Best/Worst Movies of 2019

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:08 pm

Irishman12
Art Expert

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:13 pm

RottenAtom wrote:Irish, if you're considering an Austin film festival, I would recommend Fantastic Fest all day over SXSW. Way way more convenient because everything is at one location and it's set up so well. SXSW is pandemonium, traffic, lines, and the programming isn't as strong. Not having to commute or find food between screenings makes for a much more enjoyable fest.
Thanks for the feedback RA. This is only held in Austin, correct?
DonPiano
Art Expert

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:21 pm

I don't know if The Guilty is a 2019 release for you guys or not, but it is for me, and it's downright brilliant.

Watch it.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:33 pm

Irishman12 wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:Irish, if you're considering an Austin film festival, I would recommend Fantastic Fest all day over SXSW. Way way more convenient because everything is at one location and it's set up so well. SXSW is pandemonium, traffic, lines, and the programming isn't as strong. Not having to commute or find food between screenings makes for a much more enjoyable fest.
Thanks for the feedback RA. This is only held in Austin, correct?
Yeah. They started doing 'satellite' events a couple years ago, but it's only like 4 movies. I typically see 36-37 movies in 8 days at FF. (And there's lots more to choose from.)
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:35 pm

DonPiano wrote:I don't know if The Guilty is a 2019 release for you guys or not, but it is for me, and it's downright brilliant.

Watch it.
Great flick. Came out sometime near the end of last year if I remember correctly. It screened at Fantastic Fest.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:59 pm

Fantastic fest is a no brainer if you're into genre films. It's one of the best genre fests you could attend just about anywhere. i've looked into so many and the only ones that are on the same footing is stuff like Sitges & Fantasia Fest, couple others. Plus it's actually affordable, and has a variety of ways to get badges/get into films.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:01 am

DonPiano wrote:I don't know if The Guilty is a 2019 release for you guys or not, but it is for me, and it's downright brilliant.

Watch it.
yeahhhh The Guilty is so good. And supposedly they're already remaking it in english, d'oh.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:27 pm

US

Expectations were high going in to this after Jordan Peele knocked his debut out of the park with GET OUT. And while the latter story has an element of suspension of disbelief to it in order for it to work, the same is true for US. However, this is one I could not buy in to. In GET OUT the element of the story that required buying in too was rather small and almost insignificant in the grander scheme of the film. With US, so much of the story was built upon this suspension that if you didn't buy in to it, you're going to have a bad time. I applaud Peele for his originality and I'm glad to see him devoting so much time to the horror genre and his attempts to bring fresh material to the table. I just hope he isn't a victim of his own success and he can develop a film more in tune with his first outing, as this was not a worthy successor in my opinion. 5.5/10
DickButt
Art Expert

Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:18 pm

Loved Us. 8/10.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:53 am

Hmm, so, I saw Climax. I’m not sure if I enjoyed it; it’s certainly much darker than I’d anticipated. I didn’t expect a light hearted sex romp from Noe - I know better - but this was still way more of a gut punch than I thought going in. It’s well done though...
DonPiano
Art Expert

Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:54 pm

High Life was interesting. Good idea, well planned out. Very thought provoking, if a little too vacant at times.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
jlabbate
Art Freak

Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:18 am

Saw Shazam on Saturday and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was..light in tone but a whole lot of fun..one of the better comic book movies

Watched Us yesterday, and while i liked it, wasnt nearly as good as Get Out..and felt the ending was a bit of a cop out
RadRacing
Art Expert

Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:26 am

I thought 'Us' was a super fun watch. Glad I saw it in a packed theatre, added to the experience.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:26 pm

I too saw Shazam over the weekend. Was shocked to say DC made the better Captain Marvel movie to come out this year.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:10 pm

Also saw the early screening of Shazam and really liked it a lot. It was definitely goofy, but enjoyable as an adult and I would imagine 10 year olds are going to freak out over it.