the official TV discussion thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
User avatar
dreamingtree#41
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:00 am
Location: The 5th Demention

Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:23 am

Sons of Anarchy - Season 1 is based on Hamlet. Its on Tuesdays at 10pm on FX. Season 2 just started a few weeks ago. However, i would recommend watching season 1 first because you probably wont know whats going on.

Heroes - Some of yall might laugh at me, but its better than the majority of fudge out there. It uses the duality philosophy that is prevalent in Lost, but not to the extent that Lost uses it.
When Your Wisdom is Your Wallet You Can Kiss Your Ass Goodbye
User avatar
machination
EB Team Emeritus
Posts: 7847
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:08 pm
Location: Maple Leaf Land
Contact:

Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:34 am

dreamingtree#41 wrote:Sons of Anarchy - Season 1 is based on Hamlet. Its on Tuesdays at 10pm on FX. Season 2 just started a few weeks ago. However, i would recommend watching season 1 first because you probably wont know whats going on.

Heroes - Some of yall might laugh at me, but its better than the majority of fudge out there. It uses the duality philosophy that is prevalent in Lost, but not to the extent that Lost uses it.
I watch all three.

"Sons of Anarchy" is pretty good. "Lost" is a bit out there, but it's always surprising me. "Heroes" has some of the worst writing (and therefore dialogue) on TV, but it's so addictive. I have to watch most shows about super heroes.
Image
iratasan
Flipper
Posts: 10055
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Milliways
Contact:

Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:49 pm

i found sons of anarchy almost unbearable to watch. had to throw in the towell after episode 3. terrible.
"lost" lasted 5 episodes for me until i realised that i hated each and every character that they created.
"heroes" is just stupid. lasted 3 episodes for me. i might give it another shot because of Ali Larter. she's kinda hot.

as for recently shown episodes:

spoiler alert.

house s02e02 - i have a bad feeling about this. foreman is getting even more disgusting as he already was, which makes his relations with that hot chick (nunber 13?? 32??) even less believable. house is becoming a whimp, getting his kicks from solving foremans cases on the internet. the writers better get their fudge together soon.

how not to live your life s02 e02&03 - still the best show on TV. the new characters fit in perfectly. funny fudge.

the big bang theory (recent episode, don't remember the number) - getting better and better. seems like they are writin sheldon to be even less human and thank god less annoying.

being erica - count me out. the concept kept it together for the first episodes of season one, then it felt apart. they will have this cancelled by midseason.

SNL - great concept for a season start: megan fox & U2. U2 was perfect. megan did her best, but the material they have given her was beyond weak. worst SNL episode i have seen in a while. seems like amy pohler (who left last season) did more of the shows writing than i expected.

parks & recreation - yup, while we are at it. it is a good show, not even close to being great, but solid. didn't make me laugh, but i can't dismiss some mild chuckles. considering the amazing cast and especially my favorite comedian aubrey plaza i would expect more. much more.

sit down shut up - awesome show. actually too awesome for fox. that's why they already cancelled it. just as with every real great show that fox had the exclusive rights to. :roll:
did i mention that it was created by mitch Hurwitz, creator of Arrested Development? just saying.

fringe - count me out. first few epsiodes were allright, but by now it feels a bit too much like xfiles on crack.

grey's anatomy - 2 words: kill izzy!
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 52385
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:12 pm

You watch a fudge ton of tv. Didn't realize all that American trash was on in Germany.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
iratasan
Flipper
Posts: 10055
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Milliways
Contact:

Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:35 pm

Codeblue wrote:You watch a fudge ton of tv. Didn't realize all that American trash was on in Germany.
you need TV-via-LAN. in my package there are like 600 channels from around the world. i am unable to get MTV2 though, because i am too cheap to pay for the maximum pack.

if you think american TV is bad then wait until you have seen the german copies of the US shows. forget about original series or good original TV movies. you would not believe how terrible the tv culture is over here.

one exception: the german version of "the office" is even superior to the british original.
User avatar
comountaingolf
Art Expert
Posts: 9944
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: The 19th Hole

Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:25 pm

Modern Family... Not a big TV watcher (talk about THE opiate for the masses...) but this show is f**king funny. Bottom line, don't be the spit in my face, be the wind on my behind :lol:
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
User avatar
machination
EB Team Emeritus
Posts: 7847
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:08 pm
Location: Maple Leaf Land
Contact:

Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:57 pm

iratasan wrote:i found sons of anarchy almost unbearable to watch. had to throw in the towell after episode 3. terrible.
"lost" lasted 5 episodes for me until i realised that i hated each and every character that they created.
"heroes" is just stupid. lasted 3 episodes for me. i might give it another shot because of Ali Larter. she's kinda hot.
Thank goodness someone likes Ali more than Hayden (I think you do anyway...)

iratasan wrote:house s02e02 - i have a bad feeling about this. foreman is getting even more disgusting as he already was, which makes his relations with that hot chick (nunber 13?? 32??) even less believable. house is becoming a whimp, getting his kicks from solving foremans cases on the internet. the writers better get their fudge together soon.
Foreman is the worst.
Image
iratasan
Flipper
Posts: 10055
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Milliways
Contact:

Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:09 pm

machination wrote:
iratasan wrote:i found sons of anarchy almost unbearable to watch. had to throw in the towell after episode 3. terrible.
"lost" lasted 5 episodes for me until i realised that i hated each and every character that they created.
"heroes" is just stupid. lasted 3 episodes for me. i might give it another shot because of Ali Larter. she's kinda hot.
Thank goodness someone likes Ali more than Hayden (I think you do anyway...)
oh i like em both. completely different flavors. ali wins though. bad girl bonus, ya know? ;)
machination wrote:
iratasan wrote:house s02e02 - i have a bad feeling about this. foreman is getting even more disgusting as he already was, which makes his relations with that hot chick (nunber 13?? 32??) even less believable. house is becoming a whimp, getting his kicks from solving foremans cases on the internet. the writers better get their fudge together soon.
Foreman is the worst.
they started him off as a somewhat unlikeable character, but with just enough integrity to make up for it, but they made that character less tolerable and one-sided with every season. by now he has become an empty shell that is completely incompetend but somewhat ended up head of the department, but still is completely full of himself. i am really not sure where this is headed, but it feels a bit too much like "one tree hill" at the moment. which is bad. EXTREMELY bad.
User avatar
silver
Art Expert
Posts: 1396
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:00 am

Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:19 pm

My shows that are Tivo'd

Curb Your Enthusiasm
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Entourage
Bored to Death (so far so good)
30 Rock
Flipping Out
Hardball with Chris Matthews
Real Time with Bill Maher
Real Housewives of NYC :D

I really miss The Riches...that show was great.
User avatar
dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 699
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:17 am
Location: Denver

Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:29 pm

silver wrote:I really miss The Riches...that show was great.
Agreed. "Huff" is also on that list for me.

Not sure is anyone's mentioned it yet, but "Eastbound and Down" on HBO is hilarious.
User avatar
igottheworms
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:12 am
Location: Hong Kong

Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:23 am

The best show on tv is Breaking Bad hands down or up.

My other faves:

Mad Men
Dexter
Damages (over the top but entertaining)
True Blood (see description above and Sookie and Bill immensely annoy me but the minor characters are solid)
User avatar
machination
EB Team Emeritus
Posts: 7847
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:08 pm
Location: Maple Leaf Land
Contact:

Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:41 am

igottheworms wrote:The best show on tv is Breaking Bad hands down or up.

My other faves:

Mad Men
Dexter
Damages (over the top but entertaining)
True Blood (see description above and Sookie and Bill immensely annoy me but the minor characters are solid)
Anna Paquin does have issues with her acting, but part of it is the character she plays. She's supposed to be bubbly (which for some people also = annoying).

I don't mind Bill and Sookie, but they're not that interesting anymore. I almost hope they stick with the original storyline in the book, with Eric and Sookie ending up together. But not sure if the creators will follow that (similar to how the creators of "Dexter" didn't follow the storyline after the first season).
Image
iratasan
Flipper
Posts: 10055
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Milliways
Contact:

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:09 pm

how could i forget the best new show this year: "you have been watching". even better than "never mind the bollocks", but i miss NMTB nevertheless. did they renew that?
User avatar
RupertPupkin
Art Expert
Posts: 6557
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Leeds, UK

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:30 pm

iratasan wrote:how could i forget the best new show this year: "you have been watching"
Charlie Brooker, who presents it, is drymounting brilliant. Stick his name in google and read some of his TV reviews for the Guardian newspaper over here - hilarious. Also check out his other programme, Screenwipe, if you get the chance.
iratasan wrote:... "never mind the bollocks", but i miss NMTB nevertheless. did they renew that?
New series just started this week. Simon Amstell is no longer the host though, there's going to be a different host each week I think.


I haven't heard of half the shows in this thread. I've only just got into The Wire :oops: - just finished the first series and man that is a great show, can't wait to catch up on series 2,3,4 and 5. Quite excited to see Fastforward, first episode was on this week and I have it recorded; my mates said it was superb.

New series of Peep Show has just started over here, very funny fudge but don't know if it has made it abroad. Also just watched series 1 & 2 of Inbetweeners - puerile stuff but funny as drymount, reminds me very much of my own schooldays and the stupid fudge we used to get up to.
iratasan
Flipper
Posts: 10055
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Milliways
Contact:

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:39 pm

RupertPupkin wrote:...
yeah, Charlie Brooker seems to be incredible. allright, "screenwipe" is now tivo'ed.

they kicked Simon Amstell? sweet. i loved the period when the switched up hosts every week. i think bill bailey should become host. the show was perfect when he was a steady team captain, but as a host he would be even better.

i didn't check "the wire" or fastforward yet.

i think i checked out an episode of peep show, but couldn't find my way into it.

did ya see "how not to live your life yet"? funny fudge. i think it is on BBC3.

when the drymount is IT crowd returning?

never heard of "Inbetweeners". i will check it out.

if that doesn't work out i might have to rewatch my "coupling" dvd box again instead.
Post Reply