Game of Thrones

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
mrkyuss
Art God

Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:29 pm

Ctg9095 wrote:They recast Daario and Ser Gregor Clegane for next season.
He was a pretty weird dude.
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
MatchsMalone
Art Expert

Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:02 am

Ctg9095 wrote:They recast Daario and Ser Gregor Clegane for next season.
Good! I didn't mind The Mountain from Season 1, but I didn't find Ian Whyte (the season 3 version of Ser Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane) convincing. He's just a goofy looking tall guy, I can't picture him cutting a horse in half with a single swing of his sword:

The new (Season 4) guy at least looks a little more physically imposing. I mean look at this dude:
He seems to be an accomplished power lifter, but hopefully he can act too.

On a side note, apparently Ian Whyte has been in the show for other stuff too as a White Walker and one of the wildling giants. He was also one of the Engineers in Prometheus:
Because it's the print we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So we'll hunt it.

Let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet.
mrkyuss
Art God

Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:50 am

He must workout.
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:05 pm

mistersmith wrote:This is a minor spoiler. Please keep the discussion to the show and events that have occurred on the show.
Ctg9095 wrote:Yeah mcgraw you should remove that last sentence before the spoiler nazis come a knocking at your door :P
My bad! Post has since been edited.

The new Gregor is menacing.. pumped to see how beastly he looks in full chainmail and wielding a broadsword like a butter knife. :D
A Lannister always pays his debts.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:04 pm

Is there a trend as to why so many roles are getting re-cast? I mean, it's not like when people signed on they didn't know it was a multi-year gig, right? Are people quitting for work, quitting for something else, or is it all bad luck?
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:35 pm

mistersmith wrote:Is there a trend as to why so many roles are getting re-cast? I mean, it's not like when people signed on they didn't know it was a multi-year gig, right? Are people quitting for work, quitting for something else, or is it all bad luck?
I would imagine it's due to a conflict of scheduling for work. I doubt most of these minor roles that keep being recast pay extremely well so once they're on the radar of HBO, they likely get snatched up in other works which would lead to the recasting. Take Gregor for example, in S1, the only scene of note I can think of was at the tournament when he takes on Lancel. In S2, he was only present at a couple scenes tableside with Tywin and when they're torturing the prisoners in Harrenhal. Not much to go multi-year on so the actors probably keep their schedules open for other future work, setting up for the re-cast.

Daario surprises me more than the Mountain to be honest.. his character is an intriguing part of Dany's storyline in S3 so to recast is seems strange.
A Lannister always pays his debts.
MatchsMalone
Art Expert

Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:27 pm

mcgraw23 wrote:
mistersmith wrote:Is there a trend as to why so many roles are getting re-cast? I mean, it's not like when people signed on they didn't know it was a multi-year gig, right? Are people quitting for work, quitting for something else, or is it all bad luck?
I would imagine it's due to a conflict of scheduling for work. I doubt most of these minor roles that keep being recast pay extremely well so once they're on the radar of HBO, they likely get snatched up in other works which would lead to the recasting. Take Gregor for example, in S1, the only scene of note I can think of was at the tournament when he takes on Lancel. In S2, he was only present at a couple scenes tableside with Tywin and when they're torturing the prisoners in Harrenhal. Not much to go multi-year on so the actors probably keep their schedules open for other future work, setting up for the re-cast.

Daario surprises me more than the Mountain to be honest.. his character is an intriguing part of Dany's storyline in S3 so to recast is seems strange.
I think this is probably right. I mean think about someone like Walder Frey. He is obviously a critical character, but he has about 5 minutes of screen time in Season 1, and then we don't see him again until the end of Season 4. Fortunately, they were able to use the same actor, I'm just using that as an example of a role that could be difficult. A lot could happen in the 4 years or so in between, and there are a number of characters like that.

I'm also surprised by the Daario re-casting. He doesn't really fall into this category.

I wonder why they ever showed Gregor's face? Especially in Season 1 & 2, he could have pretty much just been a random giant that was always wearing armor and a helm. In a way, he might have seemed more menacing and frightening.
Because it's the print we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So we'll hunt it.

mistersmith
Art Freak

Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:31 pm

Thanks mcgraw, I'm with you. Small role on GoT probably means big role somewhere else, so why come back for another 9 minutes on GoT when you can lead in anything else.
MatchsMalone wrote:I wonder why they ever showed Gregor's face? Especially in Season 1 & 2, he could have pretty much just been a random giant that was always wearing armor and a helm. In a way, he might have seemed more menacing and frightening.
With his brother's face being such a mess, and more and more magical stuff happening, I'm glad they let us know he's at least fully human. Between smoke monsters and dragons and warlocks and shapeshifters...if he'd never had his helmet off I'd have expected literally anything. Plus, being such a big dumb bastard makes it believable when he does really dumb stuff; with the helmet down we'd usually assume he'd be more...calculating.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
MatchsMalone
Art Expert

Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:19 pm

Darth Drogo:

seppuku
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:46 am

Season 1 and season 2 Gregors were different actors so this is the third Mountain we get.
S1 Gregor (Conan Stevens) has been working on the Hobbit and maybe when that got extended to 3 films more of his time was required.
Which is a bit of a shame as he was pretty scary, new guy looks like he should be good though.

Daario is a weird one, there must be something more going on than just scheduling conflicts.
Also I don't think his IMDb has any future work listed.
They put a lot of emphasis on his introduction and relationship with Dany, supporting a major character so he will be around nearly every ep.
His was also the kind of role that could make a young British actor famous in the states and lead to film work (ie Kit Harrington and Richard Madden) so you would think you wouldn't let that go.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:03 am

Trouble in paradise.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
shagdonk
Art Expert

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:24 am

Spoiler alert. Tyrion wins.
Lomier66
Art Expert

Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:05 am

shagdonk wrote:Spoiler alert. Tyrion wins.
HAND DRAWN 1/1 OG's COMING SOON http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/
Ctg9095
Art Expert

Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:13 pm

More casting news for season 4... http://whiteharbour.wordpress.com/2013/ ... on-4-cast/
Walda Frey and some unnamed female from Moles Town have been cast. Also some news about Locke that's kinda spoilerish, so click at your own risk.
dsanacore
Art Expert

Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:19 pm

MatchsMalone wrote:Darth Drogo:

Dude, seriously? Spoiler alert much? This hasn't even happened in the books yet. Thanks for ruining it for me. :hanging:
Image Image