help a brother out. recommend a movie.

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
MattTheCraw
Art Expert

Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:20 pm

Hollywood blockbuster Avatar surged to a box office haul of more than US$1 billion globally on Sunday, faster than any other movie in history, an industry tracker reported.

"It has made $670 million international, for a total of more than $1 billion," box office analyst Chad Hartigan of Exhibitor Relations said.

Since the Fox-distributed film — the most expensive ever made at up to $500 million — debuted 17 days ago, it has earned $352 million in the US as of Sunday, according to weekend estimates, assuring its reputation as one of the most impressive box office performers of all time.

"It was the fastest ever to the $1 billion mark," and "Avatar is now the third-biggest-grosser ever," behind Titanic and The Return of the King, the final movie in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Hartigan said.

The film tells the story of a paralysed war veteran, Jake, who is sent on a mission to the planet Pandora, where he falls in love with a blue humanoid named Neytiri of the alien Na'vi race.

Last weekend, earning $75.6 million from Friday to Sunday, the 3-D science fiction epic helped boost the North American box office to the highest-grossing weekend in movie history.

The Christmas holiday weekend saw movie-goers flock to theaters in droves, sending earnings soaring to nearly $270 million, an all-time record, California-based Exhibitor Relations said.

The figure smashed the previous best weekend mark of $260.3 million set in July 2008, when Batman blockbuster The Dark Knight opened to huge audiences in Canada and the United States.
Your Australian Poster Guy
andruw000
Art Expert

Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:02 pm

with all that money made, think they'd give me my $12.75 back?
drummer7795
Art Expert

Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:02 pm

I will not watch funny people, I just can't look at seth rogan anymore I don't find him the least bit entertaining. A couple friends loooove pineapple express, and I thought it was a waste of time. It was like an insult to stoner comedies. I'll stick to supertroopers and up in smoke.

Zach Galifiniakis was the best part of the hangover, as he was basically playing himself the whole time, but the plot and schtick just screamed dude where's my car? all over again.
FKozik wrote:see you in hell.
mistersmith wrote:If you didn't want Horkey to tear you up you shouldn't have worn that short skirt.
MattTheCraw
Art Expert

Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:43 am

ottomatik71 wrote:Don't laugh at me, but I've watched Monsters vs. Aliens three times this week. It's too funny! The animation is amazing.
Yes I love animated films.
BTW- I saw at blockbuster that Rob Zombie directed an animated film..can't remember the name, has anyone seen that? Was it worthy?

Check out the Monsters Vs. Aliens short that got released at Xmas time - it's pretty darn good - something to do with killer pumpkins
ColdSoreSuperstar
Art Expert

Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:05 am

I'm watching The French Connection right now and it's pretty awesome.
not dead
chalkdust
Art Expert

Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:04 am

just watched Taking Woodstock w/ Demetri Martin. Pretty good.
MattTheCraw
Art Expert

Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:50 am

Heatwave in Melbourne, so went for some comic relief:

Major letdown - half a film dragged out - alot of fake "reality" - a long way from the glory days of Ali G - 4/10

Good, not great - only if your a star wars fan - I hate trekkies too - 6/10
iratasan
Flipper

Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:49 am

MattTheCraw wrote:Heatwave in Melbourne, so went for some comic relief:
kinda agreed.

i had to turn off brüno as well. in the original ali g show he was my favorite character, pointing out the hypocrisy of the fashion world plus creeping out homophobes. for the movie they reduced it to creeping out homophobes in the grossest way possible. gets boring after a while, then annoying, then unbearable.

the problem with fanboys is that it is a different movie than the director intended it to be, which in this singular case is a good thing. originally the linus-cancer-sub plot had a much bigger part in the movie, which was a shitty idea to start with. yeah, let's do a light hearted comedy with a huge and serious cancer-sub-plot in it. brilliant?!?!?! anyway, they removed quite a lot of that material and replaced it with extra scenes who have been written to fill up the lost run-time. that's why the movie looks to chopped-together at parts. there are quite a couple of great jokes and references in it, but a lot of the material seems hurried and badly written. the kevin smith cameo for example was terrible, the hooker scene was unfunny and too long .. etc. nevertheless 40% of the movie was great.

as i read the final cut will restore the original plotline, which is just awfull. according to the director the cancer plotline was the original motivation for the characters, but still in my eyes there is no reason to make that more than 0.5% of the runtime. after all it is supposed to be a spoof/comedy. in the theatrical version the motivation is mentioned and that's all it takes. if you make that 20% of the movie then it will leave ya alienated and with a thought of "what were they trying to archieve??" like funny people did.
greasy
Art Expert

Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:46 am

full metal jacket on bluray. excellent video and audio transfer.......not to mention one of the best films of the 20th century. watched it last night, simply epic.

speaking of, i watched the one documentary on the bonus features, a 'making of'. r lee ermy was originally brought on as a technical adviser, since he was a drill sergeant when he was younger, he was brought in to teach another actor how to 'act' as a drill sergeant. ermy wanted the part, and showed kubrick an audition tape of him portraying a DI. kubrick was unimpressed. ermy continued on as technical adviser, but lashed out a string of insults on another set worker one day. kubrick saw this, and instantly cast ermy as the DI. 50% of his dialogue ermy wrote himself, and most of that was improv on the spot.

awesome.
27 wrote: One time i was walking down the tracks when i was 4 yrs old and this train raped me in my butt.
http://www.GRAFantasy.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jayscollection/
iratasan
Flipper

Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:52 am

greasy wrote:full metal jacket on bluray. excellent video and audio transfer.......not to mention one of the best films of the 20th century. watched it last night, simply epic.

speaking of, i watched the one documentary on the bonus features, a 'making of'. r lee ermy was originally brought on as a technical adviser, since he was a drill sergeant when he was younger, he was brought in to teach another actor how to 'act' as a drill sergeant. ermy wanted the part, and showed kubrick an audition tape of him portraying a DI. kubrick was unimpressed. ermy continued on as technical adviser, but lashed out a string of insults on another set worker one day. kubrick saw this, and instantly cast ermy as the DI. 50% of his dialogue ermy wrote himself, and most of that was improv on the spot.

awesome.
fantastic movie.

that's a great, typically kubrick-esque anecdote. thanks bro. :D
maden
Art Expert

Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:24 pm

drummer7795 wrote:I will not watch funny people, I just can't look at seth rogan anymore I don't find him the least bit entertaining. A couple friends loooove pineapple express, and I thought it was a waste of time. It was like an insult to stoner comedies. I'll stick to supertroopers and up in smoke.

Zach Galifiniakis was the best part of the hangover, as he was basically playing himself the whole time, but the plot and schtick just screamed dude where's my car? all over again.
totally agree with you on pineapple express and the hangover. pineapple express was just too obvious. the hangover was just not funny. at all.

speaking of stoner comedies, i forgot just how amusing halfbaked is.
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

drummer7795
Art Expert

Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:35 pm

maden wrote:
drummer7795 wrote:I will not watch funny people, I just can't look at seth rogan anymore I don't find him the least bit entertaining. A couple friends loooove pineapple express, and I thought it was a waste of time. It was like an insult to stoner comedies. I'll stick to supertroopers and up in smoke.

totally agree with you on pineapple express and the hangover. pineapple express was just too obvious. the hangover was just not funny. at all.

speaking of stoner comedies, i forgot just how amusing halfbaked is.
Agreed. Half baked when Bruer was still relevant and chappelle hilarious as usual.

Also, Super high Me was good for what it was.

Without reading back in this thread I have to mention Animal House, the father and king of college comedies. The American Pie b.s. franchise and the spin offs of Van Wilder just aren't my thing anymore, I think I've just grown out of it, the predictability makes me cringe. It's like they're trying too hard to sell the laughs.
FKozik wrote:see you in hell.
mistersmith wrote:If you didn't want Horkey to tear you up you shouldn't have worn that short skirt.
fredo
Art God

Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:43 pm

Aside from being the funniest movie ever, Animal House is also a satire which gives it more legs/longer shelf-life, IMO.

Apatow and Co. are awful....except for Ron Burgundy.
just a foil for me today, thanks
MattTheCraw
Art Expert

Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:03 pm

Trading Places still holds up and has a million great lines - YEAH!
maden
Art Expert

Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:27 pm

MattTheCraw wrote:Trading Places still holds up and has a million great lines - YEAH!
eddie murphy was great in the 80s. coming to america is another classic
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around