Game of Thrones

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
Ctg9095
Art Expert

Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:58 pm

Particle wrote:The only problem I have with R + L = J is that there would be no reason to keep this info from Catelyn.

Someone make an argument against that, I'd ike to hear it.
Book spoilers

Lyanna's dying wish: "Promise me, Ned"
Last edited by Ctg9095 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:21 pm

^^^ Yup. I just read a line today from when Jaime trashed Ned and right before they met he said something along the lines of, "he thought of the promises he made Lyanna as she was dying. And the price he paid to keep them." Either way I think it's a no brainer that it's definitely not Ned as the father.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:24 pm

Just a heads up

For truly invisible spoilers use color #F0F0D8 - that is the normal background color for a post and quoted posts are color #E0E0B0
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
dasher12
Art Expert

Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:13 am

Sorry if this has been answered but I don't want to read through the thread for fear of spoilers.

Just finished watching the whole show on demand in the past three weeks. Amazing amazing show.
What book can I start reading to pick up where season 4 ended ? Or closest to it ?
jampar5000
Art Expert

Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:43 am

dasher12 wrote:Sorry if this has been answered but I don't want to read through the thread for fear of spoilers.

Just finished watching the whole show on demand in the past three weeks. Amazing amazing show.
What book can I start reading to pick up where season 4 ended ? Or closest to it ?
start at the beginning. it'll take a while, but you'll get about 35 - 40% more out of the books. As soon as you get to later books, you'll also realise that quite a bit of stuff has been changed for TV.
LeeKaye wrote:I liked it, but I am trying to resist the lure of one more 'wafer thin print'
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:39 am

mcgraw23 wrote:If you're going to read the books, you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not starting at the beginning.
A Lannister always pays his debts.
Philpenn
Art Expert

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:44 am

Dream sequences alone are worth reading from the start.

If you must skip books, start with book 3.
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:50 am

Philpenn wrote:Dream sequences alone are worth reading from the start.
Agreed. Two guys in my office started reading the books after S4 ended and have been really happy they started at the beginning. There are a few differences in GoT but as you get into ACOK and ASOS, the differences become pretty numerous. Not to mention, there are a lot of cool sequences that are passed over in the show like dreams/prophecies/internal character debates, etc. They're not a chore to read at all unless you don't like reading so I'd highly recommend starting from the beginning.
listerfeend
Art Expert

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:06 pm

mcgraw23 wrote:
Philpenn wrote:Dream sequences alone are worth reading from the start.
Agreed. Two guys in my office started reading the books after S4 ended and have been really happy they started at the beginning. There are a few differences in GoT but as you get into ACOK and ASOS, the differences become pretty numerous. Not to mention, there are a lot of cool sequences that are passed over in the show like dreams/prophecies/internal character debates, etc. They're not a chore to read at all unless you don't like reading so I'd highly recommend starting from the beginning.
I had a loooot of friends start reading the books after the first season, and they pretty much all said that having an actual face to put to a name made it much easier to remember who each character was.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:55 am

^^^ this. I would be lost as Drymount without being able to recall specific scenes and peeps.
Particle
Art Expert

Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:54 pm

Ctg9095 wrote:
Particle wrote:The only problem I have with R + L = J is that there would be no reason to keep this info from Catelyn.

Someone make an argument against that, I'd ike to hear it.
Book spoilers

Not good enough reason to let Jon Snow grow up being hated by his adoptive mother.

Still looking for a reason.
spunkmonkey
Art Expert

Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:37 pm

Cat didn't like Jon because he was a constant reminder of her husband's (seeming) infidelity. I think she resented having to take care of a bastard. Most of the people who fathered bastards didn't bring them home with them. They were left in the care of the mother and were out of sight/out of mind.
pjsteelerfan
Art Expert

Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:46 pm

IF R+L=J is true and Robert Baratheon had known, he would have killed Jon. So the thinking is that Ned claimed him as his own bastard at his sisters request so he would live. Cat hates him since she would/could not know this.
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:58 pm

spunkmonkey wrote:Cat didn't like Jon because he was a constant reminder of her husband's (seeming) infidelity. I think she resented having to take care of a bastard. Most of the people who fathered bastards didn't bring them home with them. They were left in the care of the mother and were out of sight/out of mind.
Agreed. Not to mention that she was raised in a noble house so she's already conditioned to view bastards in an unsavory light... Not a spoiler at all, but in the books when she's visiting Lysa, she's helped up to the castle by a bastard girl named Mya Stone and she doesn't treat her kindly and thoughts wander to Jon Snow.. could just be a product of how she's brought up as well as the constant reminder of Ned's (supposed) infidelity.
Philpenn
Art Expert

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:22 pm

If the theory is true and Ned tells Cat to spare Jon from having a stepmom that hates him, pretty good chance Cat tells Lysa to help spare herself from the shame of having an unloyal husband. Lysa tells Littlefinger, and then Westeros knows. Bye bye Jon.