Best/Worst Movies of 2019

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:33 am

READY OR NOT

Going in to this I was a little apprehensive as I anticipated a let down. The story is simple enough from the previews where a newly wed bride (played by Samara Weaving) has to play a game with her new husband and his family on the night of their wedding. The game that's chosen is hide and seek and while at first she believes the game to be harmless, she quickly realizes his entire family is out to kill her to prevent a terrible curse if she survives until morning. An interesting story that keeps you engaged throughout, doesn't overstay it's welcome, doesn't have overly elaborate death scenes and also at times seems to beckon to a KILL BILL/I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE kinda vibe, which I dug. A great performance by star Samara Weaving. I liked her in Netflix's THE BABYSITTER but she took it up a notch with this and I look forward to seeing more from her. 6/10
mrsippycups
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:43 am

Skrilly wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:48 am
Start a blog
recycler wrote:You do not need poster nerds to tell you what you should like.
ISO: "Champagne Charlie" sheet music cover by Alfred Concanen
ACCBiggz
Art Enthusiast

Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:19 pm

Skrilly wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:48 am
Start a blog
Join Letterboxd instead (assuming he hasn't). I love their service and a great spot for these kinds of quick reviews.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:18 am

Irishman12 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:33 am
READY OR NOT

Going in to this I was a little apprehensive as I anticipated a let down. The story is simple enough from the previews where a newly wed bride (played by Samara Weaving) has to play a game with her new husband and his family on the night of their wedding. The game that's chosen is hide and seek and while at first she believes the game to be harmless, she quickly realizes his entire family is out to kill her to prevent a terrible curse if she survives until morning. An interesting story that keeps you engaged throughout, doesn't overstay it's welcome, doesn't have overly elaborate death scenes and also at times seems to beckon to a KILL BILL/I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE kinda vibe, which I dug. A great performance by star Samara Weaving. I liked her in Netflix's THE BABYSITTER but she took it up a notch with this and I look forward to seeing more from her. 6/10
Wait . . . that's not Margot Robbie starring in this?? :shock:
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:57 am

IT CHAPTER TWO

My most anticipated movie of the year after Quentin Tarantino's ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD didn't disappoint! Picking up 27 years later from the events of the first film, Part 2 brings our favorite losers together for round 2 with Pennywise the Clown. Bill Hader as the adult version of Richie Tozier steals the show (much like Finn Wolfhard did in part 1). Bill Skarsgård gives another remarkable performance as Pennywise and with a runtime of 2 hours and 49 minutes, it didn't feel that long and had good pacing throughout. Rumor is there may be a director's cut which will splice the two films together and have a runtime of 5 hours or more (they may add additional scenes as well). My only grip with the film was the use of the de-aging technology. While I appreciate the efforts for continuity and to have the kids look the same way they did in the first film, for me, the technology's not perfect yet and took away from their performance during those scenes. I truly applaud the cast and crew for bringing one of Stephen King's best novels to such an incredible film experience. 8/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:34 pm

HUSTLERS

I'll start out by saying I'm not much of a JLo fan. She hasn't done anything for me, in any form of media. But I'll give her this: she pulled this part off. The rest of the cast (Constance Wu, Keke Palmer, and Lili Reinhart) as well as the film are enjoyable. For most, this is probably a non-theater movie, but it still surpassed my expectations. 6/10
DonPiano
Art Expert

Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:00 pm

Rambo: Last Blood. Sure is a movie.

https://www.thecurb.com.au/rambo-last-b ... rder-wall/
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:01 pm

JOKER

After watching this last night all I can say is, wow and that I can't wait to see it again. Incredible performance by Joaquin Phoenix. The hype on this is real. Very Taxi Driver-esque and De Niro slides comfortably into his Rupert Pupkin character from THE KING OF COMEDY. I'm glad this film really shined a light on mental health and hopefully this can bring further discussion to the conversation. I'll admit I was apprehensive when the film was first announced but the cast and crew knocked it out of the park. I'm hoping some Oscars are in their future, especially for Phoenix! 8/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:47 pm

AD ASTRA

Brad Pitt is sent on a mission to Mars to try to communicate to his (believe to be dead) father, played by Tommy Lee Jones, who is on Neptune looking for other intelligent life forms. While visually this movie has some stunning shots, overall, it's a very dry and dull movie with mediocre performances by all involved. Pitt probably has the strongest performance but his character is so detached and non-emotional, I question how much of a stretch it was to pull off. If you have any interest in seeing this, I advise on passing. 5/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:54 pm

RAMBO: LAST BLOOD

I'm not sure this is how the character of Rambo should go out and I'm usually not a very big fan of the "I told you not to do that, now you got yourself in a jam, and I've gotta fix it" kind of movies. And really, the only violence this movie had in it was during the final showdown. We probably didn't need another Rambo and this was Stallone's attempt at parting ways with the character a la Hugh Jackman/LOGAN, but I don't see why this movie got such bad reviews. It's a decent action flick. 6/10
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:12 am

pass on Ad Astra?! I'm ready to fight you!
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:21 am

it has its flaws but its quite special.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
Irishman12
Art Expert

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:39 pm

To each his own. I just didn't particularly care for it.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:09 pm

joker was aggressively OK. and people are heaping praise on it. we are in some interesting times.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:27 pm

i still want to fight you!