Best/Worst Movies of 2020

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:12 pm

THE GRUDGE

Started the year off by taking a flier on this last night. I've never been big on Japanese horror so I went in to this hesitantly (also the Sarah Michelle Gellar version was hot garbage back in 2004, so I still had that image in my head.) The premise here is an American nurse working in Tokyo misses her family and gets spooked out and shortens her commitment in Japan to return home. Unbeknownst to her, a spirit has attached itself to her, which causes her to kill her family. Thus, the house is haunted and now anyone entering the house (realtors, police, etc.) will have the same spirit attached to them. For a R rated horror film, it's pretty tame with mostly jump scares and some "grotesque" images. The story skips around primarily between 2004-2006. Wasn't expecting much going in and that's how I felt coming out. Nothing special to see here. 4.5/10
DonPiano
Art Expert

Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:26 am

It's disappointing that Pesce was unable to bring the horror that the delivered so well with Piercing and The Eyes of My Mother to The Grudge series, but honestly... I'm surprised they tried to revive this at all.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:26 pm

DonPiano wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:26 am
It's disappointing that Pesce was unable to bring the horror that the delivered so well with Piercing and The Eyes of My Mother to The Grudge series, but honestly... I'm surprised they tried to revive this at all.
I'm not surprised they tried to revive it. It's Hollywood and the horror genre. They're both notorious for sequels, prequels, and reboots. They tried it with RINGS in 2017, so I was not the least bit surprised they did it with THE GRUDGE. I'd like to say that since RINGS and THE GRUDGE flopped at the box office and with critics that this will be the end of both, but I know that's nothing more than wishful thinking.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:52 am

It's cheaper to make a sequel/remake/reboot to something they own the IP to than to risk losing it in the future. Same goes for Jigsaw.
The Curb

Irishman12
Art Expert

Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:36 pm

DonPiano wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:52 am
It's cheaper to make a sequel/remake/reboot to something they own the IP to than to risk losing it in the future. Same goes for Jigsaw.
I completely understand the business decision behind it. Just saying I'm not so much a fan of these continuous trials to make a good one. I'd rather something new or fresh, even on a small budget (see BlumHouse Productions).
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:27 pm

JUST MERCY

The true story of civil right lawyer Bryan Stevenson (played by Michael B. Jordan) who dedicates his life to free innocent men on death row in Alabama. The movie primarily deals with the case of Walter McMillian (played by Jamie Foxx), who wrongly spent 6 years on death row between the years 1987-1993. Going in to this, you know what to expect: a heartfelt story about the injustice the criminal justice system and racism can reap and sow. Other than the tragedy that this story is, the performances are flat. Oscar bait, one in which I don't think the Academy will bite as this is a pretty forgettable movie. 6/10
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:45 pm

Beanpole
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:03 pm

BAD BOYS FOR LIFE

A very entertaining and satisfying conclusion to this trilogy spanning the last 25 years. Martin Lawrence and Will Smith are back to their old tricks again as Detectives Marcus Burnett and Mike Lowrey (respectively). The story follows the 2 aging detectives: Lawrence who's ready to hang it up and retire, while Lowrey still has the need for speeds, action, and women. While enjoying a night on the town, Lowrey is shot and left clinging for his life. Luckily it's not his time yet as he seeks revenge. But he has to go it alone with a new team titled AMMO, as Lawrence makes good on his desire to retire. I'm glad they were able to recast some old faces from previous BAD BOYS films, and while this was an enjoyable and fun ride, it beats out the sequel BAD BOYS II, but can't faze the original. I'm sure this is the end of the road for both characters and it was a nice send off. 6/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:54 am

THE GENTLEMEN

Guy Ritchie is back to his old tricks and this film is more in the vein of LOCK, STOCK AND TWO SMOKING BARRELS and SNATCH. However, compared to those, this film desperately tries to recreate the magic of those films but fails in its attempt. As Ritchie is known for, many characters to introduce at the beginning, followed by a lot of misdirection before the final reveal. While it has an impressive cast and McConaughey star shines the brightest, the film was too loquacious for me. Most of the film is told from Hugh Grants POV, who plays an investigative journalist, who's blackmailing McConaughey via his right hand man, Ray (played by Charlie Hunnam). The film will either grip you or leave you bored. And while I wasn't entirely bored, I was somewhat ready for the credits to roll earlier than I would have wished. 5.5/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:00 pm

THE TURNING

This is slow burn of a film that often repeats the same scenes but doesn't go anywhere with the finale. Usually even if the film is bad, there's at least a payout in the end. None here. Plot holes, with an ending that's ambiguous and that'll leave you with more questions than answers after sitting through this 94-minute piece of garbage. A film with a very weak story that even actors such as Mackenzie Davis and Finn Wolfhard can't do anything with or shine at all. I only hope the payday was worth it for these 2. Very reminiscent of a messy school project that was done the night before just to have something to turn in. 3/10
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:08 am

Holy fudge Color Out of Space was awesome. Probably the best straight Lovecraft adaptation I’ve seen. I seriously hope that they are able do more in their proposed “Lovecraft Universe”.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:09 am

THE RHYTHM SECTION

I was looking forward to this film going in to it as it looked like a great action, revenge thriller with Blake Lively stretching her acting chops even further. And while Lively gives her second best performance I've ever seen (behind 2018's A SIMPLE FAVOR), the story was interesting and had promise, but the execution is what killed it. The film starts out slow and I'm willing to ride with it as long as it picks up in the second half. Sadly, this does not. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a boring film, but again, a lot of promise and just a letdown after viewing it. For a woman seeking revenge, there aren't a lot of kills and not very much action either, which is especially surprising seeing as how both Bond producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G, Wilson were both producers on this as well. Disappointed! 5.5/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:44 pm

GRETEL & HANSEL

A wonderful live-action, retelling of the Grimms fairy tale. I find it interesting that they transposed the names in the title, giving Gretel top billing and I can understand why after viewing it. As much as Hansel is a vital part, this is Gretel's story. Beautiful scenery along with a nice, tight story really made this a pleasurable viewing experience. Natural light is used somewhat throughtout, however, in other scenes, the use of colors is very reminiscent of the original SUSPIRIA. Likewise, the use of nature and with this being a fairy tale, it also reminded me somewhat of THE WITCH in it's storytelling. Alice Krige stands out the most as the Witch (or Holda as she's called here) and young Sophia Lillis continues to impress at her young age with another great performance after going 2 rounds with Derry's menacing clown. Finally, I thought using the 1.55:1 aspect ratio was a bold but brave move; one in which I applaud and enjoyed. It works in 2 ways: the first being a symbol of the closeness between the 2 siblings, as they have no one else to rely upon other than each other after being thrown out by their mother. The second shows the confinement the children (and audience for that matter) have in relation to the Witch, where there is no hiding underneath her roof. Looking forward to seeing this again! 7/10
mattkardish
Art Expert

Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:16 am

Saw 1917 Friday night, beautifully shot. Could really feel the level of peril in some scenes. world war I was really something.
Also saw The Gentlemen last weekend and enjoyed that quite a bit as well, the story being told from Hugh Grant's POV was great. have yet to see Parasite and several other oscar noms. wondering if i'll make time to go see Bad Boys for Life.
Fathom Events is playing Blues Brothers for the 40th anniversary at the end of June, Close Encounters mid September, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest early November, will be going to all 3! excited to see them for the first time on the big screen.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:22 am

Birds of Prey. Really bloody good.
The Curb