help a brother out. recommend a movie.

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
selassielion
Art Expert

Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:04 pm

House of the Devil - pretty good indie horror flick, done very retro to the point that it resembles the old Hammer horror movies from the 70's. Worth checking out.
Kdh12 wrote:It is not rockets science
iratasan
Flipper

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:25 am

haven't seen it, will not see it.

are they drymounting kidding me????? this gotta be the worst idea since the US version of "taxi". i am not in general against ALL US remakes, but at least they should not try so desperate to make them as shitty as humanly possible. the choice of actors alone: jimmy fallon and queen latifah in "taxi"???? wtf??? "death at a funeral 2010" kick it out of the ball park though:

- martin lawrence
- queen latifah
- tracy morgan

those 3 alone are a 100% guarantee to make this a completely agonizing experience.

what happened to my favorite standup chris rock? is he broke or did they simply threw cash at him until it was impossible to refuse the offer?? embarrassing.
entropy
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:36 am

Just saw Kick Ass. I'm trying to think of a better film released in 2010... Grade: A-

For some reason I dismissed it because I thought it was rated G, sort of like Spy Kids or something. Well, I was lured in by a couple things:
1. I learned it was based on a story by Mark Millar (not sure if there are other comic book geeks out there, but I'm one of 'em).
2. I know that film critic Roger Ebert called the film "morally reprehensible". Seriously, these days it's hard to call any work of art or entertainment "morally reprhensible" as we see what's going on in the world. I have always liked Roger Ebert but maybe he needs to retire now. [Note: I haven't read his review. I went into this film pretty much blindly with no expectations.]

This is a hard R. The violence is in the "ultra" category. The tale is pretty inspiring though. Bonus: John Murphy did the score and it featured multiple remixes of his "In a heartbeat" (for you fans of 28 Days Later) and the glorious "Kaneda's death" (from the film Sunshine).
schmoff
Art Expert

Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:23 am

can't wait to see kick-ass, i've read the comics and its definitely one of may favorites, and from what i hear the movie is very close to the books, mark millar is great, he has a new creator owned book that just started this month called nemesis, the tagline for it is "makes kick-ass look like fudge", its another great millar book, check it out
MattTheCraw
Art Expert

Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:34 am

Kick Ass has snuck up on a lot of people, that's why they're blown away by it.

A lot of people think it is some cutesy teen movie or crappy superhero thing and word of mouth is getting people into see it and get blown away.
Your Australian Poster Guy
MattTheCraw
Art Expert

Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:37 am

More of the same but less - in true trequal fashion it is the most average of the three - 5/10

AKA - Spoorloos (1988) - This just popped into my head today when I was thinking about foreign films. An amazing must see film - DO NOT see the US Remake with Keifer Sutherland and Jeff Bridges (unless you are a film masochist like myself) it is by the same director, but he pussies out on the US audience. But, track this one down, you won't regret it - 8/10
iratasan
Flipper

Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:48 am

entropy wrote:Just saw Kick Ass. I'm trying to think of a better film released in 2010... Grade: A-

For some reason I dismissed it because I thought it was rated G, sort of like Spy Kids or something. Well, I was lured in by a couple things:
1. I learned it was based on a story by Mark Millar (not sure if there are other comic book geeks out there, but I'm one of 'em).
2. I know that film critic Roger Ebert called the film "morally reprehensible". Seriously, these days it's hard to call any work of art or entertainment "morally reprhensible" as we see what's going on in the world. I have always liked Roger Ebert but maybe he needs to retire now. [Note: I haven't read his review. I went into this film pretty much blindly with no expectations.]

This is a hard R. The violence is in the "ultra" category. The tale is pretty inspiring though. Bonus: John Murphy did the score and it featured multiple remixes of his "In a heartbeat" (for you fans of 28 Days Later) and the glorious "Kaneda's death" (from the film Sunshine).
i've been desperate to see kickass since i saw the first ad. as an old clockwork orange (and sigue sigue sputnik) fan i am always delighted by "ultra violence".
wearesinkingships

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:46 pm

Cant go wrong with any Wes Anderson films.

but for the most part
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:32 pm

Also recommend Kick-Ass. Fantastic.
Deviates from the comic a bit but retains the feeling.

Saw the Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut on Blu-Ray. Wasn't impressed when I saw it in the theater years ago, but the Director's Cut is worth watching. The whole thing just feels epic, including it's 3 hour run time.
iratasan
Flipper

Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:43 pm

MattTheCraw wrote:transporter 3

More of the same but less - in true trequal fashion it is the most average of the three - 5/10
liked it. pretty ok for an action movie sequel. my pal, who used to love the first part the most was pretty disappointed though. 6/10

BIG TIME SPOILER ALERT:

MattTheCraw wrote: the vanishing
AKA - Spoorloos (1988) - This just popped into my head today when I was thinking about foreign films. An amazing must see film - DO NOT see the US Remake with Keifer Sutherland and Jeff Bridges (unless you are a film masochist like myself) it is by the same director, but he pussies out on the US audience. But, track this one down, you won't regret it - 8/10
i almost forgot about that one. ABYSMAL!!!! agonizingly bad!!!

i saw the original and was traumatized after the end, which was exactly the goa i guessl. i haven't heard of the remake until i accidently stumbled upon it while zapping through the channels. i knew that the story was somewhat familar and i am usually not judging the technical side of a movie unless the flick loses it's grip. the first 60 minutes or so it was a kinda ok copy of the original, but changing the end the way they did doesn't even make sense. the whole story was building up to the original ending. the cruelness when he offered him the two choices, which were both disastrous and then the final conclusion, showing the "villain" chilling in his garden, with his loving family as if nothing has happened was drymounting intense.
andruw000
Art Expert

Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:07 pm

Kick-Ass was alright. I think it was a bit over-hyped for me actually. I really enjoyed the first hour, though. The acting, as a whole, was pretty poor -- not necessarily a top priority for most viewers I suppose.

Going to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo this weekend, more to follow.
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:15 pm

andruw000 wrote: Going to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo this weekend, more to follow.
That's the other one I was trying to remember.
It is incredibly good, but hard to watch at some points.
MattTheCraw
Art Expert

Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:47 am

Disappointing - Especially after loving "The Road" - very similar film but without the emotion - by the end and the little twists, no one in our group cared anymore. We were all pissed we didn't go see Hot Tub Time Machine instead - Denzel watchable as always and the chick from that 70's show was good, but not enough to save the film, they should have tripled the Tom Waits screen time - 5/10
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:50 pm

MattTheCraw wrote:We were all pissed we didn't go see Hot Tub Time Machine instead
Hot Tub Time Machine was also terrible. I was really looking forward to it, but it was pretty weak.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:11 pm

Kick-Ass did not.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.