Best/Worst Movies of 2019

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:59 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:11 pm
don't know where else to post this but if you use Shudder, I'd recommend Tigers Are Not Afraid which is on there now, and to keep on the lookout for Dogs Dont Wear Pants, which just got bought by Shudder for North America. Especially if you're into weirder films like me
Good to know Tigers Are Not Afraid is available there; I missed it when it was playing here due to a shitty couple weeks when it hit theaters, will be glad to catch it finally.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:52 am

DOCTOR SLEEP

I didn't read the book so I went in to this blind and I did enjoy it; however, in the grand scheme of things, I came out of this movie the same way I went going in to it: a sequel to THE SHINING was unnecessary. The film doesn't take anything away from the original (thank goodness) and actually revisits it quite a bit towards the beginning and end, which was very enjoyable! I heard nothing but praise for Rebecca Ferguson beforehand and while I thought she was very good, I thought prior reviews gave her a little too much credit. McGregor I wanted to like at times as an older version of Dan (not Danny) Torrance. Sometimes I felt he worked, while other times I didn't. My favorite role was probably by Alex Essoe who's in a handful of scenes and to not spoil it, I won't say which part she plays. Overall, it was a fun, although long ride. The first 15-20 minutes and the third act are where I got my money's worth. 6.5/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:54 pm

FORD V FERRARI

James Mangold is a little hit (COP LAND, WALK THE LINE, LOGAN) and miss for me (3:10 TO YUMA, THE WOLVERINE). But I went in to this expecting good things and while it's entertaining, with a lot of racing, the films seems basic to me. I've heard Oscar rumors swirling around Bale's and Damon's performances (Bale's I can agree with, Damon's is a bit of a stretch for me). Other than that duo, the film is pretty flat. 6/10
ricv64
Art Expert

Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:00 am

Irishman12 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:52 am
DOCTOR SLEEP

I didn't read the book so I went in to this blind and I did enjoy it; however, in the grand scheme of things, I came out of this movie the same way I went going in to it: a sequel to THE SHINING was unnecessary.
I liked it . I read both books and thought the movie balanced out the book vrs movie thing alright since Kubrick did change elements from the book as did Flanagan . I didn't pine for a sequel but I liked the book Danny Torrance as a raging alcoholic how could he not be .
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:46 pm

CHARLIE'S ANGELS

I shouldn't have been surprised by how poorly this film turned out. A movie that's "woke," where identity politics are constantly thrown at you. A female empowerment movie where females have evolved, but men are still stuck in their old, sexist, never growing ways. And naturally the villain has to be white and male. Putting politics aside, horrible "jokes" are spouted throughout the film to balance out a few bad fight scenes. And to top it off, Kristen Stewart's character came off as ditzy and annoying. The movies reviews are panning it and for obvious reasons. Hopefully they don't make a sequel to this trainwreck and I advise others to pass on this! 4/10
geezer
Art Expert

Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:12 pm

Irish, are you a pro movie critic?
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:25 pm

geezer wrote:
7.5 years on this site and he’s only the second person I’ve ever had to mute.

Looking forward to catching Doctor Sleep and The Irishman this week. Going to try and squeeze in pain and glory too.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
deancc
Art Expert

Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:44 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:25 pm
Looking forward to catching Doctor Sleep and The Irishman this week. Going to try and squeeze in pain and glory too.
I liked Doctor Sleep, at least more than I thought I would. Nowhere near the league of The Shining... but that's to be expected.
Saw The Irishman last week... GREAT!
Saw Pain and Glory mid-year at MIFF... Great! Hail Almadovar! Banderas rules.

Saw Marriage Story last night... Damn! One of the most on-point pieces of film I've seen in a long time. Highly recommend going to see at a theatre if you have the chance.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:20 pm

geezer wrote:
If by pro, do you mean am I published? No, I'm not.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:08 pm

Parasite is probably gonna stay as my favorite film this year, at the least top 2 (Along with Midsommar)
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:24 pm

MIDSOMMAR is my 2nd favorite as of now (haven't checked out PARASITE yet though).
deancc
Art Expert

Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:03 am

Yep, Midsommar and Parasite rule. Saw both twice in the cinema. They're spots 2 and 3 for me.
jlabbate
Art Freak

Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:00 pm

Saw parasite last night and loved it..went into the movie fairly cold. it was beautifully acted, directed and shot..had some comedic elements I wasn't expecting, but were an added bonus. This along with Ford vs Ferrari and Once upon a time in...Hollywood are sitting atop my best of 2019 (so far)..hope to check out..Dark Waters, the Irishman, & A beautiful day in the neighborhood before thanksgiving
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:45 am

A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD

Tom Hanks does a fantastic job fantastic job in his portrayal of Fred Rogers and I'm sure this will garner him an Oscar nomination (which I believe would be rightly deserved). I didn't see WON'T YOU BE MY NEIGHBOR from last year but after watching this film, I have more of a desire (especially to compare how closely Hanks' performance was to the real Mr. Rogers). The film plays as an episode of the show, which I found to be an enjoyable take, although at times it almost seems the movie is about journalist Tom Junod as opposed to Mr. Rogers. Other than that, this is typical Oscar bait that may garner more nominations other than Hanks. Overall, it was a pleasant movie but once in which I'm sure many people won't have a long memory for in just a few months time. 6/10
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:42 am

Being a big Rogers fan, I feel kinda bad I don't have any interest in that film. Wont You Be My Neighbor was just kinda perfect for me.