Best/Worst Movies of 2019

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:10 pm

i've heard its super weird.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:14 pm

35mmpaul wrote:i've heard its super weird.
Just moved up a few spots on my list. :P
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:30 pm

Border is amazing! Definitely recommend it.
I'm slacking on 2019 viewing for sure.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:35 pm

I highly recommend Ruben Brandt, Collector - really fun adult animated film with an art / heist focus.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:19 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:I highly recommend Ruben Brandt, Collector - really fun adult animated film with an art / heist focus.
Perfect timing... I'm rsvp'd for a screening of it tonight and I was contemplating whether I feel like driving through Houston traffic to check it out. I think I will :pint:
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:57 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
iwokeinrelief wrote:I highly recommend Ruben Brandt, Collector - really fun adult animated film with an art / heist focus.
Perfect timing... I'm rsvp'd for a screening of it tonight and I was contemplating whether I feel like driving through Houston traffic to check it out. I think I will :pint:
:cheers: I think you’ll dig it.

I’ve got a double feature of Climax and Enter the Void this coming Tuesday, should be a fun night.
captainhavoc
Art Expert

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:20 pm

howdyall wrote:Again from 2018, but has anyone seen Border? I just stumbled onto it in the last couple of days, but being a Let The Right One In fan, and it having a ridiculously high score on RT (96% fresh), I'm considering checking it out.
hated it tbh. can't remember the last flick i saw that had such a bizarrely unpleasant plot.
Ayes wrote:Maybe all these dates who've been turning you down see you in your yard hurling cat food and blowing weed smoke at your neighbor's pets.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:48 pm

Quick reviews of movies I saw at SXSW:
Her Smell - This was an interesting take on following the career of 90s grunge rock singer. I didn't care for the way it was paced in 5 acts, but the director did an excellent job of putting his vision out there. (and the music was great).
Stuber - Of the movies I saw this will be the biggest commercial hit. Great rated R buddy cop movie that plays to both Batista and Kumail's strengths.
Red 11 - This is Robert Rodriguez's new $6,000 movie.....it's bad. The documentary he made along with it should be good for aspiring film makers, but the movie itself is just bad. You can tell he didn't have any time to be creative as he was squeezing this in his week off between blockbuster movies.
The Art of Self Defense - This movie slowly went way darker than I expected. A very unique dark comedy that I think I will need to see again.
Extra Ordinary - Favorite movie of mine from SXSW. Great quirky comedy. Think Ghostbusters if it was made by Tiki Waititi. Lots of great dry humor.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:36 pm

BENYOUNG20 wrote:Quick reviews of movies I saw at SXSW:
Her Smell - This was an interesting take on following the career of 90s grunge rock singer. I didn't care for the way it was paced in 5 acts, but the director did an excellent job of putting his vision out there. (and the music was great).
Stuber - Of the movies I saw this will be the biggest commercial hit. Great rated R buddy cop movie that plays to both Batista and Kumail's strengths.
Red 11 - This is Robert Rodriguez's new $6,000 movie.....it's bad. The documentary he made along with it should be good for aspiring film makers, but the movie itself is just bad. You can tell he didn't have any time to be creative as he was squeezing this in his week off between blockbuster movies.
The Art of Self Defense - This movie slowly went way darker than I expected. A very unique dark comedy that I think I will need to see again.
Extra Ordinary - Favorite movie of mine from SXSW. Great quirky comedy. Think Ghostbusters if it was made by Tiki Waititi. Lots of great dry humor.
Hey Ben, I've always been curious but how do you get in to the film festival at SXSW? Is it only open to press or are the general public admitted in as well?
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:47 pm

Irishman12 wrote:Hey Ben, I've always been curious but how do you get in to the film festival at SXSW? Is it only open to press or are the general public admitted in as well?
Anyone can buy a badge, though they are pretty expensive.
If you are local you can buy a bracelet pass, which is like $200 for the week and will get you secondary access (aka if its not full of badge holders)
Our depending on what you want to see, you can get in the ticket access line and just buy a movie ticket (if its not full from badges/bracelets).
RadRacing
Art Expert

Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:58 pm

Grabbed some tix to see 'Us' this weekend. Gotta love pre-assigned seating at the theatre (especially for popular releases). Anyone had a chance to see it yet at an advanced screening?
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:36 pm

BENYOUNG20 wrote:
Irishman12 wrote:Hey Ben, I've always been curious but how do you get in to the film festival at SXSW? Is it only open to press or are the general public admitted in as well?
Anyone can buy a badge, though they are pretty expensive.
If you are local you can buy a bracelet pass, which is like $200 for the week and will get you secondary access (aka if its not full of badge holders)
Our depending on what you want to see, you can get in the ticket access line and just buy a movie ticket (if its not full from badges/bracelets).
Gotcha. Thanks for the feedback. Do they usually show the bigger/blockbuster movies or are these more of the independents/limited releases?
RadRacing wrote:Grabbed some tix to see 'Us' this weekend. Gotta love pre-assigned seating at the theatre (especially for popular releases). Anyone had a chance to see it yet at an advanced screening?
I'm seeing it tomorrow night, looking forward to it. Also got my tickets for DUMBO and SHAZAM! Just waiting for AVENGERS: ENDGAME tickets to drop.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:08 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:
:cheers: I think you’ll dig it.

I’ve got a double feature of Climax and Enter the Void this coming Tuesday, should be a fun night.
How was your double feature? Sounds intense! I would love to see EtV on the big screen.

Ruben Brandt, Collector was great. I really liked it and I'll be surprised if any animation film this year passes it up for me. Calling it now, if RB,C is eligible to be nominated at next year's Oscars, it will lose to something less-deserving like Toy Story 4.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:13 pm

Irish, if you're considering an Austin film festival, I would recommend Fantastic Fest all day over SXSW. Way way more convenient because everything is at one location and it's set up so well. SXSW is pandemonium, traffic, lines, and the programming isn't as strong. Not having to commute or find food between screenings makes for a much more enjoyable fest.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:38 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
iwokeinrelief wrote: :cheers: I think you’ll dig it.

How was your double feature? Sounds intense! I would love to see EtV on the big screen.

Ruben Brandt, Collector was great. I really liked it and I'll be surprised if any animation film this year passes it up for me. Calling it now, if RB,C is eligible to be nominated at next year's Oscars, it will lose to something less-deserving like Toy Story 4.
Ultimately I had to skip my double header because my buddy had a family thing come up. We’re still planning on hitting Climax on a late showing this Friday, but that was the only showing of Enter the Void :(

I definitely want to hit Fantastic Fest one year, it so far hasn’t come close to working with my schedule. Hopefully in the next couple years though.