help a brother out. recommend a movie.

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
maden
Art Expert

Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:51 am

andruw000 wrote:anyone recommend something really disturbing? i enjoy testing my limits... for a reference point, cannibal holocaust and jack ketchum's the girl next door made me a bit squeamish.

We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

entropy
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:02 am

andruw000 wrote:anyone recommend something really disturbing? i enjoy testing my limits... for a reference point, cannibal holocaust and jack ketchum's the girl next door made me a bit squeamish.
I saw a really disturbing short "film" last week called "The Act of Seeing with One's Own Eyes" (1971). I didn't think I'd ever recommend it to anyone, but you're asking for something to test your limits. So here you go. Here's my "review" that I posted on NetFlix:

I rented Disc 1. Criterion should have recorded an introduction by Dieter (as played by Mike Myers) from the 90s show Sprockets. Do you remember Dieter's short avant garde B&W films on SNL? Those are better than those of Brakhage. I wish I was kidding. This "filmmaker" went to the Lars Von Trier School of art pretense and self-indulgent banality. Stuff your little brother shot when he got his first 8mm camera at the age of 10. "Dog Starman" is so awful. Is this really "celebrated"? By whom? Dieter's film school university prof? It's a POS that seemed to never end. It was like an infinite, recursive loop. IF you decide to rent this, it should be for one reason: Save about 90 minutes and skip to the final film: "The Act of Seeing with One's Own Eyes". It's about 30 minutes in length. And it shows portions of about 4 or 5 autopsies. Mercifully it is a SILENT film. Which is a brilliant move because otherwise, it would have overwhelmed the senses. Unlike the first 4 experimental films, "The Act of Seeing..." is in color. And even though it's silent, it has the ability to traumatize. I've seen films such as George Romero's Dawn of the Dead (1978) and Day of the Dead (1985), so I've seen anatomically correct human bodies torn spectacularly apart. But seeing a REAL autopsy in cold, clinical detail is something that forces you to think and contemplate and philosophize about your place in the scheme of the universe. You'll realize we are frail and transient and that we're mere trash once consciousness leaves the body permanently. I will give "The Act of Seeing..." a solid 3 stars. But Brakhage is still a talentless hack. But I'm glad he filmed the autopsies and that it has been preserved here as a "film" for those of us who merely want to know truth. Note: I have seen an embalming before in real life. However, that's still not preparation enough for what you see here.

If you decide to take a look, the DVD is titled By Brakhage: An Anthology. Disc 1. Criterion Edition. Don't watch the other experimental crap.
jjbehren
Flipper

Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:35 am

I've seen a number of autopsies. Hell, I even had to massage the rigor mortis out of one of their hands so that I could take prints. The worst was either when they tested the ocular fluid by sticking a giant hypodermic needle into the eyeball or when they threw all the weighed-out and dissected organs into a plastic bag (like the ones you get Chinese take-out in that say "Thank You" all down the side), threw the bag into the now-empty chest cavity, placed the sawed-off rib cage back in place, then very loosely stitched the body back up with what appeared to be thick twine.

Not that bad. Well, the smell is pretty bad.
MattTheCraw
Art Expert

Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:38 am

The Bridge is indeed outstanding
The Girl Next Door was really disturbing

Irrerversible
Anti-Christ
The Road
Cool as Ice
Your Australian Poster Guy
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:48 am

Pretty much a country music version of The Wrestler, but Mr. Bridges is a great actor.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
j_pawlish1476
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:43 am

"Audition" is a really disturbing Japanese horror movie. Pushed my limits a bit. Also, both versions of "Funny Games" and "Wolf Creek" are really out there.
iratasan
Flipper

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:33 am

- subconscious cruelty
- men behind the sun
- funny games
- red room 2
- schoolgirl in cement
- guinea pig: flower of flesh and blood
- aftermath - directors cut
- visitor Q

on your own risk!
MattTheCraw
Art Expert

Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:18 am

All added to the download list

Couldn't find Aftermath (Director name please?)
Your Australian Poster Guy
fredo
Art God

Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:43 pm

http://www.jayweidner.com/ShiningSecrets.html

Kubrick faked the moon landings?
just a foil for me today, thanks
MJBuck
Art Expert

Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:29 pm

Saw Crazy Heart and The Princess and the Frog over the weekend. Crazy Heart was much better.
out and perfect.
norelation wrote:quit with the sniveling and just sell the damn poster. i don't care about your life story, we all got problems. just tell me about bent corners, or if your cat has used it for target practice.
mistersmith wrote:That means I'm going to touch you.
iratasan
Flipper

Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:21 pm

MattTheCraw wrote:All added to the download list

Couldn't find Aftermath (Director name please?)
mate, just so you know, i was mainly going for "gross" and "terrifying", no neccessarily for "good and terrifying" since andrew asked for the most disturbing stuff. personally i would never want to watch "schoogirl in cement", "flower of flesh and blood" or "subconscious cruelty" again. those movies are successfully making a point by existing. they don't neccessarily need to be watched to make that point.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0159241/

i think it is only available on the "genesis/aftermath" DVD since it is more fo a short film
andruw000
Art Expert

Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:49 pm

thanks for all the replies gents. i've seen the bridge but not zoo -- so i will check that one out. the act of seeing with one's own eyes sounds interesting.

matt, i've seen all of those except the road, which i am looking forward too. cool as ice? as in the vanilla ice b-movie? i suppose that is disturbing.

j_pawl, the original funny games was great. audition is also a classic, but i have yet to see wolf creek. i've heard mixed things about that one, but i will get to it eventually.

rata, so you're an asian gorehound huh? didn't charlie sheen call the cops about a snuff film after watching one of this guinea pig films? of the films you listed, the only one i've seen is visitor q, which i enjoyed -- if that's the correct word. i've heard about most of them, though.

well, looks like i've got a good list of movies to see. i'll keep you posted as i go through them.
j_pawlish1476
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:10 pm

andruw000 wrote:thanks for all the replies gents. i've seen the bridge but not zoo -- so i will check that one out. the act of seeing with one's own eyes sounds interesting.

matt, i've seen all of those except the road, which i am looking forward too. cool as ice? as in the vanilla ice b-movie? i suppose that is disturbing.

j_pawl, the original funny games was great. audition is also a classic, but i have yet to see wolf creek. i've heard mixed things about that one, but i will get to it eventually.

rata, so you're an asian gorehound huh? didn't charlie sheen call the cops about a snuff film after watching one of this guinea pig films? of the films you listed, the only one i've seen is visitor q, which i enjoyed -- if that's the correct word. i've heard about most of them, though.

well, looks like i've got a good list of movies to see. i'll keep you posted as i go through them.
Oh, also check out 964 Pinocchio. Really freaky japanese movie AND Ken Park.
iratasan
Flipper

Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:23 pm

andruw000 wrote:rata, so you're an asian gorehound huh? didn't charlie sheen call the cops about a snuff film after watching one of this guinea pig films? of the films you listed, the only one i've seen is visitor q, which i enjoyed -- if that's the correct word. i've heard about most of them, though.
not neccessarily. i am a movie buff in general and ever since i watched oldboy i have been exploring the wacky world of indie cinema which also means exploring the darkest areas. personally i think with the movies i named the good ole area of "pushing the envelope" just for going further than anyone else should have ended. it was important that someone goes that far just to prove a point, but that's about it. i only enjoy "drastic" cinema if there is a great storyline envolved, which justifies the drastic elements. funny games for example is brilliant and disturbing, while "schoolgirl in cement" is utter shite, but it is still important that the latter exists.

no offense , but "the audition" bored the hell outta me. it was all just building up for the final grossout scene and left me with an empty feeling because there was no deeper meaning by doing so.

as for visitor q it was completely drymounting with me. at one particular scene (i am pretty sure you know which one) i was sitting in front of my TV, literally yelling out (to the TV) "what? get the drymount outta here!!".

update for the list:

- senseless
- martyrs

both shite as they unsuccessfully try to reach the movies i named in grossness. since they came out way later and did not reach that level and also did not provide a good script and/or a reasonable justification/twist they are utter useless. pretty gross nonetheless.

as for good and intense i would recommend to check out:
- benny's video
- the white ribbon
- hard candy
- thirst
- icci the killer
- american psycho
- meatball machine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- machinegun girl
iratasan
Flipper

Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:24 pm

j_pawlish1476 wrote:
Oh, also check out 964 Pinocchio. Really freaky japanese movie AND Ken Park.
damn, i have been trying to track down a copy of 964 Pinocchio for quite a while now.

and yeah, ken park is a must see.