2019 Oscars

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:42 pm

The nominations are in. Who you got? Personally I'll be pulling for anything related to BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY and THE FAVOURITE. Out of the main categories:

Best Picture
-Bohemian Rhapsody/The Favourite

Best Director
-Yorgos Lanthimos (The Favourite)/Adam McKay (Vice)

Best Actress
-Olivia Colman (The Favoruite)/Lady Gaga (A Star is Born)/Meslissa McCarthy (Can You Ever Forgive Me?). SO glad Melissa was nominated for this and I really hope she wins, although my gut is telling me that she won't.

Best Actor
-Christian Bale (Vice)/Bradley Cooper (A Star is Born)/Willem Dafoe (At Eternity's Gate)/Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody). Sorry Viggo but I'm pulling for just about everyone other than you (no disrespect to him).

Best Supporting Actress
-Emma Stone (The Favourite)/Rachel Weisz (The Favourite)

Best Supporting Actor
-Richard E. Grant (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists ... re-1172473
Irishman12
Art Expert

Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:59 pm

It was announced yesterday that in order to keep the Oscars to 3 hours, 4 awards (Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing, Best Live Action Short Film, and Best Makeup and Hairstyling) will be presented during commercial breaks. The four delayed presentations will be edited into a package to be aired later in the telecast and will also be streamed online via Oscar.com. The plan for future Oscars is to have 4 to 6 categories presented in this way. These 4 categories will be exempt from being "cut" during next year's Oscars. I do feel bad for those who will be omitted from the rest of the broadcast but as part of the viewing audience, I am glad to see efforts to shorten the show.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:15 pm

Irishman12 wrote:It was announced yesterday that in order to keep the Oscars to 3 hours, 4 awards (Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing, Best Live Action Short Film, and Best Makeup and Hairstyling) will be presented during commercial breaks. The four delayed presentations will be edited into a package to be aired later in the telecast and will also be streamed online via Oscar.com. The plan for future Oscars is to have 4 to 6 categories presented in this way. These 4 categories will be exempt from being "cut" during next year's Oscars. I do feel bad for those who will be omitted from the rest of the broadcast but as part of the viewing audience, I am glad to see efforts to shorten the show.
Without a host, one would think that plenty of time would be saved with the elimination of host related fluff.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
Irishman12
Art Expert

Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:13 pm

jjttdw wrote:
Irishman12 wrote:It was announced yesterday that in order to keep the Oscars to 3 hours, 4 awards (Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing, Best Live Action Short Film, and Best Makeup and Hairstyling) will be presented during commercial breaks. The four delayed presentations will be edited into a package to be aired later in the telecast and will also be streamed online via Oscar.com. The plan for future Oscars is to have 4 to 6 categories presented in this way. These 4 categories will be exempt from being "cut" during next year's Oscars. I do feel bad for those who will be omitted from the rest of the broadcast but as part of the viewing audience, I am glad to see efforts to shorten the show.
Without a host, one would think that plenty of time would be saved with the elimination of host related fluff.
True. I honestly like the idea of no host. Hopefully it can speed things up. Personally, I could do without the live performances of the songs nominated for the year. I definitely think that would free up some time.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:18 pm

Think about it...they would like to be done in 180 minutes. Knock off 40 minutes off commercials and 20 minutes for the songs nominated and you have 120 minutes for 19 awards. I don't need to see Hugh Jackman doing a musical number.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
rikkirattoe
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:14 pm

No chance Roma doesn't win Best Picture
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:45 pm

jjttdw wrote:Think about it...they would like to be done in 180 minutes. Knock off 40 minutes off commercials and 20 minutes for the songs nominated and you have 120 minutes for 19 awards. I don't need to see Hugh Jackman doing a musical number.
As much as I agree with this, no way they're knocking off 40 minutes of commercials and losing that revenue.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:55 pm

rikkirattoe wrote:No chance Roma doesn't win Best Picture
Yep which is bullshit. It sucks for the other best picture noms and for the other foreign pic noms. Roma gets 2 shots. It should have been one or the other.

PS Roma is the most overrated flick of 2018 and probably my least favorite Cuaron. ID RATHER WATCH THE LITTLE PRINCESS AGAIN.

Also going to be the first year in my adult life I don't watch the oscars. I don't know why they expanded the best picture field but never hit the cap. There's a lot of stuff that was deserving but how tf is that bohemian trash/green book/star nominated and Paddington 2/Beale Street/Blindspotting/Annihilation aren't in the conversation. I know Annihilation/P2 had almost no shot but beale/blindspotting? Come on. Paddington 2 should have at the very least received a best animation nom. Christopher robin :lol: :lol: :lol:
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
rikkirattoe
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:43 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:
rikkirattoe wrote:No chance Roma doesn't win Best Picture
Yep which is bullshit. It sucks for the other best picture noms and for the other foreign pic noms. Roma gets 2 shots. It should have been one or the other.

PS Roma is the most overrated flick of 2018 and probably my least favorite Cuaron. ID RATHER WATCH THE LITTLE PRINCESS AGAIN.

Also going to be the first year in my adult life I don't watch the oscars. I don't know why they expanded the best picture field but never hit the cap. There's a lot of stuff that was deserving but how tf is that bohemian trash/green book/star nominated and Paddington 2/Beale Street/Blindspotting/Annihilation aren't in the conversation. I know Annihilation/P2 had almost no shot but beale/blindspotting? Come on. Paddington 2 should have at the very least received a best animation nom. Christopher robin :lol: :lol: :lol:
Roma is the best film of the last 2-3 years' nominees. A masterpiece.
rikkirattoe
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:49 pm

What's pure bullshit is that Wind River got blacklisted at the very least as a BP nominee last year cuz the Weinstein effect and it would be bullshit this year if Roma didn't win simply because it was a Netflix release.

Fact that Black Panther is even a nominee is a total politically driven joke. No way that movie belongs where it's at and this year's noms are overall rather weak.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:55 pm

rikkirattoe wrote: Fact that Black Panther is even a nominee is a total politically driven joke.
I agree with that. Still pulling for THE FAVOURITE and BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY but I know they're going to come up short.
rikkirattoe
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:01 pm

And before I get called a racist for my views on Black Panther, Moonlight was my pick to win the year it did :P
veltri
Art Expert

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:35 pm

Cinematography and Editing are key film awards.

Oscar's better not even be nominated for an editing Emmy for that poor choice.
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:42 pm

rikkirattoe wrote:And before I get called a racist for my views on Black Panther, Moonlight was my pick to win the year it did :P

Moonlight was incredible and I agree 100% re: BP.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:43 pm

Moonlight, also overrated.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.