he might finally be growing some hair on his chest, I don't get why he's allowing this religious sect to completely take over his city. Just doesn't make much sense to me.
Same here. Unless I missed something Its not like they are in charge of the military or have any real power. Seems like an easy problem to squash, even by a young king.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:57 pm

willg wrote:
haven wrote:Tommen had a scene where he looked like he might finally be growing some hair on his chest, I don't get why he's allowing this religious sect to completely take over his city. Just doesn't make much sense to me.
Same here. Unless I missed something Its not like they are in charge of the military or have any real power. Seems like an easy problem to squash, even by a young king.
Like I said, he'd lose the people. He already backed down from the Faith once because the pots were all there ready to riot. They LIKE the FM. They DON'T like a bastard blonde boy-king.
willg
Art Expert

Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:03 pm

That must be the part I missed. I don't remember seeing any indication the people were supporting them strongly enough that it would be a deterrent for the King to act.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:04 pm

willg wrote:That must be the part I missed. I don't remember seeing any indication the people were supporting them strongly enough that it would be a deterrent for the King to act.
I'm waiting on my wife to get ready to go out, so, I have plenty of time to find this :)

It was episode 4. He went to get Loras out of jail, the gold cloaks offered to cut down the Faith on the steps of the sept, and the people in the crowd were yelling "bastard," "abomination," "born of sin," etc., and Tommen peaced out, unwilling to a) kill the Faith and b) have the people fight him too.

MatchsMalone
Art Expert

Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:02 pm

mistersmith wrote:
willg wrote:That must be the part I missed. I don't remember seeing any indication the people were supporting them strongly enough that it would be a deterrent for the King to act.
I'm waiting on my wife to get ready to go out, so, I have plenty of time to find this :)

It was episode 4. He went to get Loras out of jail, the gold cloaks offered to cut down the Faith on the steps of the sept, and the people in the crowd were yelling "bastard," "abomination," "born of sin," etc., and Tommen peaced out, unwilling to a) kill the Faith and b) have the people fight him too.
Absolutely (fyi it was the white cloaks, not gold), but fighting for Loras, the philandering, rich, pretty boy is an entirely different story from Margaery. The common people LOVE her. Remember all those scenes last season of her stopping the royal "motorcade" to go hang out with people in Fleabottom? Or the way the crowds would cheer for her when she would make an appearance leading up to her wedding? There would be plenty of sympathy from the common people for her to be released. Cersei though ... not as much.

This particular sequence just feels like rushed writing to me. I can't see multiple white cloaks standing by as someone drags off the queen to a black cell without repercussions or any kind of fight. The way the show has developed the sparrows has not been very convincing IMO. It was like overnight that they suddenly had more power than the king and the most wealthy two families in Westeros.
Because it's the print we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So we'll hunt it.

Let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet.
Rumple
New User

Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:25 am

I too found it quite unbelievable the Sparrows would be able to do what they are doing without the kinsguard doing anything about it.

But rememeber, Cersei went through great lengths to make sure of exactly that - that they wouldn't be able to do anything about it. It backfired.

it would seem the real problem right now, and the main reason why Tommen is not acting, is because the people have a devotion to the Sparrows, that religion. Slaughtering may cause an uprising. What I find weird is why this devotion only started existing when Cersei put them in power, where was that devotion before?
fitz
Art Expert

Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:57 am

no "police force" could withstand the populace of a city if they were to rise up against it - the king rules because the people allow it the same as pretty much all rulers - given how unhappy and close to riot the city is anyway there is no way that anyone is going to want to do anything to set the people off - Kings Landing is supposed to have a population of around 500,000 so even if only a few percent were fanatical supporters of the faith that is still thousands of people that would be laying into the gold cloaks, knights etc and would wipe them out in no time.
seppuku
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:44 am

TheThirdEye wrote:
IronBott wrote:I wonder if she could ask a trial by combat and use mountain-stein!
Would she even be afforded that option since she will be on trial under a religious court controlled by the Sparrows, and not a normal court controlled by King's landing officials? She isn't getting the same rights as a normal prisoner under the Sparrows right? Not even sure they would recognize a trial by combat?
I'd think they would have to recognize trial by combat as the outcome of it is considered the 'will of the Gods'.
So it might actually apply more in this case.
As everyone on trial is Highborn they each have this right.

The Kingsguard are the ones with the white cloaks and are traditionally the top knights.
The gold cloaks are the City Watch, the police force of Kings Landing, Janos Slynt was their former Commander and they aren't knights often lowborn from the city.
I think some people are getting them mixed up, a few times the Kingsguard went to kill the sparrows but can only actually do so if Tommen commands it.
The City Watch was commanded not to stop the sparrows when they went on their rampage.
Philpenn
Art Expert

Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:56 pm

Mayhaps if the Kingsguard looked like they're supposed to and wore white armor instead of gold, cats wouldn't confuse them with the Goldcloaks.
finneganm
Art Freak

Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:55 pm

Stannis just dropped a peg or two.
That's what she said
unbroken1
Art Expert

Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:55 pm

:shock:
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:01 pm

finneganm wrote:Stannis just dropped a peg or two.
What a drymounter